EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 11 Nov 2005, 09:31 PM   #1
Launched

The restore plan screws enhanced users!

Notice the details in the status post, "...although we’ll restore the smaller mailboxes first...".

The enhanced users have bigger accounts and bigger mailboxes! I'm screwed! I'll be last for sure.

So, the clients that pay the most are last to get their email accounts restored? Anyone see a problem here?
Launched is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11 Nov 2005, 09:38 PM   #2
Xenna

Standard triage, isn't it? This way more users will be helped quicker. Having a big mailbox doesn't mean your mail is more important. I'm sure there are plenty of enhanced users that are way below the GB mark. I have 700 MB, I hope that means my box'll be back up by saturday...

The more MB's you have, the longer your restore is going to take.

It's not an unreasonable choice, at least it's nowhere as unreasonable as deciding that 2 days downtime in case of a filesystem corruption is ACCEPTABLE.

X,
Xenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2005, 11:12 PM   #3
CML209
Essential Contributor

Re: The restore plan screws enhanced users!

Quote:
Originally posted by Launched
Notice the details in the status post, "...although we’ll restore the smaller mailboxes first...".

The enhanced users have bigger accounts and bigger mailboxes! I'm screwed! I'll be last for sure.

So, the clients that pay the most are last to get their email accounts restored? Anyone see a problem here?
And the enhanced users will be the first to go down again unless they allow us to move to another server.
CML209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2005, 11:27 PM   #4
inVision

I'm also an enhances user (for 3 years now) and my mailbox is less then 100 kb... everything is working fine here...
inVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2005, 11:35 PM   #5
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by inVision
I'm also an enhances user (for 3 years now) and my mailbox is less then 100 kb... everything is working fine here...
Only the users on server 4 are down.
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2005, 11:38 PM   #6
CML209
Essential Contributor

I just realized it's only Friday! So to hear that it will be down till the end of the weekend represents 4 working days days.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 12:59 AM   #7
nickbeee

Four days as far as I am concerned is totally unacceptable.
I would have hoped that FM had some kind of contingency to cover this. Obviously not.

I would hope that Fm will make some kind of goodwill gesture to those of use who have been inconvenienced in the form of extra service credit?

As someone who is in their third year of enhanced level service I feel that we have received the poorest service response. Fortunately I'm in a postion where I can manage my MX records and send my mail elsewhere, others may not be so lucky.
nickbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2005, 01:05 AM   #8
CML209
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by nickbeee
Four days as far as I am concerned is totally unacceptable.
I would have hoped that FM had some kind of contingency to cover this. Obviously not.

I would hope that Fm will make some kind of goodwill gesture to those of use who have been inconvenienced in the form of extra service credit?

As someone who is in their third year of enhanced level service I feel that we have received the poorest service response. Fortunately I'm in a postion where I can manage my MX records and send my mail elsewhere, others may not be so lucky.
I tried posting stuff here last year, hoping to get custserve. I felt that it might be a better way to do things, so they could see it in the midst of all of the complaints.

It was not until I directly sought customer support that I really received an answer. That is your best bet.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 01:36 AM   #9
jimmm33

I have realized that running my business off fastmail is a bad idea. When the only support option is posting in a forum, the product should not be used for important applications.

I'm currently looking for an alternative. I need a service that will allow me to host my own domain, check pop accounts and have a powerful web interface. I don't care what it costs. Anyone know any options to consider?
jimmm33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2005, 02:19 AM   #10
allpar

I'm enchanced and a heavy user, BUT I had very little mail stored (I assume) - I never used the file storage features. So it's not always punishing Enhanced users... and I suspect it is indeed triage, they might be able to restore 50 low-storage users in the time it takes to get 1 high-storage user.

PS> Jimmm, what about hosting it yourself? Exim supports most of Sieve. The hard thing is the challenge/response system.
allpar is offline   Reply With Quote