EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 8 Nov 2017, 08:49 PM   #1
ecwootten

Undo gets in the way

I've only just started noticing this problem on the web UI recently, so I'm assuming it's a change... not quite sure what's changed though. Unless it's a browser change (I'm using Firefox 56.0.2 on Windows 10).

When I move or delete an email, a little grey box pops up telling me that the action has happened and offering 'undo'. However, that box hovers over the bottom email in the list, meaning that that email can't be clicked on. (Maybe the pop up used to be at the top somewhere? I'm not sure.)

This is currently a constant irritation - move email, click on next email, be confused, click on email again, realise, dismiss box, click on email and actually open it...

(And yes, it happens a lot - I order my Inbox chronologically, so the most recently arrived mail is at the bottom.)
ecwootten is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 Nov 2017, 10:02 AM   #2
Grhm
Essential Contributor

I sympathise.
It sounds infuriating.
Here's an idea:
If you kept a dummy message in your in-box with a date that was in the far future, then that would always stay at the bottom, and the grey pop-up thing would no longer conceal the latest message.
One of the experts here should be able to tell you how to create such a dummy message.
(I know it's possible, because I received such an anomalous 'mail from the future' myself, recently.)
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2017, 07:12 PM   #3
ecwootten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhm View Post
If you kept a dummy message in your in-box with a date that was in the far future, then that would always stay at the bottom, and the grey pop-up thing would no longer conceal the latest message.
Thanks for the suggestion - that would certainly be a viable workaround, but my feeling is that this is a bug (or at least a mis-feature) which should be fixed. I've raised a support ticket for it.

Just for completeness, I've tried in a couple of other browsers as well: it's not a Firefox problem.
ecwootten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Dec 2017, 02:07 AM   #4
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Did you get a useful reply to your support ticket? The 'undo' thing has been annoying me too for a while.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Dec 2017, 02:55 AM   #5
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

A 'undo' box pops up for me all the time, or every time I complete an action.. My 'popup' times out and disappears after 15 seconds or so, and there's a little 'x' in the upper right so I can close it sooner if I want or need to. I use the Pale Moon browser, and the Dark theme.

- Bruce

Last edited by somdcomputerguy : 25 Dec 2017 at 03:00 AM. Reason: added a theme
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Dec 2017, 03:41 AM   #6
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

As you say, it times out. But it takes ages to do that, and for some of us it is annoyingly right over the top of something you might want to see. Having over and over again to click an X to dismiss an 'undo' offer that you might only very rarely want to select is a nuisance.

I wish it was elsewhere on the UI, eg to the left of the "Sort:" field, where it wouldn't get in the way.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Dec 2017, 03:49 AM   #7
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
I wish it was elsewhere on the UI.
I must say I agree with that, although I would've said in.

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote