EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 1 Dec 2014, 04:54 AM   #16
hal9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17pm View Post
Oh.. Not this again! Next weeks.. Hopefully until the end of the year, yes? That's 4 weeks!

Also, what projects? :P

Maybe I should tell you the same you told me 17pm...
hal9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2014, 05:24 PM   #17
kservik
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17pm View Post
I think upgrading the storage space would make an increase in the number of customers.. I think that increase would be more than enough to support the increase in storage space, which would be in favour of RB's objectives... I have no data to support my statement though.
As we have informed about in other threads, we are moving away from cheap (bulk) mail storage to expensive storage, so any large increase in storage space is not on the agenda. But it has been discussed a lot in the last 6 months, before we decided to go the SSD storage route. It might be possible to combine it with more archive-type storage, but that is further ahead.

It is also important to understand that large accounts that use IMAP are extremely taxing on our systems. Just think about it from the perspective of the email system. Large accounts can contain hundreds of thousands to a million files that has to be delivered in a very short time. Multiply that up with many clients per user and you can understand how one large user is the same as hundreds of more average users.

Had we only offered the webmail, then it would not be a problem as it is extremely economical as it only goes to disk to open the message you are opening. But IMAP touches all your files and that is very expensive.

We want to offer great performance at four different price points. Right now, the current offering suits the users we want, our financial needs and our systems and infrastructure.
kservik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2014, 09:14 PM   #18
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kservik View Post
Right now, the current offering suits the users we want
Ouch!
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Dec 2014, 07:01 AM   #19
kservik

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
Ouch!
Maybe it sounded harsh, but if we have too many customers with huge IMAP mailboxes (25Gb-100GB) and we go for SSD storage, that does not go well together. If we offered 100GB storage for the Max price point, then we would pay more in hardware, than the customer paid us.

It is more cost effective and easier to give a great experience to users with smaller mailboxes (up to 15GB). We do have email accounts up to about 30GB, but they pay a lot extra.

We can't be everything for everyone.
kservik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2014, 08:11 AM   #20
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
hal9000: We have discussed your request and if you really want a short alias despite the possible downsides we can set it up for you without changing the limit in the web interface. Please contact Runbox Support and we'll take care of it.

I think hal9000 AT runbox would be a great email address though.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2014, 03:59 PM   #21
jl66
Essential Contributor

Can we request the same Geir?
jl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2014, 04:04 PM   #22
dbowdley

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl66 View Post
Can we request the same Geir?
If you contact support and the alias is available we will set it up for you.
dbowdley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2014, 10:37 PM   #23
jl66
Essential Contributor

Answer from support: aliases with 3 characters were used long time ago and so there are a lot of them active now (or could be a security problem to those who used them before) and it´s very difficult to get a new "name" with only 3 characters
jl66 is offline   Reply With Quote