EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 25 Jun 2010, 04:12 PM   #1
ribrob

Changing MX Records for Fastmail / Speedpost

Hi there,

I'm trying to configure my email so it's handled fully by FastMail / Speedpost.

I just want email for my domain to come to come to Fastmail, and handle DNS for my domain with my external DNS provider, FreeParking. I've changed the MX records for my domain to...

in1.smtp.messagingengine.com
in2.smtp.messagingengine.com

...but even after a day has passed i get the following bounceback...

This is the mail system at host gateway1.messagingengine.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

<me@123abc.com>: host mailgate.freeparking.com[72.1.201.197] said: 550
"ERR201: Relaying Denied." (in reply to RCPT TO command)
Reporting-MTA: dns; gateway1.messagingengine.com
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 6135D107B92
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; rob@123abc.com
Arrival-Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 03:00:11 -0400 (EDT)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; me@123abc.com
Original-Recipient: rfc822;me@123abc.com
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mailgate.freeparking.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 "ERR201: Relaying Denied."

This is how my DNS settings look, have i got it wrong?

http://neonstate.com/dns.gif

Any help much appreciated!

Rob.
ribrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Jun 2010, 05:09 PM   #2
Sherry

Hi Rob,

Not sure if you already saw the FM Setup page but if you look down in the section for "Email only" it has two Notes that say the following.
Quote:
Note1: If you want email for sub-domains to come to us as well, you also need to set the MX records for *.yourdomain.com to the above values as well

Note2: Some DNS providers require that you put a . on the end of the MX server names (eg "in1.smtp.messagingengine.com." rather than "in1.smtp.messagingengine.com"). Try the version without a . first, and if the DNS provider appends anything, try the version with the .
Own Domain - Setup and activating

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2010, 05:47 PM   #3
ribrob

Hi Sherry,

Thanks for the response.

If i try and put the . at the end the DNS manager just strips it back off, so i assume it doesn't need that.

So still have the same problem

Rob.
ribrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jul 2010, 07:51 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Setting up your own domain with Fastmail

Sorry for this delayed response -- I just noticed your post, Rob. I have been a Fastmail Enhanced user for many years, and am very familiar with using your own domain. I hope you realize that only Enhanced level accounts (or the equivalent Family or Business accounts) can be used for your own domain. To check this out:
  • Look for the Options>Virtual Domains screen. If you don't see this screen listed, then you don't have an Enhanced (or equivalent) account and will need to upgrade to use your domain with Fastmail.
  • In the Virtual Domains screen, you must have your domain entered at the bottom Virtual Domains section, and at least one Virtual Alias set up for your domain at the top section. You can use * for the local-part of the name to get all user email names sent to your account, or you can use certain local-part names you enter in the table.
I checked your domain (which was shown in the image) with the DNSstuff.com tools, and your MX does appear to be set up correctly. So either you don't have the proper Enhanced (or equivalent) account, or you don't have the Virtual Domains screen set up properly.

See this Fastmail help page for more setup details.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jul 2010, 09:28 PM   #5
kathgriffiths

webmail

I am an enhanced used and am trying to redirect my business emails to my fastmail account. I have my website domain registered with my website host. Do I have to ask them for my domain registration? is it a number, its not my website address?I see on the help that i also need to input an ip address, is this also something that my website hosts provide?
Thanks for any help

[Moderator:] URL removed as per the forum rules.

Last edited by Sherry : 6 Jul 2010 at 02:15 AM.
kathgriffiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jul 2010, 04:30 AM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Setting up your own domain email at Fastmail

Welcome to the EMD Forums, kathgriffiths!

If you want to use your own domain name with Fastmail, you need to understand a few basic things about how the website and mail for your domain is controlled.
  • NS records -- These records point to the server which maintains the DNS records for your domain. So the main control for your domain is controlled by the NS record settings. You change the NS records at your domain name registrar or a reseller.
  • DNS records -- The A records point to your website(s). The MX records point to your mail server(s). So you must change your DNS records to control where website requests for your domain are sent or where you receive email for your domain.
See this Fastmail help page for help in setting things up. If you have trouble, see this post for details on setting up your Virtual Domains screen. You have a choice on how to manage your DNS records. You need to do one of the following (not both):
  • Fastmail Custom DNS screen
    • I think this is the easiest way to set up your domain control. In order to do this, you tell your domain reseller (usually on a website) to point your domain NS records to these two values:
      • ns1.messagingengine.com
      • ns2.messagingengine.com
    • After doing this (and setting up your Virtual Domains screen as described in the earlier links), the control over your DNS will be from the Fastmail Custom DNS screen. You can then set it up to point your A records to your website. The MX records will be set correctly to point to Fastmail for your email.
  • Registrar or website host zone control screen
    • If your registrar makes it difficult to change your NS records but they have a screen where you can control your MX records, then you can use their screen to set up your email.
    • Set your MX records to:
      • in1.smtp.messagingengine.com, priority=10
      • in2.smtp.messagingengine.com, priority=20
After all of this is set up, your domain website should be just as before, but email to your domain will appear directly at your Fastmail account. This is not redirection -- the email will be directly received by Fastmail servers, which is what you want. You should then use the Fastmail Options>Personalities screen to set up one or more personalities you can use to send email using your domain name.

On the Options>Virtual Domains screen, you can use * (wildcard) at the top Virtual Aliases section to cause any local-part (portion of the email address before the @) at your domain to be received at your Fastmail account. So if your domain was kkkggg.com, you could create a Virtual Alias for * @ kkkggg.com targeting your Fastmail address. In this case, any email address at your domain will be sent to your main Fastmail account and appear in your normal Inbox.

If you don't want to receive main at any address in your domain (due to spam at some addresses, for example), just disable the * wildcard and enter the specific email addresses you wish on the Virtual Domains screen. You can also target addresses so that messages are delivered directly to certain folders (using +plus addressing) or to external email accounts (using a comma between the accounts). For example, you could set sales @ kkkggg.com to target you+sales @ fastmail.fm, you @ gmail.com

Be sure to post back here if you have questions. This seems confusing initially, but after it's set up it will be easy.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote