EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 13 Jun 2003, 08:48 PM   #1
Arunav

Thumbs up File Storage service launched

We are pleased to announce that the new File Storage service is launched today. You can access it via web from the Files link in the main menu via ftp.runbox.com.

You can try out the service for free until June 22 with 100MB of file storage. Subsequently the storage space will be downgraded to 2MB unless you subscribe to Files, which costs USD 29.95 per year.

-Arunav

Last edited by Arunav : 13 Jun 2003 at 08:50 PM.
Arunav is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 Jun 2003, 09:15 PM   #2
hanslysglimt
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Great work Arunav + try it out folks

It has been a few hurdles to get this service right.

I reccomend everyone to try this service out and to give your comments ASAP so that we can address any issues emediately.

I have now backed up all my essential data on my account, and on my 4 MB broadband my 20 MB took less than 10 minutes.

I used to do all my backup by burning CDs, this is not such a great solution becouse after some time I started having CDs with all my data lying around in all cinds of places just waiting for someone to find them.

Regards,
Hans
hanslysglimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2003, 09:25 PM   #3
BKB
Cornerstone of the Community

Angry

I can't access the service. I get the following error message in the new broswer window that pops up (ftp://ftp.runbox.com/)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed.

Please try the following:

Open the ftp.runbox.com home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

Click Search to look for information on the Internet.
You can also see a list of related sites.

HTTP 500 - Internal server error
Internet Explorer
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps there are issues with the firewall (at work).

Any ideas?

Using Windows 98, IE6 & www.runbox.com

Thanks.
BKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2003, 09:32 PM   #4
Liz
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Could be the firewall, ask if they allow FTP connections maybe?

Or try this: ftp://193.71.199.94

Liz
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2003, 09:40 PM   #5
hanslysglimt
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Win 98 problem

I have also had a problem using Win 98 with IE 6.0

I am however able to log on to the service using:

ftp://usernameassword@ftp.runbox.com

The above should be: username colon password (no spaces)

This is not posible to integrate into the service as the passoword is shown.

I am able to read files, but not upload in this mode.

I reccomend you to upgrade operating system.

Regards,
Hans

Last edited by hanslysglimt : 13 Jun 2003 at 09:44 PM.
Old 13 Jun 2003, 10:06 PM   #6
BKB

I get the same error message with ftp://193.71.199.94

Liz, the network administor says they are upgrading the firewall next week. I will have to wait to find out if it is a permanent problem.

Hans, I agree - I should upgrade the operating system. But this is not a decision I can take at work, it is made by the IT team. Moreover, thinking ahead to when I am at a temporary workstation - where I clearly won't be able to upgrade the OS - I am surely going to run into similar problems with accessing the file service. This is a pity. One of the main advantage of RMM is that it can be accessed 'anytime & anywhere.' It seems to me the new file service - albeit a couple hours old - lacks this level of accessibility.

Just a thought.

Thanks,

BKB.
Old 13 Jun 2003, 10:11 PM   #7
Liz
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
But if your firewall blocks FTP accesss (assuming it does), then there is not a whole lot to be done about that on our end (other than providing for example webDAV, as we will later, and hope they don't block that as well...). By the same token, many can't use POP and SMTP through their work firewalls, as you probably know.

Liz
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2003, 10:22 PM   #8
hanslysglimt
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
Runbox.com
New access protocols will come

Yes,
runbox will develop new access protocols to the File Storage service.

We will have a simple web based interface and we are looking into Webdav.

We will make some form of integration between mail and files where you can move an email attachment from an email directly into files and send a file as an email attachment in the web interface.

Regards,
Hans J
Old 13 Jun 2003, 10:29 PM   #9
BKB

Liz,

The fact that work firewalls block SMTP and POP access illustrates my point. I can still access RMM on the web - this is 'anytime & anywhere.'

For this reason, I would be reluctant to put files into the storage service if I am not 100% sure that I would be able to access them 'anytime & anywhere.' I would simply email them to myself and store them as email attachments in a separate folder. This way they can be accessed 'anytime & anywhere.' This has the added benefit of not having to pay for more storage space.

I don't understand the technical argument for using FTP access - I am not a programmer. My observation was intended purely as feedback. I think this file storage system would be useful for users only if it is fully integrated into the web interface - and can be accessed irrespective of OS or firewall. I am not sure if there is a technical way of doing this, and I am sure you guys have puzzled over this when designing it.

My point is that I am work and even though I can check my email, I and am unable to try the new service. Therefore, I won't use it.

Thanks,

BKB.
Old 13 Jun 2003, 10:34 PM   #10
BKB

Re: New access protocols will come

Quote:
Originally posted by hanslysglimt

We will have a simple web based interface and we are looking into Webdav.

This is the 'anytime & anywhere' scenario I'm talking about - in which case I would use the service regularly!

BKB.
Old 13 Jun 2003, 10:37 PM   #11
Arunav

BKB

Did you tried ftp from command/shell promt? let me know what error you get when you do that.

Arunav

-There is always 10 different ways of doing things
Old 13 Jun 2003, 10:53 PM   #12
COUME
Master of the @

Unhappy Is it good?

Hello,
I just saw this thread and was delighted to see this feature, even if I do not need it much!

But I now, it is sure that I will never use it! At least not when you have to pay for it...
Because the 2Mo are too small, just a basic example as the one I would like to do:
- 300Ko my CV picture (very high resolution to be printed nicely)
- 1 CV in French
- 1 CV in English
- My bank account file (type microsoft money)
- Scanned images of the important files (example: Identity Card, Proof of address, and other kind of thing that you need to email to an online shop...)
But that's stuffs are more than 2Mo, just the scanned image are around 1,1Mo

Don't you think that 5 or 10 percents of your email account could be attribuated to file storage? I really don't need to share them, I would only use it for personal use, but 2Mo when you have a 200Mo Mailbox is too small... Anyway I think so, it would be better to have at least 5Mo... But that's just my point of view and I do not know if someone else will agree with me!

Regards,
Ludo
COUME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2003, 11:01 PM   #13
COUME
Master of the @

I also second the using it "anytime & everywhere" , and I also look forward to have the webmail access to the file storage (if the space become more than 2Mo)

Regards,
Ludo
Old 13 Jun 2003, 11:07 PM   #14
Arunav

You can get 100Mb when you pay for it. 2Mb is just for trial users.

Arunav.
Old 13 Jun 2003, 11:12 PM   #15
COUME
Master of the @

Yep I understood that...
But I will never pay 30$ for a bonus features... 100Mo is really too much for me. I just see this feature as a bonus features add to my email provider.

I reckon it is a great feature, to bring everywhere some important files, but the way you offer it, look like a new "Runbox"... you could make it available to non-runbox users and only market the internet space with this offer...

Do you see my point? Or does it make no sense to you?

Regards,
Ludo