EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 8 Oct 2003, 08:47 PM   #1
yajin

Angry some japanese from/subject header unreadable

Code:
related header lines of 3 messages.[list=1][*]From: =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCJVMhPCEmJSglJCVBISYlKCE8GyhC?= <address>[*]From: =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCJSQhPCVIJWwlcyVJGyhC?= <address>[*]Subject: =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOGZDbUo4JHI8dSQxSVUkMSReJDckPyEjGyhC?=[*]From: =?iso-2022-jp?B?ZS1UUkVORBskQkRMPy5ITkdkO3Y2SEl0GyhC?= <address>[*]Subject: =?iso-2022-jp?B?GyRCPiZJSkgvQXc9YEh3NDBOOyROJDRPIk1tISMbKEI=?=[/list=1]
The following happens in the message folders window in a japanese ie6sp1.

1. the text just gets garbled.

2. to 5. are 2 of 7 messages in a separate folder.
the header texts are readable or empty and those 7 messages are listed in 4 lines with the character set enabled to automatic,

When manually setting the character code to euc, sjis or UTF-8 the browser formats all 7 message lines correctly, but now they are unreadable.

But clicking a subject the respective message's header and body are readable and the character set is jis grayed.

It seems a jis char set/browser issue, but I have no clue.

Any hints welcome.

Last edited by yajin : 8 Oct 2003 at 08:51 PM.
yajin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 Oct 2003, 09:29 AM   #2
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Can you email me (robm AT fastmail DOT fm) with your account details. I'll have a look to see what's happening. I thought I had fixed most SHIFT-JIS issues, but it seems I missed some...

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2003, 04:14 PM   #3
Kevin Kirton

It would be great if Fastmail could solve its problems with handling Japanese text.

Here are the problems as I see them, and a possible solution.

Problems:
- Replying to a message with Japanese in the subject line or body causes garbled text.
- Selecting a draft email that had Japanese in it results in garbled text.
- Selecting a notepad item that contains Japanese results in garbled text.
- Japanese-language subject lines (especially those received from mobile phones) are garbled text.

Attempted and possible solutions:
- I have selected ISO-2022 JP as the default charset in my account preferences (doesn't solve above problems).
- I use a custom css with Japanese specified at the beginning of the css like this: @charset "JIS_Encoding"; (doesn't solve above problems)
- Lastly, I'm hoping that this will help Fastmail's programmers to find a solution. Quoted from a Google cache of:
http://www.unix.org.ua/orelly/java-e...et/appe_01.htm

Charsets are used by servlets that generate multilingual output; they determine which character encoding a servlet's PrintWriter is to use. By default, the PrintWriter uses the ISO-8859-1 (Latin-1) charset, appropriate for most Western European languages. To specify an alternate charset, the charset value must be passed to the setContentType() method before the servlet retrieves its PrintWriter. For example: res.setContentType("text/html; charset=Shift_JIS"); // A Japanese charset
PrintWriter out = res.getWriter(); // Writes Shift_JIS Japanese

Any Fastmail tech staff reading this? Is this something you've already tried?
Kevin Kirton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2003, 05:43 PM   #4
petergh
Master of the @

Kevin,

Rob (the guy who posted above you) is FastMail staff, and he's looking into it.

Welcome to the forums!

Peter
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2003, 05:58 PM   #5
Kevin Kirton

Thanks Peter,

I should have realized he was with FastMail. That bit beside his name that says "Representative of: Fastmail.FM" is a dead giveaway <g>.

The topic of web-based email services came up on a Japanese translators list that I'm on, and a couple of us mentioned FastMail but had to admit it wasn't really ready for people who do business in Japan in Japanese (although we both liked nearly everything else about Fastmail). Sending garbled text to a Japanese client doesn't look very professional, and they probably think it's because the sender isn't using a Japanese version OS (even though I am), which again doesn't look professional.

I'll be sure to tell the list when/if this gets fixed.

Thanks very much,

Kevin Kirton
Kevin Kirton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2003, 04:24 PM   #6
Ninniku

Also having trouble with garbled text when replying or forwarding messages in Japanese. I've tried some of the same workarounds mentioned above, but still no luck. It would be wonderful if this gets figured out -- it's the only shortcoming I've had so far with FastMail! (though a long-standing one ...)
Ninniku is offline   Reply With Quote