EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 12 Jan 2017, 07:49 PM   #91
PON
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollington View Post
Ah, makes total sense, thanks. I use an IMAP client more than the web interface, and I rarely copy messages anyway, so it's something I ever needed to look for.

That said, however, it appears that the discard duplicate messages functionality that PON describes definitely isn't working for me then, since even when I copy messages through the web UI, I do end up with duplicates. From the description of the feature in the advanced folder settings that's kind of what I was expecting, since it uses the word "delivered," so I'm not sure what PON is seeing in his case.
No, duplicates are not suppressed on a copy and I didn't intend that happened now. The new UI has a link on the bottom of the folder page to a screen which will allow you to count, flag or delete duplicates. I've recently consolidated some old mail across several folders of members of a distribution list -- most email is copies, but not all, and I wanted to archive unique messages.

I have seen different results using the two different extensions for Thunderbird and Fastmail's own dedupe, as in different numbers of messages left after running dedupe both locally and on the server end. However, comparing these is not all that trivial.

My go-to tool is Beyond Compare from Scootersoftware.com. In principle it should be easy enough to compare two directories with eml files. I haven't got around to it just but will before I nuke a local Thunderbird folder showing a higher number of unique messages.

Bron mentioned an edge case regarding attachments. The other difference I could see by eye was that it looked (at a glance) a bit arbitrary which duplicate got zapped in the following scenario:

Same message sent to a distribution list
one person replies
duplicates are consolidated
one of the dupes has a reply symbol, showing the message was answered

It would be nice if, all other things being equal, the dupe with the replied info was kept. Not a deal breaker.
PON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2017, 07:50 PM   #92
wakaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivil View Post
Sorry. Only fluent english writers can only write here ?
In my view, some minimal effort in communicating your point clearly is a prerequisite for being taken seriously.
wakaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2017, 07:59 PM   #93
vivil
Essential Contributor

I put my english text on google translate and he translated in French my mind at 90%. what did you do not understand ?
vivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jan 2017, 08:27 PM   #94
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by PON View Post
Same message sent to a distribution list
one person replies
duplicates are consolidated
one of the dupes has a reply symbol, showing the message was answered
It would be interesting to confirm (i) that the message id is the same; and (ii) that the only difference is in the message headers. I think such a case, while unusual, is permissible. The behavior for duplicate suppression and dupe elimination would be up to the mail program. I think most programs doing duplicate suppression would suppress the later copy, assuming it to be different in the headers because of a different delivery route.

If the mailer wishes to transmit a slightly different message (such as an extra header that indicates the message has been replied to), I think a new message id should be assigned. If the receiving mail program is aware that mailers sometimes do not do this, a decision has to be made at the receiving end as to whether to include special case logic to deal with the erroneous behavior or delete the new version anyway.

It is possible that Fastmail and Thunderbird have made different decisions.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2017, 12:14 AM   #95
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Fastmail only discards duplicates if the messages arrive in the normal fashion as incoming email. If the sieve script sees the message it's subject to duplicate suppression. Messages copied via IMAP or the web interface won't be suppressed if they are duplicates.
Thanks, Bill. That's exactly what I expected, so I was very surprised when PON implied they were seeing something different.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2017, 08:13 AM   #96
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Remind me, what was the topic of this thread, again?
Oh yes, it was the upcoming compulsory imposition of the new interface.

A number of motoring analogies for the current situation have been put forward.
The most apt motoring analogy as far as I'm concerned, is that I recently took out a five-year lease on a budget 4-wheel-drive ute, to enable me to get about on the dirt tracks in the outback where I live; but I've just been told by the rental company, which is based in the Big City, that in six months time my nippy little ute will be taken away from me and I'm going to have to exchange it for an expensive articulated truck with a huge trailer, which I don't know how to drive, and which can only be driven along motorways anyway: it is not permitted on, or suited to, the unmade tracks where I live.

Last edited by Grhm : 13 Jan 2017 at 08:18 AM.
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2017, 08:23 AM   #97
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Here is a key to my metaphor, for the benefit of the hard of thinking:
Dirt tracks = simple browsers
4wd ute = classic interface
Artic tractor = new interface
Artic trailer = unwanted extra storage
Motorways = bloated, overcomplicated, 'modern' browsers,
Rental company = Fastmail
Expensive = expensive
The Big City = Wealthy urban élites
The outback = the rest of us, who have to live in the real world and must be well behaved and polite, and pretend that we are grateful for the meagre crumbs that fall from the tables of our betters.
Old 13 Jan 2017, 09:42 AM   #98
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhm View Post
Here is a key to my metaphor, for the benefit of the hard of thinking:
Dirt tracks = simple browsers
4wd ute = classic interface
Artic tractor = new interface
Artic trailer = unwanted extra storage
Motorways = bloated, overcomplicated, 'modern' browsers,
Rental company = Fastmail
Expensive = expensive
The Big City = Wealthy urban élites
The outback = the rest of us, who have to live in the real world and must be well behaved and polite, and pretend that we are grateful for the meagre crumbs that fall from the tables of our betters.
I will grant you that comparing, say, Netscape 3.0 with the latest version of Chrome (preferring the former) is a good analogy to someone who complains about authorities putting a hard, all-weather surface on his simple dirt track. The rest of your analogy I think is more questionable.
Old 13 Jan 2017, 09:52 AM   #99
David
Ultimate Contributor

I, otoh, consider your analogy to be superb, Grhm.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2017, 11:13 AM   #100
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Smile

Thank you, David.
I feel better for writing it.
'Catharsis', I think they call it!
Old 13 Jan 2017, 12:10 PM   #101
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

You sound like an Aussie.....
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2017, 04:17 PM   #102
paul29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakaba View Post
Sounds like what you're suggesting is that if any of fastmail's subscribers "lose what they purchased" due to a potential change, then it should not be implemented, even if the majority of users benefit.
I don't understand how users benefit from shutting off something that works. If they're spending time supporting its users, that means people are using it and they should keep it available! I use it sometimes when my net connection is slow or if I'm using an old browser (like the one on my 8 year old Nokia N900). If maintaining the code is a big burden then the code itself has a problem. Maybe they could put up a FOSS client instead, like roundcube if that doesn't need JS.
paul29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2017, 04:25 PM   #103
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul29 View Post
Maybe they could put up a FOSS client instead, like roundcube if that doesn't need JS.
Perhaps roundcube is coming.

https://blog.fastmail.com/2015/06/05...t-development/
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2017, 06:17 PM   #104
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul29 View Post
I don't understand how users benefit from shutting off something that works. If they're spending time supporting its users, that means people are using it and they should keep it available! I use it sometimes when my net connection is slow or if I'm using an old browser (like the one on my 8 year old Nokia N900). If maintaining the code is a big burden then the code itself has a problem. Maybe they could put up a FOSS client instead, like roundcube if that doesn't need JS.
If you want to use Roundcube, I think it can already work with Fastmail. Of course, it will be a lot slower than using Fastmail's own clients but (if you like using 10-year-old browsers) you presumably do not care much about speed anyway.
Old 13 Jan 2017, 06:25 PM   #105
Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
That has been discussed already and denied by robn.
Cox is offline   Reply With Quote