EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 19 Oct 2003, 04:47 AM   #1
phate

Question Eudora 5.1.1 for Macintosh & SSL

Has anyone gotten Eudora 5.1.1 for Macintosh to work as an external client with either fast-mail.org or fastmail.fm and make use of the SSL setting in Eudora?

TIA
phate is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 Oct 2003, 07:45 AM   #2
Sherry

Re: Eudora 5.1.1 for Macintosh & SSL

Quote:
Originally posted by phate
Has anyone gotten Eudora 5.1.1 for Macintosh to work as an external client with either fast-mail.org or fastmail.fm and make use of the SSL setting in Eudora?
I don't know if this will work for a Mac but maybe it couldn't hurt to check it out.

http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2307hq.html

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2003, 04:09 AM   #3
neerav

Yup, use it everyday!!

Use the "Required (Alternate Port)" setting under the SSL part of the settings ONLY for POP and IMAP. Use "none" for SMTP, unless something has changed in the past year or so.

screen shots available under "eudora and ssl" at the bottom of: http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/imap/eudora-mac.htm
neerav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2003, 06:50 AM   #4
phate

It's working (I think). Am I correct in thinking that a Eudora 5.1.x for the Mac user must first configure "Personalities", "Personalities+", and log onto FastMail.fm in a non-secure mode in order to get all their mailboxes. THEN configure SSL?

If so, do I change my password on the website, in Eudora or both?
Old 23 Oct 2003, 07:19 AM   #5
phate

Unhappy

It appears I was wrong. After I configured both POP and IMAP to both use the "Required (Alternate Port)" setting in SSL, I sent my fastmail address a test message. About a minute later I tried downloading it using my alternate personality in Eudora without any luck. I think it's time to look at Mulberry.
Old 25 Oct 2003, 03:45 AM   #6
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Reminds me of my 10 months (October 1995 to August 1996) struggling to use Eudora.  At one point I was advised to upgrade to 1.53, but it was so unstable that I soon reverted to 1.44.

Even 1.44 regularly trashed my mailbox (though fortunately several hour's work with a disk sector editor always succeeded in recovering it; try looking in the Eudora newsgroup around April 1996 for TOC Format)...

Since getting Pegasus Mail I've never looked back, but after seven years' work I'd hove thought Qualcomm would have got Eusless working by now...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2003, 05:14 AM   #7
neerav

Quote:
Originally posted by phate
It appears I was wrong. After I configured both POP and IMAP to both use the "Required (Alternate Port)" setting in SSL, I sent my fastmail address a test message. About a minute later I tried downloading it using my alternate personality in Eudora without any luck. I think it's time to look at Mulberry.
Oh, stupid but basic question, does everything work properly without SSL first?

Have you set the personalities+ to use IMAP? And you might try to leave the mailbox prefix blank instead of Inbox. (capitalization counts)

Just to cover the bases, you know that under both personalities, and personalities+, you have to individually config the settings for each personality.

I guess if you have OSX, you have plenty of other client choices and I would definitely think that eudora would NOT be one of them. At least it won't be for me when I upgrade from OS9.1 to X. But if you like eudora and want to stick to it, we'll help
neerav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2003, 05:33 AM   #8
phate

Quote:
Originally posted by neerav
Oh, stupid but basic question, does everything work properly without SSL first?

Have you set the personalities+ to use IMAP? And you might try to leave the mailbox prefix blank instead of Inbox. (capitalization counts)

Just to cover the bases, you know that under both personalities, and personalities+, you have to individually config the settings for each personality.

I guess if you have OSX, you have plenty of other client choices and I would definitely think that eudora would NOT be one of them. At least it won't be for me when I upgrade from OS9.1 to X. But if you like eudora and want to stick to it, we'll help
Yes, everything works fine without SSL. And personalities+ is set to use IMAP. I had the mailbox prefix set for inbox and not Inbox. But I'll try both leaving it blank and as Inbox. I'm using MacOS 9.2.2 even though I've got a Powermac G4 with a "combo" drive with both OSX & 9.2.2 on it. The only part of OSX that appeals to me is the 'terminal' and its' shell. But I don't think either the pine or mutt mailers are available for OSX.
Old 25 Oct 2003, 06:07 AM   #9
phate

I just tried setting personalities+ two seperate times with a mailbox prefix of Inbox and then with a blank mailbox prefix. Also, each time the SSL settings for both POP and IMAP was 'Required (Alternate Port).

Each time when I tied to manually get mail for my fast mail personality, Eudora returned an error of 20 and stated it was unable to download the mailbox list from the server.