EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 5 Feb 2011, 08:54 AM   #46
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
BTW, *technically* there are 3 available -- not 1. There are Standard, Minimal, and Concise.
I'll repeat something I suggested in another thread: instead of providing many stylesheets, I think a better way to do it is to have an additional choice for stylesheet "variant" that would change only a few aspstes of the base stylesheet (mainly color scheme). This may allow fast development of several color schemes for the existing 3 stylesheets (and then perhaps one or two additional base stylesheets).

I don't think users should be required to directly manipulate css just to have a different color scheme. Direct manipulation of css/js is more suitable for users that want to do more obscure improvements on their screens.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2011, 11:10 AM   #47
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Basically having at least 3 style sheets should be part of the package.....from a marketing point of view fastmail are way way behind.

They love it.....we use it because of it's features....I really hate the Google type interface it's just not fastmail anymore.....
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2011, 12:41 PM   #48
the bishop
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellentk View Post
/* Show message counts */
.messageTotal { display: inline !important }

thanks!

not sure where to put this though. i haven't used style sheets,
if that's where this should go.
... and that right there is what I term a RobMuellerFail. You see, good ol' Rob said "too bad, you don't get to have message counts because I don't like 'em so nyah nyah boo boo" ... unless you learn how to add it via code. Yeah, I'm sure there are quite a few people here that just want something that works. How's about adding a checkbox like you do for other things. Guess not. Still a bit peeved how he handled that one in that less than worthy manner. Next time let Bron do it, he 'gets it'. kthxbai.
the bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2011, 12:44 PM   #49
the bishop
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
The battle of the old interface was lost, when it was vigorously pushed, but before it went mainstream (over three years ago) A withdrawal of support (at that time) might have made a difference. It is too late now methinks.
Yes, what David said.

Once Neil -- who was the guy that "Added the Slow" (tm pending) to Fastmail -- came around, we were doomed.

At least they have Bron. That guy is absolutely Fastmail's saving grace.
the bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2011, 05:39 PM   #50
bushman

Old Interface

I'm with the 'oldies' Did anyone actually ASK for this new interface? It is just TERRIBLE - a huge step backwards. Utter rubbish!
bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2011, 06:30 PM   #51
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

not exactly.....but a few yuppies wanted something like gmail as that was all the rage at the time so then we got the new U.I
I actually hate it but love all the other features so I have made myself use it, most of my family have moved to gmail now.

I have just signed up for another 5 years.....so I will probably keep moaning about it for the next 5 years.
Old 5 Feb 2011, 07:51 PM   #52
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman View Post
Did anyone actually ASK for this new interface? It is just TERRIBLE - a huge step backwards. Utter rubbish!
I don't know how many people were asking for the new design, but a lot were asking for the features that the new interface made possible. One kind of came along with the other.

As for the new interface being a step "backwards" compared to a design and functionality that was more than a decade old ... that's just silly.

You may prefer the more basic, streamlined, old school approach, and that's perfectly fine. I know people (including some in my own family) who still carry a clunky five-year-old cell phone and would never be caught dead with a smartphone because all they want to do is "make calls."

But to say the addition of more features, more functionality and the ability to infinitely customize the interface to your own needs and likes is moving "backwards" is not a fair characterization.

Paul
Pfolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2011, 10:52 PM   #53
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
I have just signed up for another 5 years.....so I will probably keep moaning about it for the next 5 years.
The new NEW interface is coming out shortly, so it should give you going for at LEAST that long.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2011, 11:00 PM   #54
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
I actually hate it but love all the other features so I have made myself use it, most of my family have moved to gmail now.

You voted for the new interface with your pocketbook. It is pointless to complain about it now.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2011, 11:26 PM   #55
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

Quote:
The new NEW interface is coming out shortly
I'm looking forward to this day and dreading it at the same time. I can already hear the people who are currently slamming the new interface weighing in when it changes yet again: "But the last new interface was perfect! Why did they have to change it!?!"

(I'm only partially joking about that, by the way. I've seen it time and again in all kinds of software forums over the years. Version 3.0 comes out and there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Then version 3.5 is launched and everyone complains, because they miss version 3.0. Human nature, I guess.)

Paul
Pfolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Feb 2011, 09:18 AM   #56
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
You voted for the new interface with your pocketbook. It is pointless to complain about it now.
Well it makes me feel better....
Old 6 Feb 2011, 04:56 PM   #57
hobbes

Quote:
The new NEW interface is coming out shortly,
So, that will be 2015, then.
hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Feb 2011, 04:31 PM   #58
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

I wonder if it will have sieve script
Old 8 Feb 2011, 03:47 AM   #59
Shelded

Quote:
Originally Posted by physci
And for me, it's not just a font issue, but rather a number of factors influencing the overall performance
Quote:
Such as?
Have you tried using a custom CSS to change the elements you don't like?
Physci said "overall performance." Not "didn't like the eye candy." CSS does not noticably affect the speed of performance of the new product, that is what its greatest fault is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellentk
I have two gripes with the new interface: it's slower and I can no longer see how many messages are in folders w/o extra clicking...
What is the suggestion to fix the first of ellentk's gripes?

None of my issues with the new interface have anything whatsoever to do with button placement or fonts or what can be fixed by style sheets. Don't confuse form for function. It simply runs slowly and is for that reason not a serious alternative. I take some offense at the repetition that those who favor the old interface are too stubborn to learn the new. I retry the interface occasionally and find it failing. It's not worth the sweat for me to hope it will be fixed; when it becomes the only option I will switch to a thumb-drive mail client to access FM, or forward hot messages to my smartphone -- but no "new" FM web interface for me.

My theory is that the new interface should not be used on IE by those of us who expect zippy performance. That's not really the fault of IE, since FM is the only site giving me concern. I won't discard IE to solve an FM development problem.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Feb 2011, 03:52 AM   #60
PFSchaffner

Displaying "to" email address on Compose screen

Does anyone know a way to tweak the new interface's Compose screen so that addressees entered in the "to" field, if taken from one's address book, display the recipient's full email address instead of simply their names? I realize that one can disable address expansion (which eliminates automatic use of the address book); or can remove one's address book entirely (which seems extreme); or can click on the names one by one in the 'to' line to reveal the underlying address (but that is annoying).

What I want to see is something like this: "To: john@smith.com,bob@jones.org"
or 'To: "John Smith" <john@smith.com>, "Bob Jones" <bob@jones.org>' -- NOT: 'To: John Smith X Bob Jones X'. The Outlook-like name-only display is meaningless to me, since I know many people with these names, and each of them has twenty email addresses. I need to know, immediately, which address I am sending to, not which person (and usually I know people's addresses better than I know their names anyway.)

FWIW, neither the old nor the new interface is my most or least favorite. The least-favorite honors go to Outlook; the most favorite to Pine, which has remained largely unchanged for twenty years, which is about how long I've relied on it!
PFSchaffner is offline   Reply With Quote