EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 28 Oct 2006, 12:28 AM   #1
random

Location of FM servers

Somewhere in the FAQ or Help, there's a reasssurance that even though Fastmail is an Australian company, their mail servers are in the USA. I think I might feel more reassured if the servers were in Australia! Are there any servers outside the US?

(I'm thinking about possible decline in service when net neutrality starts to suffer, if that happens, plus data protection laws are weaker in the US than most places. I don't want someone to start marketing to a stolen copy of the FM userbase!)
random is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28 Oct 2006, 04:31 AM   #2
NJSS
Master of the @

The main servers are at NYI.

The layout looks something like this.

The FastMail WiKi has a page about FM's Infrastructure
NJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 04:21 PM   #3
Abydos
Essential Contributor

Re: Location of FM servers

Quote:
Originally posted by random
Somewhere in the FAQ or Help, there's a reasssurance that even though Fastmail is an Australian company, their mail servers are in the USA. I think I might feel more reassured if the servers were in Australia!...

...data protection laws are weaker in the US than most places.

Yeh I'm often struck by the massive irony of that reassurance too & for the exact same reasons you mention.

I think it's been mentioned before that the servers are based in the US because most emailers are in the US (is that still even the case?) & for speed & reliabilty.....

(ahem)
Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2006, 09:45 PM   #4
JasonWard
Cornerstone of the Community

Re: Location of FM servers

Quote:
Originally posted by random
plus data protection laws are weaker in the US than most places
However because Fastmail business assest all over the world (some of their staff work in places other then than OZ) actually Fastmail are subject to the laws of each of those countries.

Because Fastmail has substancial assest (as in the servers) in the US, the US courts have juristriction.

Because Fastmail is incorporated in OZ, the OZ courts have juristriction.

Because Fastmail has staff in Europe, European Courts almost certainly have juristriction.

Basically because of Fastmails style of doing business your data is protected by many juristrictions. So your rights are strenghened not weakened.

http://www.groklaw.net has some interesting articles on the matter of juristiction particulary in relationship to Spamhaus (which is a solely UK operation) and e360 who are trying to sue them in a US court.

Jason
JasonWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2006, 09:03 AM   #5
snsh
Cornerstone of the Community

and let's not leave out FM's nexus in Micronesia!
snsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2006, 05:53 PM   #6
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

I think 3 should be put in the trash can...
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote