EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 22 Aug 2016, 01:26 AM   #1
m46ah_30
Essential Contributor

What's wrong with new version FM??

It won't load most of the time (white screen with word "loading" in upper left corner) and when it does it asks me every time either to log in or it throws me a "switch user" screen, even if I've checked the "keep me logged in" box! I was out of town for 1 week. My laptop was with me and and the desktop system was turned off. I returned to find THIS mess! Both have been rebooted and cache has been wiped on both without improvement!

Last edited by m46ah_30 : 22 Aug 2016 at 02:01 AM.
m46ah_30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Aug 2016, 02:16 AM   #2
fmail_fan

This is the third thread that's been started for this problem...

I posted about this on 18-August and since another user had the problem I decided to enter a support ticket. The ticket is pending - no resolution yet - it has been moved to development for investigation.

Here is my original post for this issue:

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=72035

I will update the original thread if and when I get a resolution.
fmail_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2016, 02:30 AM   #3
m46ah_30
Essential Contributor

This matter seems to occur on my desktop and laptop, both of which are running Windows 7 HP SP1. It does not seem to occur on my home office system (same network, router, modem) running Windows 10 under a different user; may be on a different FM server. Could it be one of the recent Win 7 updates?

The behavior is worse on the little used laptop. Once I close FM, if I try to open it again I get the "loading" page and have to delete the FM cookie to log in again. At least on the desktop I usually get a "switch user" or a "sign in" screen.

per Support's suggestions:

This should be because your browser doesn't have cookies or JS enabled. Or it could be due to some incorrect cookies.

I'm using Firefox v.45.3.0 ESR and have been since before August. I did not experience this behavior before leaving town on 12 Aug, but it was there when I returned.

The first thing is to make sure you have cookies enabled:

Cookies are enabled. FWIW Firefox saves 5 cookies for Fastmail.com (None for Fastmail.FM): "lang_" and "theme_" 2b2141af, and "d_", "f_" and "s_" 2b2141af There is no "saved session" cookie.

Also make sure JS is enabled as well:

JS listed as enabled in Firefox "about:config"

Once that is done, clear your existing fastmail.fm and fastmail.com cookies:

The complete cache has been cleared, including FM cookies and Fastmail Classic cookies.

Firefox:
http://www.firefoxfacts.com/2010/03/...a-single-site/

This web site will not open

Restart your browser and then try this:

*You just need to login once with the "keep me logged in" checkbox enabled and it should create a saved session. This means that, each time you go to https://www.fastmail.com, you will be logging in automatically.
*So, all you need to do is:
*1. Go to https://www.fastmail.com/login
2. Enter your username and password
3. Enable the "keep me logged in" checkbox
4. Click on "Login"
*Then on, when you are done, just close the browser window and next time you go to fastmail.com, you will be logged in automatically.
*It should work fine for you.

But it doesn't. If FM is not asking me to log in it is asking me if I want to switch users.

If that fails, can you please test on an alternate browser and see if it works there?

I tried just to log in on IE 11 and the behavior is exactly the same... log in or sign in as another user each time I try to open FM.

Last edited by m46ah_30 : 22 Aug 2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 22 Aug 2016, 03:04 AM   #4
m46ah_30
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmail_fan View Post
This is the third thread that's been started for this problem...

I posted about this on 18-August and since another user had the problem I decided to enter a support ticket. The ticket is pending - no resolution yet - it has been moved to development for investigation.

Here is my original post for this issue:

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=72035

I will update the original thread if and when I get a resolution.
If you update just the original thread we may not get the information if we are not subscribed to it.
Old 22 Aug 2016, 03:21 AM   #5
fmail_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by m46ah_30 View Post
This matter seems to occur on my desktop and laptop, both of which are running Windows 7 HP SP1. It does not seem to occur on my home office system (same network, router, modem) running Windows 10. Could it be one of the recent Win 7 updates?
No, it happens on my Mac / OSX system as well.
Old 22 Aug 2016, 04:03 AM   #6
m46ah_30
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Thanks...I was just about to start uninstalling the last batch of Win updates 1 by 1!
Old 22 Aug 2016, 04:38 AM   #7
m46ah_30
Essential Contributor

Quote:
I've made some additions to my long post that references the Support suggestions. You would not get notice of edits otherwise.
Old 22 Aug 2016, 12:20 PM   #8
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Sounds like you are using an incorrect log in page, try https://www.fastmail.com/login/
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2016, 12:47 PM   #9
kcrabbe

Same problem here. Cookies enables. JS enabled. Subscribed,
kcrabbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2016, 03:45 PM   #10
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
This should be fixed.
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2016, 06:50 PM   #11
fmail_fan

I've confirmed this issue has been fixed.

One side effect of this problem for me was a list of logged in sessions that had been left behind on the Password & Security page. If you have any you can simply log them out to remove them from the list (enter password at top of page to enable the Logout button).
Old 22 Aug 2016, 09:09 PM   #12
m46ah_30
Essential Contributor

Quote:
I've confirmed this issue has been fixed.

One side effect of this problem for me was a list of logged in sessions that had been left behind on the Password & Security page. If you have any you can simply log them out to remove them from the list (enter password at top of page to enable the Logout button).
It took a bit of trial and error but I think I have removed what needed to be removed (including the shortcut I use to open FM) and finally did things in the proper order that FM seems to be back to be normal for me, too.

Thanks fmail_fan for taking the lead on this.

...and thanks again to the FM team for running THE best and most user-oriented email client on the planet!
Old 23 Aug 2016, 12:25 PM   #13
kcrabbe

Thanks for the fix and the info.. Much appreciated.
kcrabbe is offline   Reply With Quote