EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 17 Jul 2019, 12:57 PM   #1
Mugwhamp
Cornerstone of the Community

Delete imported account

I just imported my Office365 mail account into FM, and I wanted to change my initial settings (using already existing folders rather than creating a new tree), but I apparently cannot, so I simply want to delete the imported account and re-import, but I cannot see a way to do it. Assistance appreciated.
Mugwhamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17 Jul 2019, 04:10 PM   #2
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

To delete a Mail Fetch

Import & Setup -> Mail Fetch -> view & edit -> click edit button on the account to bring up it's settings -> delete
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2019, 09:51 PM   #3
Mugwhamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
To delete a Mail Fetch

Import & Setup -> Mail Fetch -> view & edit -> click edit button on the account to bring up it's settings -> delete
Yeah, I see that, but it still leaves me with a folder tree. I’m wondering if there is anyway to entirely delete the account that I added.
Old 18 Jul 2019, 06:59 AM   #4
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Folder deletion needs to be handled separately. You can delete either from the folders settings or the drop down menu (clicking the 3 dots) when hovering over the folder in the main mail folder list.

I just did a couple of experiments with this. I was able to delete an outer folder containing an inner folder even when each folder was not empty. So if you have a folder tree of nested folders simply deleting the top most folder wipes out everything nested under it even if not empty.
Old 18 Jul 2019, 06:33 PM   #5
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy;610839I just did a couple of experiments with this. I was able to delete an outer folder containing an inner folder [I
even when each folder was not empty[/i]. So if you have a folder tree of nested folders simply deleting the top most folder wipes out everything nested under it even if not empty.
Does the process ask for confirmation when a delete will affect nothing else? (That would seem to be fair enough.)

How about if mails/subfolders will be affected? I HOPE there's a confirm.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2019, 07:44 PM   #6
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
Does the process ask for confirmation when a delete will affect nothing else? (That would seem to be fair enough
When you attempt the delete I get a (browser generated, I use Firefox) dialog that says:

Quote:
Permanently delete this folder, all subfolders, and all the messages they contain? This cannot be undone.
It will omit the "all subfolders," if deleting a single folder and It will also tell you how many messages are being deleted in the folder you are operating upon but doesn't tell you about the number of messages in the subfolder(s).

Quote:
How about if mails/subfolders will be affected? I HOPE there's a confirm.
That dialog gives you a chance to cancel or accept. As I think I said before deleting a parent folder deletes all its subfolders.

Note, it's simple enough to test this out yourself like I did. Simply create two folders, "outer" with no parent and "inner" with "outer" being "inner"s parent. Toss a unneeded message in each (say from the trash or whatever) and play around.
Old 19 Jul 2019, 02:11 AM   #7
Mugwhamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
Folder deletion needs to be handled separately. You can delete either from the folders settings or the drop down menu (clicking the 3 dots) when hovering over the folder in the main mail folder list.

I just did a couple of experiments with this. I was able to delete an outer folder containing an inner folder even when each folder was not empty. So if you have a folder tree of nested folders simply deleting the top most folder wipes out everything nested under it even if not empty.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, did note that I can manually delete folders. I just don’t know why there isn’t a function to delete the entire imported account in one fell swoop.