EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 10 Apr 2017, 11:53 PM   #1
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Recovering old username at Yahoo

No, I'm not a fan of Yahoo (I do like Flickr to some extent) but the situation is this: I have a few accounts on forums that were registered with an old yahoo.dk address. I lost that email account due to inactivity though, as I stopped using Yahoo about a decade ago. I never bothered to change my email address of registration, because I figured that if an email account is not existing anymore, no spam can come my way from those sites that have it as contact address.

Today however I bounced on this article. Apparently if an account goes defunct due to inactivity, the email address becomes available again for others to register. Imagine that'd happen, they could abuse my accounts at websites I registered at using that old Yahoo.dk address.

I got two options:
- change email contact at those sites and use a throw-away email address for that that I would use only for registering at websites with (but which provider?? I already got Gmail and Outlook.be which I use for actual correspondence)

- re-register that old username with Yahoo. I tried the latter, but when going to mail.yahoo.dk and going to the option to create a new account, there is no option to change @yahoo.com to @yahoo.dk ; registering a yahoo.com address while I subscribed to those websites using a @yahoo.dk address wouldn't solve the problem. How can I sign up for a @yahoo.dk address?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11 Apr 2017, 03:18 AM   #2
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

I think you cant anymore. Nowadays its only possible to register new yahoo accounts with .com ending..!!

I also have a yahoo.nl address which i do NOT use on a daily basis...but once every 2 months or so I log in..just for the fun of it. And to keep them going.

D
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2017, 04:20 AM   #3
altmodisch

Yahoo, Inc., shut down its Danish subsidiary at the end of 2013, so I highly doubt that you'll be able to create new email accounts in this domain.

Use Google translate or similar to read this article:

http://borsen.dk/nyheder//artikel/1/...i_danmark.html
altmodisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2017, 10:16 AM   #4
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Does Yahoo have a policy where each username can exist only once, regardless of suffix? Or does a username exist once per suffix?

In other words, if I had example-of-email-address@yahoo.dk ; if I register that exact same username with yahoo.com (so example-of-email-address@yahoo.com) would that make the username "taken" in all suffixes Yahoo provides?
Old 23 Jun 2017, 03:24 AM   #5
Mike Blake

Yahoo mail domains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Does Yahoo have a policy where each username can exist only once, regardless of suffix? Or does a username exist once per suffix?

In other words, if I had example-of-email-address@yahoo.dk ; if I register that exact same username with yahoo.com (so example-of-email-address@yahoo.com) would that make the username "taken" in all suffixes Yahoo provides?
They didn't, can't say currently. I used to have mikeblake@ both rocketmail and Ymail and maybe Y7.com when you could do that, but forgot about them and they don't work anymore.
Mike Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jul 2017, 07:28 AM   #6
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

So a specific username taken at @yahoo.com doesn't necessarily mean that the same username is also unavailable at other ccTLDs of Yahoo?

Well, if yahoo.dk doesn't take new registrations for now, I guess nobody can register the old email address I used to have ...
Old 5 Jul 2017, 01:42 AM   #7
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

I believe new addresses can now be registered only in @yahoo.com . Existing @yahoo.tld (where tld != com) addresses remain active.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote