EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 16 Feb 2009, 05:26 AM   #1
vans

Can you recommend a domain hosting company?

I would be grateful for any suggestions you may have for hopefully, a cheap domain hosting company. It needs to provide full DNS control, so I can transfer the MX record to another provider (Gmail or Eumx).

In the past I have used UK2.net, but they charge a little over £16.00 p.a. to upgrade the standard hosting plan to full DNS control. I have also use Easyspace, a good company but they charge a lot if you want to transfer the domain.

Thanks
vans is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 Feb 2009, 05:37 AM   #2
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vans View Post
I would be grateful for any suggestions you may have for hopefully, a cheap domain hosting company. It needs to provide full DNS control, so I can transfer the MX record to another provider (Gmail or Eumx).

In the past I have used UK2.net, but they charge a little over £16.00 p.a. to upgrade the standard hosting plan to full DNS control. I have also use Easyspace, a good company but they charge a lot if you want to transfer the domain.

Thanks
I would recommend to use Namecheap.com. They are very reliable and have an excellent (full featured) control panel. GoDaddy is possibly a little cheaper but I would not use them myself.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2009, 04:45 PM   #3
marcus0263
Cornerstone of the Community

MMM, I've been using HFW Domains for some time now, really decent. Fair price, good options like .name registrations and whois proxy.

For DNS I also use DNS Made Easy, very good and also pretty cheap.

GoDaddy is just evil
marcus0263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2009, 09:59 AM   #4
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I've been very happy with DNS Made Easy for my DNS services.I think they are top notch.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2009, 10:50 AM   #5
theog
= Permanently banned =

have all of my domains at godaddy.... you can send the mx where you want directly from their control panel... your domain provider should allow you to do this for free... if not, go to a company that will....
theog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2009, 06:59 PM   #6
vans

Quote:
Originally Posted by theog View Post
have all of my domains at godaddy.... you can send the mx where you want directly from their control panel... your domain provider should allow you to do this for free... if not, go to a company that will....
Theog, you are right, I should go to another company and hence my original question. I just want to make sure that when I do move I don't find another hidden charge for MX management.
Old 19 Feb 2009, 09:28 AM   #7
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Theog, you are right, I should go to another company and hence my original question. I just want to make sure that when I do move I don't find another hidden charge for MX management.
Ah... there are several domain companies that people recommend... I like godaddy.... others like namecheap... others don't like godaddy... but love another company... most of the main companies have free domain mx posting, far as I know...
theog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2009, 09:57 AM   #8
David
Ultimate Contributor

I would advise to do your research before you use GoDaddy.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2009, 04:45 PM   #9
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
I'm using Domaindiscount24.com. Never had a problem with it. Dd24 is the portal part of Key-Systems. Some of my MX records are redirected to EuMX.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2009, 09:40 PM   #10
marcus0263
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I would advise to do your research before you use GoDaddy.
Yep, GoDaddy is just evil, I would avoid them like the Plague. They have more than their fair share of nightmare stories out there like here
marcus0263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2009, 10:34 PM   #11
ukgangster

Have a look at DomainMonster. They are not the cheapest, but they do have 3 nameservers, when most have only 2. They also allow full DNS control, MX, CNAME, SPF, TXT, A, NS & Glue records.

I have used GoDaddy in the past, and while it seems reliable for domain hosting, the control panel is ALWAYS slowwwwwww.
ukgangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2009, 12:47 AM   #12
William9
The "e" in e-mail

The customer may have his domain registrar and DNS services provider with different companies. DNS service providers such as ZoneEdit and DNS Made Easy provide very granular DNS settings, sometimes with options that are not available through the domain name registrar's website.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2009, 01:23 AM   #13
vans

William9, thanks for the suggestion. The only DNS action I can undertake with UK2.net, without paying extra is to change my name server. Is that all I would have to do to use a company like ZoneEdit (I notice up to 5 domains are free)?

Thanks
Old 23 Feb 2009, 02:36 AM   #14
ukgangster

Quote:
William9, thanks for the suggestion. The only DNS action I can undertake with UK2.net, without paying extra is to change my name server. Is that all I would have to do to use a company like ZoneEdit (I notice up to 5 domains are free)?

Thanks
Thats correct.

I'm amazed that uk2 are charging to make DNS changes - I've never come across one that does this.

Just out of interest, is your domain a .co.uk? If so, you could transfer it free* using the IPS Tag to another company that allows DNS control. I've done this a few times and it only takes an hour at most.

(*unless uk2 charge for that as well!)
ukgangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2009, 03:51 AM   #15
vans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukgangster View Post
Thats correct.

I'm amazed that uk2 are charging to make DNS changes - I've never come across one that does this.

Just out of interest, is your domain a .co.uk? If so, you could transfer it free* using the IPS Tag to another company that allows DNS control. I've done this a few times and it only takes an hour at most.

(*unless uk2 charge for that as well!)
No it's a .com.

I sent an email to UK2.net to ask how much it costs to transfer a domain. It took them nearly a week to reply. It cost £12.99 to transfer if the domain has been registered with them for less than 2 years, free if it has been registered for more than a year. So I can move it for free. I will try ZoneEdit, but I think I will still end up moving the domain. Charging for things that are normally free leaves a bad taste and doesn't inspire confidence