EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 4 Aug 2016, 11:15 AM   #16
robinb

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by wam View Post
I was trying this since over a day but finally switched back to old trusted mail.messagingengine.com and all is back to normal now.
Has anyone actually got their OSX Mail folders working OK, or are we all back on mail.messagingengine.com?
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Aug 2016, 11:51 AM   #17
mballas
Essential Contributor

OS X Mail is working fine here with new servers, removing the INBOX from advanced, and using app-specific passwords. Be sure to restart Mail after making the changes.
mballas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Aug 2016, 11:53 AM   #18
robinb

Thanks for that. Yes, I tried those options. Do you have non-standard folders and sub-folders i.e. My Archives/Topic1, My Archives/Topic2 etc?

Edit. Since you gave me hope, I have tried again. No, my sub-folders (as above) remain blank. OSX Mail allows me to move an email to a sub-folder, and I can see it there under Mail OK. BUT the email is not visible in the Web Fastmail. Also, the other emails in the folder that are visible under Web Fastmail, are not visible under OSX Mail.
Back to mail.messaging agin....hey ho!

Last edited by robinb : 4 Aug 2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 4 Aug 2016, 01:40 PM   #19
mballas
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
Thanks for that. Yes, I tried those options. Do you have non-standard folders and sub-folders i.e. My Archives/Topic1, My Archives/Topic2 etc?
I do not have subfolders. However, I just created two subfolders in Mail and i added emails to one of them. When I opened the Webmail, I didn't see them. But after I logged out and reopened I found them. If the original folder was Myfolder, and I created subfolders sub1 and sub2 under Myfolder, when I looked again in the Webmail, the subfolders appeared at the top of the folder list as Myfolder.sub1 and Myyfolder.sub2. I could move them down the list to Myfolder and they then appeared as indented subfolders of Myfolder. The contents of Myfolder.sub1 were seen in both OS X and in Webmail.

Last edited by mballas : 4 Aug 2016 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Additional sentence. Modified spelling of one of the subfolders
Old 4 Aug 2016, 01:58 PM   #20
robinb

Thanks for that. I have just heard from Fastmail Support, the problem has been passed to Level 2 and they will look at it in due course.
Old 4 Aug 2016, 02:04 PM   #21
mballas
Essential Contributor

I have to update my last post again. I originally added emails to one of my newly created subfolders and they appeared in the subfolder in Mail. However after I opened the Webmail and saw them in the same subfolder there, when I went back to Mail, those e-mails are now no longer visible in Mail.
Old 4 Aug 2016, 03:33 PM   #22
robinb

Thanks for that. At least I have a mate now with the same problem!
Fastmail support have replied that everything should be OK, with the caveat that we may need to totally clear Mail FASTMAIL setup first in order to avoid any cache issues. I have already tried that a number of times.
I have gone beck to 'the old system, as I have wasted far to many hours trying to find a fix.

UPDATE. I have it fixed! The steps that I took were:
* Turn off Fastmail in OSX Mail
* Close Mail
* Clear all references to Fastmail in Users/(Name)/Library/Mail
* I then cleaned up my system using MacClean (I am not sure if this helped, but it offered me an assurance that I was clearing the cache properly)
* Opened Mail
* Set up a new Fastmail account but did not let Mail handle the settings at all i.e. I did not enter my Fastmail Username to start off with i.e. I forced Mail to make me enter all the settings.
* All OK!

Last edited by robinb : 4 Aug 2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 5 Aug 2016, 06:29 AM   #23
gj15

Now you have things working, there’s one more setting in two places you might want to change.

In the Preferences > Accounts > Advanced tab remove the check from the “Automatically detect and maintain account settings” box.

Similarly in the Preferences > Accounts > Account Information tab go in to the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): dropdown and Edit SMTP Server List… Select the appropriate server if you have more than one and on the Advanced tab again remove the check from the “Automatically detect and maintain account settings” box.

The “Automatic” feature can change them unexpectedly back to *.messagingengine.com server names. You may not notice when this happens as it seems (after only limited testing) app specific credentials are being accepted through the *.messagingengine.com server names.

More can be found here http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=62769 in a thread dating from 2011. If you try the Mail Setup Assistant referred to in that thread it is currently offering messagingengine.com details.
gj15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Aug 2016, 03:10 PM   #24
wam

Quote:

UPDATE. I have it fixed! The steps that I took were:
* Turn off Fastmail in OSX Mail
* Close Mail
* Clear all references to Fastmail in Users/(Name)/Library/Mail
* I then cleaned up my system using MacClean (I am not sure if this helped, but it offered me an assurance that I was clearing the cache properly)
* Opened Mail
* Set up a new Fastmail account but did not let Mail handle the settings at all i.e. I did not enter my Fastmail Username to start off with i.e. I forced Mail to make me enter all the settings.
* All OK!
Made changes as suggested and downloading emails. It will take few hours. I will report if I can see emails in the subfolders or not.

Why cant we continue using messagingengine server? will it stop working?
wam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Aug 2016, 04:07 PM   #25
robinb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gj15 View Post
Now you have things working, there’s one more setting in two places you might want to change.
Good points. Thanks!
Old 5 Aug 2016, 08:20 PM   #26
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by wam View Post
Made changes as suggested and downloading emails. It will take few hours. I will report if I can see emails in the subfolders or not.

Why cant we continue using messagingengine server? will it stop working?
It is my understanding that the messagingengine.com server should continue working for the foreseeable future. However, you would need to use the master password. The old alternative logins will no longer be available. The (better) replacements of application passwords work only with the new servers.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Aug 2016, 09:40 PM   #27
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
It is my understanding that the messagingengine.com server should continue working for the foreseeable future. However, you would need to use the master password. The old alternative logins will no longer be available. The (better) replacements of application passwords work only with the new servers.
App passwords work with both server names. The master passwords only work with the messagingengine.com names.
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Aug 2016, 10:14 PM   #28
fmail_fan

I'm still trying to get a Mac client app that will connect up with FastMail and consistently retrieve and display all of my personal folders. I've been working with the Mac Mail app, AirMail 3 and PostBox. I'm also experiencing problems with my Android app (BlueMail) that had been working fine up until a few days ago. The 'standard' folders (Inbox, Sent Items, Trash) are always displayed correctly. Some personal folders get displayed in the clients and then disappear when viewed later after an app restart. At the moment the Mail app is not showing messages in any personal folder.

I've tried restarting the apps, resynchronizing the FastMail account, removing and recreating the account, clearing caches, trying new app passwords, new server names as well as the messagingengine, restarting the Mac and restarting it in safe mode. I have not specified an INBOX path prefix. The (new) FastMail web interface and FastMail Android app work fine.

Does anyone know if FastMail support has access to logs that might show some type of error condition for my account access?

UPDATE
FWIW, scanning local Mail.app logs I find the following error line scattered throughout the log file 2016-08-05_IMAPSyncActivity.log"
Aug 5 11:05:44 Mail[966] <Debug>: [Fastmail] Account sync failed with error: Error Domain=MCMailErrorDomain Code=1030 "The IMAP command “STATUS” failed with server error: Mailbox does not exist." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=The IMAP command “STATUS” failed with server error: Mailbox does not exist.}

Last edited by fmail_fan : 6 Aug 2016 at 01:17 AM.
fmail_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Aug 2016, 01:21 AM   #29
wam

Finally Mail for Mac on my computer is working.

What I did was;
  • Deleted Fastmail account from Mail app
  • Closed Mail app
  • Re-opened mail app
  • Create a new account (NOT using my Login name, but using the email address I use for all.)
  • Account creation failed saying 'Username or Password is incorrect'
  • It offered to re-enter username and password, and my email address was also shown.
  • Here write the actual username and choose server as ????.fastmail.com
  • Leave 'Imap path prefix' empty
  • Change SMTP port to 465
  • Uncheck 'Automatically detect and Maintain account settings' under IMAP and SMTP 'Advanced' Settings. (Suggested by gj15, Thanks).
  • Let the app download mails
All my emails in sub folders are visible now.

I think the new servers and app password ONLY works when you create a new Fastmail account. I had tried changing existing Fastmail account in previous attempts.
wam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Aug 2016, 12:06 AM   #30
Glendon CDN

Quote:
Has anyone actually got their OSX Mail folders working OK, or are we all back on mail.messagingengine.com?
No observed issues here.
Glendon CDN is offline   Reply With Quote