EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 7 Aug 2008, 05:27 AM   #1
tsphillips

Bcc-ing addresses selected from my address book & enlarging the "Bcc" field

I am a full member of Fastmail and use the webmail interface to read, compose and send e-mail.

My "Address Book" screen has an "Email selected" button, but no "Cc selected" or "Bcc selected" button.

To bcc a message to addresses in my address book, I go to the "Address Book" screen, select the addresses I want and click on the "Email selected button". Then, on my "Compose" screen, I select all the addresses in the "To" field, cut them and paste them into the "Bcc" field. Is there a more elegant way to achieve this?

I dislike having to cut and paste, mainly because I am concerned that I might make a mistake in the process and consequently fail to send the message to all the addresses I intended. This concern is exacerbated by the fact that, on my "Compose" screen, the "To", "Cc" and "Bcc" fields are large enough to display only about 2 or 3 addresses at a time and it is inconvenient and time-consuming for me to "scroll" through the fields to see all the addresses they contain. Is it possible to increase the size of these fields?
tsphillips is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Aug 2008, 06:01 AM   #2
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsphillips View Post
To bcc a message to addresses in my address book, I go to the "Address Book" screen, select the addresses I want and click on the "Email selected button". Then, on my "Compose" screen, I select all the addresses in the "To" field, cut them and paste them into the "Bcc" field. Is there a more elegant way to achieve this?
Hi tsphillips,

Is there a reason you don't start with the Compose screen? If you do, then when you click on the Address Book (to the right) you can select the addresses you want then choose one of the 3 choices (To, Cc or Bcc).

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Aug 2008, 06:32 AM   #3
tsphillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
Hi tsphillips,

Is there a reason you don't start with the Compose screen? If you do, then when you click on the Address Book (to the right) you can select the addresses you want then choose one of the 3 choices (To, Cc or Bcc).

Sherry
Thanks for your helpful post Sherry. I had unfortunately forgotten that the Address Book button on the right hand side of the Compose screen behaves differently from the Address Book link at the top of the screen.

I would, however, still like to be able to enlarge the Bcc field on the Compose screen, in order that, while I compose a message, I can easily see exactly whom the message is addressed to.
Old 7 Aug 2008, 06:42 AM   #4
Sherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsphillips View Post
I would, however, still like to be able to enlarge the Bcc field on the Compose screen, in order that, while I compose a message, I can easily see exactly whom the message is addressed to.
Hmmm, I'm not sure that would be feasible? That may require a very large monitor to see them all or more than one row which will cut down you viewable compose area. As for scrolling through to see them all I just hit the End key (on the keyboard). I can tell if I've seen them all but if some are missing in the middle then I do need to scroll. Perhaps having a hover pop-up, on the compose screen, that would show them all would at least avoid the need to scroll?

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Aug 2008, 09:08 AM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow New Fastmail web interface expands address field displays as needed

Not to worry ... the Fastmail web interface will soon be replaced with a new design by Neil. The latest Compose Screen Mockup can expand To/CC/BCC fields to handle a long list of addresses. And you can click on an individual address to toggle display name / full address expansion.

To see how this works, find an old email with a long list of email addresses. Select all of these and copy/paste into one of the address fields in the Compose Screen Mockup described above. It automatically expands to show the addresses.

It appears that this new interface will be coming reasonably soon, if you read what Rob and Neil are saying in that thread.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Aug 2008, 08:31 PM   #6
tsphillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Not to worry ... the Fastmail web interface will soon be replaced with a new design by Neil. The latest Compose Screen Mockup can expand To/CC/BCC fields to handle a long list of addresses. And you can click on an individual address to toggle display name / full address expansion.

To see how this works, find an old email with a long list of email addresses. Select all of these and copy/paste into one of the address fields in the Compose Screen Mockup described above. It automatically expands to show the addresses.

It appears that this new interface will be coming reasonably soon, if you read what Rob and Neil are saying in that thread.

Bill
Thanks Bill. The new interface appears to me to be an improvement in this respect. I look forward to it.
Old 14 Aug 2008, 05:06 AM   #7
tsphillips

Order and number of addresses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
... start with the Compose screen? If you do, then when you click on the Address Book (to the right) you can select the addresses you want then choose one of the 3 choices (To, Cc or Bcc).

Sherry
The names in my address book are ordered alphabetically, by last name. When, in the Compose screen, I click on the Address Book button on the right and I select the addresses I want and I click on Bcc Selected, all the addresses selected seem to appear in the Bcc box - but not in the same order nor, as far as I can see, in any order at all, so I have no systematic way of checking whether address X is included in the list. Can I control in what order the addresses in the Bcc box are listed? If not, can anyone explain what order they are displayed in?

I would also like to be able to know how many addresses are included in the list, without actually having to count them. Is this possible?