EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 30 Aug 2013, 09:58 AM   #1
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Opera - but what form,where?

Some of you are so knowledgeable about obscure aspects of email providers that maybe you can provide me with some information.

I had a long-standing account with Operamail. It wasn't great and I didn't use it constantly, but I liked the domain name with the particular handle. Then it sort of disappeared. That is, I could open to my account, but not send any emails, and all my saved emails seemed to have vanished - which was infuriating, because it included passwords and links to a few forums. I tried very energetically to track down some help, including by telephone, since they have a base in California. Nothing. Dead ends.

Meanwhile, I was just trying it again recently, and now their page switches over to Fast Mail. But the log-in seems to be separately "myopera" (without a period) at a different site, "my.opera" (with a period). I'm getting only form-letters. This dodge where a site encourages you to send inquiries, but doesn't answer them is so infuriating.

Does anyone know what's going on? Was Operamail bought by Fastmail? Or did Opera switch to Myopera? Or My.opera? And why does the Opera site open into a "community," not the email? Is there a U.S. office? Help!?
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Aug 2013, 10:30 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Fastmail (an Australian private company) was purchased by Opera Software (a Norwegian company) in April, 2010. You will find more here on EMD Forums and at the Fastmail weblog.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2013, 11:12 AM   #3
usf
Cornerstone of the Community

http://mail.opera.com
Is this link what you want?
usf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2013, 02:29 PM   #4
drew
The "e" in e-mail

webecedarian Don't get me wrong now. Following is no criticism

You have been busy with more important things
so unfortunately you have not paid attention
when it did happen?

All of us that had an account was presented with an option
to keep it the drew at operamail.com but to log in at fastmail.fm

we had to confirm that we had an account by logging in
and most likely say yes to get it transferred.

So now I have my usual old Guest account at Fastmail
and I have the old drew at operamail.com
and I also have a myopera.com account for the membership of being a Opera browser user so one can share experiences
with them and ask for help from the community.

IIRC the operamail.com account got almost identical features
as a Guest account at Fastmail.fm

Could be different if it was a paid account. Not sure.

If you are good at using EMD search you should be able to find the proper threads is his name Anders Borg? I think he was
rather active answering our questions about operamail way back when it did happen.
drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2013, 02:33 PM   #5
drew
The "e" in e-mail

http://blog.fastmail.fm/2011/03/10/o...o-fastmail-fm/

Quote:
Operamail.com has been migrated to Fastmail.FM
March 10, 2011 — Rob Mueller

Operamail.com is finally back where it belongs: Hosted and run directly by Opera Software.

Over the past few months, we’ve been preparing for the migration of operamail.com to Fastmail’s servers. That migration has finally started today. Over the last hour, we’ve switched across the domain operamail.com to point to Fastmail’s servers, so users going to http://www.operamail.com will see the new login screen. Existing users can login with their existing operamail.com username and password (see below regarding some accounts showing a different name after logging in)
Old 30 Aug 2013, 11:45 PM   #6
Dutchie007
Essential Contributor

Correct me if I am wrong....but the servers of myopera.com mail are in the USA.

Dutchie
Dutchie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2013, 05:32 AM   #7
mf1941
Essential Contributor

At one time operamail.com was an OUTBLAZE powered site,

Chances are when the domain became available after they ditched the email business it was registered by FM.

That wouldn't help any old users however... i
mf1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Aug 2013, 06:07 AM   #8
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf1941 View Post
At one time operamail.com was an OUTBLAZE powered site,

Chances are when the domain became available after they ditched the email business it was registered by FM.
It went as follows:
  • Operamail was already owned by Opera.
  • Opera wanted a serious email provider for their Myopera community and bought FastMail.
  • Opera dumped Outblaze.
  • Old Operamail users were migrated to FastMail.
  • At the same time Opera set up a new and free Myopera email service based on, developed and serviced by FastMail.

Last edited by Berenburger : 31 Aug 2013 at 06:20 AM.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2013, 05:16 AM   #9
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Okay, let me try to put this together.

By the way, Drew, this originally came to my notice probably around last November. I was never offered any options. All that happened was that I realized my stash of emails seemed to have disappeared, and I couldn't send anything.

Thanks, Berenburger, for your very helpful sequence. So, based on that, I still don't think that explains why the link takes me to Fastmail, but the login doesn't work there, only with one of the myopera/my.opera, but still no luck in sending anything. Is the implication that they were trying to push original Opera people into paid Fastmail accounts, but then set up the new free version for resisters?
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2013, 05:45 AM   #10
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

I just checked the validity of my various FastMail/Opera Mail accounts:

Via the FastMail interface - FastMail paid, FastMail free (25MB), and @operamail.com (25MB) addresses all working.

(FastMail free and @operamail.com addresses not logged into for quite some time, but still live.)

Via the My Opera Mail interface - @ myoperamail.com address (2GB) - used regularly.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2013, 05:12 PM   #11
drew
The "e" in e-mail

webecedarian hope my too hasty wording did not come through
as teasing you or anything.

I don't remember details but a search here on EMD would show
when we got aware of it and AFAIK Markus Borg was one of the Rep. from Opera that helped us get how to transfer the accounts.

I did log in to "drew" at operamail.com on fastmail.fm and sent to a another free FM account it was instant deliver so

most likely you have to find some help from FM
telling if it is too late or if you still can activated it?
Old 1 Sep 2013, 06:33 PM   #12
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
(FastMail free and @operamail.com addresses not logged into for quite some time, but still live.)
Attention: You have to login once in the 120 days to keep these accounts alive.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote