EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 8 Dec 2005, 02:56 AM   #1
trew
Cornerstone of the Community

Auto logon and log in to ISPand email?

My problem is this.

Lycos/spray sweden provide me with free adsl account. But have a two month inactivity rule. I will be away maybe 4 month. two days travel and lot of money to get home to activate it.

so I need a kind of free program easy to set up that start my computer using inside timer or scheduler in windows XP Home

The ADSL modem I could activate usign a physical timer. The compter I could start using a timer two I ahve three of them.

but the computer program has to log on and login to my isp and then maybe download a html page or anything showing it did use the adsl.

a bit like an ordinary VHS machine does it. They record a TV show without anybody being at home.

One only need right program and easy to follow instructions to set it up.

GNU has one such prog named "Alive" but I need same or similar for WinXP pro.

It should also log out and shut down computer so it could be activated automatically one month later.

Any ideas?

Trew has only some 7 days to accomplish it. So I feel desperate.
trew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Dec 2005, 03:46 AM   #2
Javier
Master of the @

Just guessing ...

Hi, Trew:

I have an idea, but you need to configure your PC for automatically starting every few days and/or maybe get somebody doing that.

First, you need a very simple email reader program (my recommendation, Magic Mail Monitor) and FreePOPs, that is able to access Lycos email accounts.

Configure Magic Mail Monitos (M3) to check your Lycos email account(-s) automatically when started, using FreePOPs as a middleware to access your account(-s).

Once checked, M3 will wait for Windows XP shutting down. To do that, you only need to indicate that, when desired (for example, 10 minutes after starting time) Windows XP should execute the following command :

shutdown.exe -s -t 00

(being 00 the number of seconds before initiating the shutdown).

"shutdown.exe" is a file located in the c:\windows\system32 folder in your system. As such, it should be readily available for execution anywhere in Windows XP, but, if you have any problem, try indicating the full path of the file.

My advice is first test it if this command really shutdows the computer and, once, if the computer automatically start when indicated.

Good luck!!!!
Javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Dec 2005, 06:13 AM   #3
trew

Jaiver your a gentleman friendly indeed.

Wow, me just lost lycos email but maybe easy to set up a new one then.

I give it a try.
What about this. What makes the computer start up? in case the power get an outage what would mae it start again?

sure I will experiment to see if the modem wake it up.

But how do I do the actual sign on or log on to the isp?

I have speay lycos europe and I need to set that email client program then to keep the email at the server or me not able to read them

ok I download that program and test it on my spray lycos email addresses. wake up my modem and see if the computer wake up too. or does the winxp has such wake up inbuilt?

To do the cleanign up that could be scheduled it says.

wow so much to learn in a too short time.

trew
ps me ahve to go to bed soon
Old 9 Dec 2005, 06:35 AM   #4
trew

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,156438,00.asp

here is a link describing how to choose whatit should do
http://support.microsoft.com/default...317371&sd=tech

but what I fail to get is to make the computer actually logon to the IPS!

I have to include it in a batchfil but I ahve no clue on hwo to

or does it do it automatically I know too little hm

I have to look for schedule progs?

Last edited by trew : 9 Dec 2005 at 06:47 AM.
Old 9 Dec 2005, 08:00 AM   #5
trew

will this one allow me to simulate automatically all what I do every morning?

WinMacro v1.2.1 for Win9x/NT4/ME/Win2k/XP
http://www.nonags.com/nonags/auto.html

here is how he describe it.
Quote:
I personally use WinMacro to connect to the internet using dialup, open browser windows and type URLs for checking my mail. All I had to do was do that once, and record the whole thing. The next time, I simply play that file back, and everything takes place automatically.
what I don't get is to make the computer wake up and launch it.

suppose I put it in the Schedule tasks to be activated every morning and then to shut down.

I do it one time and when it is recorded it will do same when it run on schedule?

I tell the software to connect to my isp by clicking on the connect using pppoe and then I start Opera and do email download and then look at emd and log in and then log off and shut down computer some ten minutes to not make it too vulnerable to attacks when nobody there to handle such.

Using such program may help me keep my adsl account then cause if I never log in they break the connection at the station and deactivate my account and me have to wait for some three week to many montes to get another account.

Does it seems practical to set up?
Old 10 Dec 2005, 02:02 AM   #6
trew

By trial and error frantic experimentation I found out that one need no batch or iclogin.exe either.

it works by using ordinary startup pgae one only need to copy the dial up symbol there and the MSIE program with url to a daily newspaper to give evidence one has logged in.

easy when one know but very hard to gues when one have no clue on it.

so now it seems to work. Thanks indeed

trew