EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 23 Jan 2017, 01:44 PM   #181
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Thanks Bruce.
I am happy that you have found something that works for you.

Regards, - Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2017, 10:18 AM   #182
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Help!

Help!
This is so frustrating!
Some time ago I followed the advice offered on this forum and invested in a personal domain name so that I wouldn't be tied to any one e-mail provider.
I was pleasantly surprised by how simple and inexpensive it was to do that, and felt rather smug.
But that precaution isn't helping me now!
It is important for me to access E-mails on the move.
'Classic' works fine on my Nokia C2-01 phone, but the new interface doesn't work at all.
The only phones that run browsers fancy enough to support the new interface seem to be way out of my league.
So now is the time to invoke the nuclear option and change e-mail provider.
But I can't find a suitable alternative.
Can anybody recommend an e-mail provider that will let me use my own domains and that has a web interface that supports OperaMini version 8 (or any other browser that will work on my Symbian-based Nokia C2-01)?
Thank you.
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2017, 10:26 AM   #183
somdcomputerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhm View Post
But I can't find a suitable alternative.
Have you tried the FM phone app? I am not familiar with your phone (or any phones really, not even my own too much..) so I don't know if it will run it or not..

- Bruce

Last edited by somdcomputerguy : 29 Jan 2017 at 10:46 AM.
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2017, 10:40 AM   #184
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Does you phone have an IMAP email client built in? Nearly all phones made within the past decade have an email client.

Bil
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2017, 02:07 PM   #185
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Thank you for these suggestions.

As I confessed before, at http://emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=72140 , I have never used an e-mail app or client... and my understanding of the supposed benefits of using them is hazy.

But if some sort of app/client type thing can be made to work on my phone when the web interface can't, I can see that it might partially solve my problem, albeit inelegantly.

According to http://www.fastmail.com/help/clients/mobileapp.html , the minimum requirement for the Fastmail App is
iOS v8 or Android v4.

If I've understood what that means, then the app won't even work on a 3-year-old iPhone, let alone a 5-year-old Nokia !

So my last hope would seem to be Bill's suggestion: the Nokia's built-in 'IMAP client'.

There is an 'e-mail' icon, which I haven't tried before: presumably this is the link to the phone's 'IMAP client'.

If I click on it, it asks for an e-mail address and password, which is encouraging.

But when I enter my Fastmail address and password and click on the 'sign in' button, it says 'checking' for several minutes and then invariably closes with the message 'communication error try again later'.

I'm stumped again. Any further ideas will be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Graham.

Last edited by Grhm : 29 Jan 2017 at 02:28 PM. Reason: minor typos
Old 29 Jan 2017, 03:15 PM   #186
mballas
Essential Contributor

You can't connect if you use your FastMail password. You must create an application password for that particular application.

https://www.fastmail.com/help/client...worderror.html

Last edited by mballas : 29 Jan 2017 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Added uri
mballas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2017, 08:00 PM   #187
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Aha! I see!
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be possible to set up an 'app password' using the Classic interface, so I'm going to have to leave this until later in the week when the library is open and I have an opportunity to use the public computers there.
(This is currently the only way I can access the new interface.)
Thank you for your help.
Graham.
Old 30 Jan 2017, 01:36 AM   #188
Grhm
Essential Contributor

.. but in the mean time, may I repeat my original question:
Does anyone know of an e-mail provider that accomodates personal domains and also has a web interface accessible to those of us who use simpler browsers such as Opera Mini?
Thank you.
Graham
Old 30 Jan 2017, 01:43 AM   #189
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Try Runbox. They do support personal domains and offer a simple Roundcube interface https://runbox.com/roundcube/
Try it with Opera Mini and see if it works for you. BTW, Runbox offer a free 30-day trial.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2017, 08:17 AM   #190
Grhm
Essential Contributor

I just signed up for a 30-day trial at Runbox, and discovered that their interface does work on Opera Mini.
I need to check that it has all the functionality I need, but assuming it does, it definitely looks like a good option for me.
Thank you for the suggestion.
(It also has the advantage of its own forum here on EMD, of course!)
Old 31 Jan 2017, 04:11 AM   #191
Jerry
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mballas View Post
You can't connect if you use your FastMail password. You must create an application password for that particular application.
When I set up my Motorola XT316 to use its built-in email app, I'm quite sure I never created (or used) a special "application password" -- I only used my regular password that I've always used for logging on to the Classic Interface. Note that you have to use "mail.messagingengine.com" for the Incoming and Outgoing servers, whereas my phone app tried to default to the domain name of my email address. Also, you have to use ports 993 and 465 instead of the insecure app default ports.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2017, 04:25 AM   #192
placebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
When I set up my Motorola XT316 to use its built-in email app, I'm quite sure I never created (or used) a special "application password" -- I only used my regular password that I've always used for logging on to the Classic Interface.
App-specific passwords are required only if you have two-factor authentication enabled.
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2017, 04:27 AM   #193
mballas
Essential Contributor

I believe you can still use messagingengine.com with the FastMail password but to use imap.Fastmail.com you must use the app password. I don't know if FM plans to stop using messagingengine.com after classic ends.
mballas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2017, 10:13 AM   #194
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Off-topic: use of messagingengine.com and master passwords

The server names have nothing to do with the web user interface (classic or normal). Here is what I just learned from Fastmail staff:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastmail staff
If you use imap.fastmail.com / pop.fastmail.com / smtp.fastmail.com you have to use an app password. This is what we recommend people use, what we advertise in our docs, and what all the auto-config services *should* use.

If you used mail.messagingengine.com when you set up your client a while back, you can still use your master password.

The long term aim is:

1. Disable new users from using mail.messagingengine.com altogether (we can't do this just yet, because there's been some problems with iOS auto-config still returning the old mail.messagingengine.com server name), but I hope we can do it soon

2. Bit by bit, direct old users still using mail.messagingengine.com to switch to (imap/pop/smtp).fastmail.com with an app password

3. Eventually (likely years down the track), remove mail.messagingengine.com

Bill

n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2017, 03:29 AM   #195
MattJhsn

Dear Fellow Email Enthusiasts, Administrators, and especially my friends at Fastmail. :-)

I also would like to advocate for keeping the html version of Fastmail.. The thing I find hardest to adopt to is the difference in presentation. The html shows me more information per 'screen' then AJAX version. Can we use our own templates to change the fonts, color, etc formatting like we can in classic?

Another issue is the placement of buttons at the top, not feasible to 'fix' of course as it is part of the design.

Another is the quick way to show all of the email header. This has already has been discussed.

I have some other issues too, but I have to take the time to make a good post, so that will be later (also to re-read the long thread).

One last thing to note is that both Google and Yahoo still have their html modes available and usable.

-Matt Johnson
MattJhsn is offline   Reply With Quote