EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 3 Sep 2004, 12:31 PM   #1
jeff248

Sieve question

I've been trying to get this to work for a few days now, so any help would be much appreciated!!! I'm trying to combine the features of the "mailto" with the "redirect" I'm trying to have my email forwarded to my phone as an SMS type emaill notification. I prefer the redirect over the mailto as it keeps the original senders name. The problem I'm having is setting the string in the redirect to limit the amount of characters. In mailto option I have:

if header :matches "subject" "*" {
notify :method "mailto" ptions ["xxxxxxxxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com","Squeeze","High"] :message "$from$ / $subject$ / $text[150]$";
keep;

Simply replacing mailto with redirect doesnt work, although the code is accepted. Again, any help is appreciated since I've already sent myself 100's of test emails!!

Thanks,

Jeff
jeff248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 Sep 2004, 01:35 PM   #2
Jerry
Essential Contributor

Do you really NEED to limit the number of redirected characters? My ATT cell-phone e-mail is automatically limited to 160 characters, and only displays the first 160 characters (counting the FROM and SUBJECT info), no matter how large the complete message is.

(Well, that's not exactly true -- messages larger than about 150K are bounced back to the sender and no trace ever arrives at my phone.)

Jerry
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2004, 08:36 PM   #3
jeff248

Right, many of mine have been bounced back. I wasnt getting them so fastmail ran a log for me. Sure enough, they were being rejected due to length. Again, any hehp is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 4 Sep 2004, 02:48 PM   #4
SanjaySheth
Master of the @

The way I redirect cellphone SMS is via the following sieve script

Code:
   if allof(
       header :contains "To" "cellphone",
       not size :over 50K )
   { redirect "847xxxyyyyATmessaging.sprintpcs.com"; }
Any messages over 50k simply don't get sent
SanjaySheth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Sep 2004, 11:37 AM   #5
Jerry
Essential Contributor

(Hmmm. And another page gets added to my notebook called "Ideas stolen from Sanjay.")

(Why didn't I think of that?)
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Sep 2004, 02:17 PM   #6
jeff248

Thanks Sanjay for you help. I'm actually trying to have all my emails forwarded to SMS using the redirect (not mailto , but limited to 150 characters. Any help??? Thanks again,

Jeff
Old 6 Sep 2004, 04:23 AM   #7
SanjaySheth
Master of the @

Why not just let Sprint trim the msg for you ... as long as it is not more than 150k, they won't bounce back and you'll get the original sender, etc.

Redirect implies that the original message is unchanged so it's not possible to redirect and trim the message at the same time.
Old 6 Sep 2004, 04:42 AM   #8
bitequator
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry
(Well, that's not exactly true -- messages larger than about 150K are bounced back to the sender and no trace ever arrives at my phone.)
Thanks for this info too, news to me (I wonder if it's the same way with all the major US cell provider email gateways?). I use ATTWS too but might switch to T-Mobile. Also have family using Sprint PCS...

I also like to retain a copy of all such messages (both with cell redirect and SMS notify) -- including the oversized ones, in a dedicated "mobile" folder so I could tell which ones were not received at the phone...

P.S. I agree Sanjay is always great (I'm still using his old custom SpamAssassin-hit list, not to mention the Sieve/CSS testers)
bitequator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Sep 2004, 04:57 AM   #9
jeff248

Right, I can confirm that messages over a certain size are rejected be Sprints server. Fastmail was nice enough to send me the log showing this. I don't know about other wireless servers.

Thanks Sanjay for the info about the redirect command. Thats the answer I was looking for. My solution has been to redirect the mail, while keeping a copy on Fastmail, to Sprint and then use Sprints "notify by SMS" option. It works, just seems a little sill to have my emails bouncing from server to server to server (Comcast to Fastmail to Sprint to my phone!!)

One more question: How often does the Sieve code "not work"? I have had a few emails not get redirected. I see them in my FM inbox, but they never got to Sprint. I had that happen today, where one was not redirected even though onw was a few minutes earlier. It was an average sized email with no attatchements. Any thought??

Thanks.

Jeff
Old 6 Sep 2004, 05:08 AM   #10
SanjaySheth
Master of the @

I haven't run across many cases of the Sieve code "not working". It's usually a case of an unrecognized interaction where another rule is being applied to the message rather than the one you think should apply.

My sieve tester is a good way to do some diagnostic testing .. copy an email which didn't get filtered like you wanted into the bottom box and your current sieve script into the top box. Run the test .. and if that reveals the end result is that the message is being filtered to an undesired folder/action, remove a chunk of sieve code and try again. You should be able to quickly narrow down to the piece of sieve code which is causing your problem and then you can tweak the filter to pass the message through in the future (or just rearrange your code so that the problem rule comes after the cellphone redirect).
Old 6 Sep 2004, 05:08 AM   #11
bitequator
The "e" in e-mail

I see thanks for the confirmation Jeff...

Anyways, since I'd learned that we apparently get charged to receive SMS (?), I also use a custom (more restrictive) spam threshold before redirecting/notifying these messages to cellphone...
bitequator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Sep 2004, 05:10 AM   #12
SanjaySheth
Master of the @

yes, sms in usa sucks .. we get charged for sending and receiving sms (it's $0.10 per sms on my sprint account or 300 for $5 per month). I only redirect my work-related emails (and even then filter out any mailing-list type traffic).
Old 6 Sep 2004, 05:12 AM   #13
SanjaySheth
Master of the @

i haven't played much with the notify sieve extension yet but i'm trying it out now. I'll post if I can figure out a smoother way to do what jeff is looking for.
Old 6 Sep 2004, 05:13 AM   #14
jeff248

Well, I ran your test (which btw is pretty cool) and got:

redirecting message to xxxxx@sprintpcs.com'
keeping message

But It never got there! Pretty strange.

Jeff
Old 6 Sep 2004, 05:14 AM   #15
jeff248

Thanks Sanjay!