EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 29 Apr 2023, 07:07 AM   #16
alexu2007
Essential Contributor

You know what I'm doing right now at 1 am, don't you? I sign up for a 10 day trial of JetBackup and some storage at Backblaze and I fire up a cloud machine to start testing with DA and JetBackup
alexu2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2023, 09:11 AM   #17
alexu2007
Essential Contributor

And.... the test was a success! Thank you again, Jarland!

I tested using Backblaze and idrive e2 who now has a promotion with 4$ for 1Tb for the first year and 40$/year after that. The backup and restore is easy to setup and the incrimental option is excelent! No errors, no problems, everything is just fine. I will test it for the next days and then I will install it on the mail server. I think I will choose idrive, it has servers located in Paris, just like the mail server.
Old 29 Apr 2023, 11:14 PM   #18
alexu2007
Essential Contributor

More thoughts on Jetbackup:

plusses:

+ very easy to use, extremely flexible, integrated in DA, accesible for administrator and for users
+ you don't have to restore everything, you can make a partial restore, I can restore only the mail or the database, or the home folder for example, it transfers from the backup storage only the files needed
+ incremental backup
+ you can limit it's CPU usage only to some cores so you don't get high CPU load when the backup is created.

the only minus I found:

- as for now it only supports Almalinux 8 / Ubuntu 20.04 so I will move the email service to another spare server from OVH, with Almalinux 8 (now I use Ubuntu 22.04)

But, until I will make the move, I want to also test the disaster recovery option, to see how this works.
Old 1 May 2023, 07:49 PM   #19
alexu2007
Essential Contributor

Postmark.pm news:

I moved the email service to a new server at OVH in France in order to be able to install Jetbackup for backup management. Jetbackup is now installed and running on the server and the backups are saved in Finland, at Hetzner's datacenter. The backup is performed twice daily and the retention period is 2 weeks.

During the tests I made with Jetbackup I noticed that iDrive is not a viable place to save the backups. Their service is not stable and there are plenty of errors. I plan to add a second destination for backups, I am considering Backblaze for this.

Regarding the free accounts, I decided to offer 5 more accounts if any of you wants to test postmark.pm. These accounts will remain free even after the service will become a paid one. Just pm me to get one. The only thing I am asking in return is to test the service and to tell me any problems that you encounter while using it.

Last edited by alexu2007 : 1 May 2023 at 08:41 PM.
Old 24 May 2023, 12:19 AM   #20
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexu2007 View Post
At that moment in the future yes, the email accounts will be paid, and the selling point will be the quality of the service and the domains that I will offer for email addresses, short and memorable. (for example: ana.im, m5.pm, pmx.pm, etc.pm, tnt.pm, nos.pm, noc.pm, v9.lv, x10.ro - I registered a lot of them .)
How much money did you spend on all those domains? The 300€ wasn't entirely spent on domains I assume?

I like the .pm extention. Very rare, but I like that. And makes sense given the overall name of the service.

Good luck with it!
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2023, 04:12 PM   #21
balaji

Issues?

Hi Alex, Is there any issue with the service, IMAP/SMTP not working since morning today.
balaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jul 2023, 05:47 AM   #22
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
The service seems interesting, I like the domains you're offering. The only risk is that it is a one-person job. Is there a backup plan in case something happens while you are away on holidays or so? Do you intend to get someone involved that will run the service during those moments you are unavailable/unreachable?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote