EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 23 Mar 2013, 08:01 PM   #1
fassa

iphone sync with Sent messages on Server

Hi folks

In the advanced settings for Mail on my iphone, if I set the Sent Mailbox to On my iPhone: Sent, then outgoing messages get saved twice:
a) to 'Sent' on my iphone,
and also
b) to my 'Sent Items' folder on the fastmail server

Why is that? What's the point in saving it twice? What's the point in choosing On my iPhone?
I can see both folders from my iphone, but see no reason to open 'Sent' on my phone, nor take up storage space on my phone.

If instead I choose: On the Server - 'Sent Items', then something even more useless and annoying occurs. Outgoing messages now get saved twice to my 'Sent Items' folder on the fastmail server. Why? What is the point in that??

I want them to be saved only once and only to one location: Sent Items' on the fastmail server.
Is this possible?

thanks
Assaf
fassa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23 Mar 2013, 09:55 PM   #2
yassarali
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Basically, you can save your sent mails copy, when using your fastmail account and an email client, in either of the two ways:

1. Set your email client to do the saving for your.
2. Set your fastmail account ("Sent Items on SMTP") to do the saving for you.

You might have done both which is why you get two copies of every mail sent. So, all you need to do is remove one of them.

We always recommend using (2) and disabling (1). That way, irrespective of any client you use, you always get a copy in your "Sent items" folder as long as your "From" address matches one of your personalities in your fastmail account. Ofcourse, you need to make sure that you enable the "Sent Items on SMTP" on all your personalities. This is done from the "Settings->Advanced settings->Personalities" screen.

However, the annoying thing about iOS Mail is (altleast, as far as I know) you can't completely disable saving of sent emails on it. You can only do either of the following:

A. Save it locally in a "Sent" folder which would be only viewable on your iPhone (Choose "Sent" under "On My iPhone")
B. Select an IMAP folder (eg: Sent Items) to save the sent copy (Choose it from the "On the Server" section)

Either way, if you have "Sent Items on SMTP" enabled, you get two copies. I would actually recommend a combination of (2) and (A).

- Basically, set your fastmail for "Sent Items on SMTP" which means you get a copy on your fastmail "Sent" folder which is accessible on webinterface and all email clients.

- and set your iPhone to save a copy on its "Sent" folder which is only available on the iPhone. You can still access the IMAP "Sent Items" folder when you want to check emails sent from other clients or the webinterface.

I guess thats exactly how you have things setup already. You just need to ignore the "Sent" folder on your iPhone and only check the IMAP "Sent Items" folder to avoid any confusion.

However, if you really don't mind managing the "Sent Items" on each of your client or if you really don't have many email clients to bother about, you can go for (1) and (B). That is:

- Disable "Sent Items on SMTP" from your fastmail webinterface
- Set your iPhone and any other email client you have to save a copy of the sent email on the IMAP "Sent items" folder.

-Yassar.
yassarali is offline   Reply With Quote