EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 28 Jul 2018, 07:19 AM   #1
noclue
Cornerstone of the Community

Trash issue

Why does my trash take three (sometimes four) days to show up in the folder?
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Jul 2018, 06:18 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Do not use local folders in email clients

I’m sure this is due to how you access your Fastmail account. If you use email clients on your devices (such as Apple Mail or Thunderbird) these must be set up to use IMAP and server folders. Please try this:
  1. Log into your Fastmail account using a browser at https://www.fastmail.com
  2. Send an email to yourself so you have a message to delete.
  3. Delete that new message.
  4. Look in Trash. The message you deleted will be there immediately.
I believe you have an iPad Pro and iMac.
  • On your iPad, if you use the free Fastmail app (which I suggested in another EMD thread a few weeks ago), deleted messages will immediately appear in Trash.
  • On your iMac, as I described above using a browser to access your email at the Fastmail URL will result in deleted messages immediately appearing in Trash.
  • But if you use an email client software (such as Apple Mail or Thunderbird) on your iPad and iMac, you need to configure the email client program on how to handle deleted messages.
  • My guess is that on one of your devices (iPad or iMac) you have your email client (probably Apple Mail or Thunderbird) you have the client program configured to save deleted messages into a local folder on that device. So you might delete a message on the iMac and it will disappear from your Inbox and go into the iMac local Trash folder. You then look at your email account on your iPad and that email is missing. It isn’t in your Inbox or Trash folder! Later you look at the Trash folder on the iMac and see it.
  • You must follow these rules if you want to use email (with folders such as Trash and Drafts and Sent) on more than one device (such as your iPad and iMac):
    • Use IMAP connectivity to the Fastmail server. Do not use POP.
    • Set your Trash, Sent, and Drafts folders to server folders. The exact Fastmail server folder names are shown in the Fastmail online help system.
    • If you set these folders to be placed on your device as local folders, you won’t be able to see messages you move to those folders on any other device (or webmail). So don’t use local folders!
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote