EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 2 Dec 2014, 12:44 AM   #316
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir View Post
Yes, Runbox is going to store your email on SSDs which are lightning fast compared to regular hard disks.
Pardon my ignorance, but does this mean that the web interfaces -- and that includes the presently slloowww RoundCube interface -- are going to be faster overall for users?
B4its2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2014, 12:52 AM   #317
kservik
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17pm View Post
1) Is the speed of the webmail client currently limited by the speed of the HDD or by something else? (ping, the webclient itself, etc). That is, should one expect noticeable faster response times by switching to the SSDs?
No, The webmail only goes to disk when you open a message. The rest is stored in a database.

We will also be upgrading our database servers, so you will get a difference there. We are going to keep the whole database in RAM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17pm View Post
2) Will the switch to the SSDs be free of charge?
The storage on SSDs is included in the current subscriptions, yes.
kservik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2014, 12:53 AM   #318
kservik

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4its2L8 View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but does this mean that the web interfaces -- and that includes the presently slloowww RoundCube interface -- are going to be faster overall for users?
Yes, RoundCube is a IMAP client, so that will be much faster.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 01:12 AM   #319
jl66
Essential Contributor

Itīs well known that SSD,s are better in performance but less secure if you delete something. In fact, as I know, itīs almost impossible to delete them without leaving some trace.

Great news about Dovecot
jl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2014, 01:18 AM   #320
kservik

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl66 View Post
Itīs well known that SSD,s are better in performance but less secure if you delete something. In fact, as I know, itīs almost impossible to delete them without leaving some trace.
I am not sure that is true. You don't overwrite data if you delete something on spinning disks? You just delete the table that references the data?
Old 2 Dec 2014, 01:23 AM   #321
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Quite the opposite, it seems: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-s...ecure_deletion

We can ask our sysadmins for details, but this has never been raised as a concern in our thorough discussions leading up to this acquisition.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2014, 02:30 AM   #322
jl66
Essential Contributor

I read about it in many places some time ago, as something already tested.

http://nvsl.ucsd.edu/index.php?path=projects/sanitize

Some post about it:

Concerning the security of "erased" data:

The logical destruction of files isn't correctly done in some drives, even using the built-in commands. You can take a look at this site, from some group at USCD. They've published some papers about it.

The problem is somehow old: in SSD, you can't be sure you're overwriting the old information. So, manufacturers have implemented commands to do that. But not all them work as expected, especially if you can have access to the Flash chips.

So, if your question was about security (and not reliability), I would concern a bit more about SSDs.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 06:40 AM   #323
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
jl66: Thanks for the link. It is somewhat theoretical however, as data will typically be deleted and overwritten multiple times as a normal consequence of data migration -- and the older data will eventually be unrecoverable.

In any event, our sysadmins are quite paranoid about data security and would never let a drive leave our facilities without making sure it is beyond recovery.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2014, 03:38 PM   #324
jl66
Essential Contributor

Thank you Geir.

I now remembered the first time I read about it, using Tails live-cd, in the Tails documentation.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 05:49 PM   #325
kservik

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
I read about it in many places some time ago, as something already tested.

http://nvsl.ucsd.edu/index.php?path=projects/sanitize

Some post about it:

Concerning the security of "erased" data:

The logical destruction of files isn't correctly done in some drives, even using the built-in commands. You can take a look at this site, from some group at USCD. They've published some papers about it.

The problem is somehow old: in SSD, you can't be sure you're overwriting the old information. So, manufacturers have implemented commands to do that. But not all them work as expected, especially if you can have access to the Flash chips.

So, if your question was about security (and not reliability), I would concern a bit more about SSDs.
Erased is something else than deleting. When you secure erase data on a SSD, you are using a built in function to wipe all data on the drive. Specifically in mobile phones running Android (they use NAND, and not complete SSDs), it did not work as well as expected. That is not true for most modern SSDs. There has been many technical papers about that issue after that report.

Also you dont secure erase a drive in a production environment with customer data on it. When a customer deletes some or all of their data, you delete that data, not secure erase the whole drive.

Last edited by kservik : 2 Dec 2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 06:13 PM   #326
jl66
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kservik View Post
Erased is something else than deleting. When you secure erase data on a SSD, you are using a built in function to wipe all data on the drive. Specifically in mobile phones running Android (they use NAND, and not complete SSDs), it did not work as well as expected. That is not true for most modern SSDs. There has been many technical papers about that issue after that report.

Also you dont secure erase a drive in a production environment with customer data on it. When a customer deletes some or all of their data, you delete that data, not secure erase the whole drive.
Thank you for the answer
Old 15 Jan 2017, 04:25 AM   #327
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

One little problem when I click subject to open an email it highlights the line in red but does not open the email. What am i doing wrong
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2017, 09:18 AM   #328
DigitalOrchard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheprd View Post
One little problem when I click subject to open an email it highlights the line in red but does not open the email. What am i doing wrong
Which browser are you using?
DigitalOrchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2017, 10:27 AM   #329
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

I am using IE10 0r 11 I think also I am using Windows 7
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2017, 10:50 AM   #330
kservik

Representative of:
Runbox.com
What happens if you use another browser?