EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 20 Jul 2006, 08:51 AM   #1
anj
Master of the @

automatic labeling username+label@gmail.com

I would like to see an automatic labelling system wherein all mail addressed to username+label@gmail.com to automatically be appended with said "label". For example, username+newsletter1@gmail.com automatically gets the label "newsletter1" without my needing to add the label myself or set up a filter myself.

I would really love to see this be an option, if not the default behavior.

Is there any way to set up a single filter to do this?
Such that:
username+anyword@gmail.com automatically gets the label "anyword" added to it
and
username+anotherword@gmail.com automatically gets labeled "anotherword"
and so on.
anj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21 Jul 2006, 04:57 AM   #2
mbz

You can't do this automatically, as this would require gmail to create a new label for you each time you came up with a new word after the '+' sign (however it would nice IF it did... a nice future option maybe. :) )

But - you can create a filter. For instance, create a label named "Test", then a filter where the "To:" field contains username+test@gmail.com. Then, in the next screen you can choose it to apply the newly created label.

No try sending yourself an email to this adress; username+test@gmail.com. The e-mail will have the label.
mbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2006, 09:41 AM   #3
Javier
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by mbz
... But - you can create a filter ...
The problem is that GMail only offers a very limited number of filters/rules.
Javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2006, 07:59 AM   #4
anj
Master of the @

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, not only are the number of rules limited (100?), but setting up filters is time consuming.

Without a filter, accumulated new mail is a disaster. They just sort it by when it was received. There is no ability to group messages by sender

I do use Gmail with filters for a few high volume Yahoogroups, which I read sporadically and very selectively. For this it was useful to have enough storage space to keep them all, so that I could search for specific info when needed. Gmail's search is very efficient -- much better than Outlook's or Yahoogroup's. This makes it worth it for me to use Gmail even though I do have the extra work of setting up individual fiters.

For lower volume lists, I don't really need the storage space or the search feature as much, so it is does not seem worth it to set up filters for grouping that other interfaces can do automatically.

There are alternatives which require no such effort. Currently, I use Fastmail's automatic folder redirection for this (newsletter1@fastmail goes to folder newsletter1). Before Fastmail, I used Outlook, set up to group by sender and therein sort by conversation. Gmail requires extra work on my part, so I don't use it to read things which want grouped by sender.
anj is offline   Reply With Quote