EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 15 Dec 2014, 06:57 PM   #46
Zasurus

Thumbs up

Thanks Eric!
Also nice to see a new look.
Not that the old one was bad but new stuff that looks new is ALWAYS BETTER!
Zasurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2014, 02:39 AM   #47
moonglow

Quote:
Originally Posted by walpurg View Post
... Until Eric gets around to recompiling, if you know how to use a hex editor, you can fix this problem yourself by changing these two locations in FastCheck.exe:

(hex) offset 00000158 from 06 to 04
(hex) offset 00000160 from 06 to 04

Newer MS developer tools target Vista/7/8 (Windows numeric version 6.x), this lets you use the program on NT4 (4.x) and 2000/XP (5.x), which otherwise think that an executable saying it works with OS version 6 is invalid, even if there's nothing in it that actually wouldn't work on those systems.
hi walpurg ... thanks for posting ... i know nothing of how to "use a hex editor" ... guess i'm out of luck until i get a new puter ... is this something you could walk me through, like you did for odedp?? if not, thanks anyway for your input ... :-)
moonglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2014, 05:40 AM   #48
spiderman
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Fastcheck.org
Hi,

Thanks for the info on this problem!
I don't have XP so it's hard for me to find this...
I'll download an XP VM and I'll make sure that the app can work on it. I'll do another version this WE.

Eric
spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2014, 06:50 AM   #49
somdcomputerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderman View Post
I posted on the FastCheck forum an issue I'm having with this new version. I'll just repeat the post here. Reply to either forum as I'm a member of both.

Thanks Eric!

Quote:
Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy
Eric, I am very happy that you have updated FastCheck, and it now works almost seamlessly with Fastmail now. I say 'almost' because I have just one problem, which is more of an annoyance really, in that FastCheck will not change it's icon back (from a number or + sign) to a checkmark once mail is read in a sub-sub-folder. The notification of new mail in that selected folder works fine, but the icon doesn't 'change back'. It will do this to a new then read email that's in the 'Inbox' folder. This issue also occurs with any other folder on the top level.

From reading what I just typed, it seems to me it probably would've been easier to just say that this occurs with any folder other than the 'Inbox'.

- Bruce
- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2014, 12:48 AM   #50
moonglow

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hi,

I don't have XP so it's hard for me to find this...
I'll download an XP VM and I'll make sure that the app can work on it. I'll do another version this WE.

Eric
& i thank you so much for taking note & responding!! i hope it won't be too time consuming, but i do hope i will be able to have a new fastcheck that will work for me ... thank you, once again ...
Old 18 Dec 2014, 02:29 AM   #51
somdcomputerguy

FastCheck issue

Since I'm the only one reporting such an issue as I did in post #49, it would leave me to believe that it's me not doing something right, not a problem with the new FastCheck. While I'm quick to admit my mistakes, I'm not so quick discovering or seeing my own mistakes.. Does anyone have a similar issue? If so or not, what might my problem be?

- Bruce
Old 24 Dec 2014, 05:55 AM   #52
spiderman

Representative of:
Fastcheck.org
Fixed XP compatibility!

Hi all,

I've fixed XP compatibility!

I downloaded an XP VM and it works fine now :-).
BTW if anyone is interested, you can download 30-day VMs from Microsoft from modern.ie. They give access to a wide range of versions of Windows and IE in order for people like me to test their app and site across a wide variety of OSs and browser versions :-).

I also tweaked the tray icons + animation. Thanks a lot to Peter Vandijck for the icons!

New version available as usual from www.fastcheck.org. Again, recent versions of Chrome will tell you that the file is not commonly downloaded, so you'll need to ignore the warning.

Eric
Old 24 Dec 2014, 05:57 AM   #53
spiderman

Representative of:
Fastcheck.org
Quote:
Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy View Post
Since I'm the only one reporting such an issue as I did in post #49, it would leave me to believe that it's me not doing something right, not a problem with the new FastCheck. While I'm quick to admit my mistakes, I'm not so quick discovering or seeing my own mistakes.. Does anyone have a similar issue? If so or not, what might my problem be?

- Bruce
Hi Bruce,

Are you still having this issue? I sub subfolders and I've never experienced this.

Eric
Old 24 Dec 2014, 06:12 AM   #54
somdcomputerguy

Yes I am. The notification email I just received from your post goes directly to my Inbox. So the FastCheck icon changed back to a checkmark as soon as I opened that email. But the icon does not 'go back' when any emails going to a sub or sub sub folder are read.
Old 24 Dec 2014, 06:51 AM   #55
somdcomputerguy

I just downloaded the new version (3.0.1.0) to see if that would help, it did not. I was downloading from the 'standalone zip' link, so I then downloaded from the 'full install' link. That didn't work either. I did only have my account password in the 'poll' field on the 'account details' screen, so I put my password into the 'auto-login' field as well. That did not help either.

Thanks for looking into this Eric.

- Bruce
Old 25 Dec 2014, 12:26 AM   #56
moonglow

Quote:
Hi all,

I've fixed XP compatibility!

I downloaded an XP VM and it works fine now :-)....

Eric
yes, Eric, you have & I THANK YOU!!

:-)
Old 25 Dec 2014, 06:33 PM   #57
spiderman

Representative of:
Fastcheck.org
Quote:
Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy View Post
Yes I am. The notification email I just received from your post goes directly to my Inbox. So the FastCheck icon changed back to a checkmark as soon as I opened that email. But the icon does not 'go back' when any emails going to a sub or sub sub folder are read.
As per the IMAP protocol, FC can only be notified instantly about changes in 1 folder, usually the inbox. Other folders will be updated on the next poll.

If you force "check for new mail", does the icon get reset?

Eric
Old 25 Dec 2014, 09:36 PM   #58
somdcomputerguy

Quote:
Other folders will be updated on the next poll.
Maybe with the earlier version (2.9.something I think) I had the poll set to a very small amount of time. I'll try that with the new version I'm using now.

edit: oops! there is no option to set or change the 'poll time' for FastCheck. I was thinking about the 'poll link' in the webmail UI..

Quote:
If you force "check for new mail", does the icon get reset?
Yes, if I've opened that email, marking it as 'read'.

Thanks so much Eric, I hope you enjoyed the Holiday.

- Bruce

Last edited by somdcomputerguy : 26 Dec 2014 at 09:23 AM. Reason: oops!
Old 26 Dec 2014, 03:23 AM   #59
walpurg

Thanks for the XP fix, Eric!

For those interested, the method to change back to the "classic" notification icons from Fastmail 2.x also works with 3.0.1.0.
walpurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2014, 09:31 AM   #60
somdcomputerguy

Also Eric, and I don't know if this helps to isolate my issue, but if I have email in any sub folder and the Inbox, and if I read or just delete the email that is in the sub folder before I do the same to the email in the Inbox, the icon will reset itself as expected when the email in the Inbox is 'acted upon'.

Thanks, - Bruce