EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 15 Mar 2002, 06:04 AM   #16
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Sorry--"no-one" wasn't quite accurate. I'm not inclined to make LDAP a priority if only one IMAP client supports it... (even if it is the best IMAP client )

Any Moz hackers out there feel like adding LDAP authentication to Mozilla? ...
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2002, 06:29 AM   #17
ppetru

Did you check Outlook? It should support it, given MS's focus on LDAP/Active Directory with win2k...
ppetru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2002, 06:57 AM   #18
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Good point. They do have LDAP auth. Although I'd suspect that they use some complex proprietrary schema... I haven't actually checked though.
Old 3 May 2002, 06:59 AM   #19
emsilva

There we go, Jeremy:

Client that supports IMAP and LDAP for Linux:

Balsa
Evolution
TradeClient
netscape-mail (http://developer.netscape.com/docs/m...tor/ldap45.htm)
mozilla (http://www.mozilla.org/mailnews/spec...ook/LDAP4.html)
mutt
exmh
pine*

Web based clients:

IMP
IMHO

Windows/(The most part here has their Mac Version)

MS Outlook
Lotus Notes*
Qualcom Eudora Pro
MCS Calypso
Net Manager Z-mail
Messaging Direct ExecMail
Green Baloney Mehtix

Those with "*" are the ones I KNOW supports read/write access to an LDAP server. I don't know about the others.
Mozilla *DOES* have support to LDAP as well.

Hey, *please* let me know any other information you want to start thinking about implement an LDAP server for us!

Regards,

Emannuel Silva
fastmail.fm - Just do it.
emsilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2002, 07:18 AM   #20
ppetru

Thanks Emannuel! Maybe Jeremy will more motivated now to implement it
ppetru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2002, 08:35 AM   #21
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

I'll only really be motivated to implement it if there is read/write access, AND authentication (not much use if you can edit someone else's addresses)!

Thanks for this great list, Emsilva; could you also add in an indicator of which support authentication and show only your personal contacts?
Old 3 May 2002, 08:43 AM   #22
emsilva

Smile

More Information:

This article talks basically about OpenLDAP. And has information about how to get it, install it, use it, whatever you want to do!

http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/Ju...ticle159.shtml

If you want a TOOL to import the LDAP information to your preffered e-mail client, you can use the LDAPBrowser (http://www.ldapadministrator.com) for Windows or this one http://www.iit.edu/~gawojar/ldap/ (Java) for any operational system. With both you can export your ldap information to a ".ldif" file that can be imported into most e-mail clients.

That's all folks!

Regards,

Emannuel Silva
fastmail.fm - The freshmaker
Old 3 May 2002, 08:49 AM   #23
emsilva

Quote:
Thanks for this great list, Emsilva; could you also add in an indicator of which support authentication and show only your personal contacts?
Sure... I don't know all those browsers, I just know what they can do. But I will try to find out. I will try to post an answer until monday about this one.

Regards,

Emannuel Silva
fastmail.fm - The best way to seize your life.
Old 3 May 2002, 09:16 AM   #24
Yuyo
Essential Contributor

Evolution supports LDAP authentication

This would be an excellent feature and one more to
differentiate Fastmail from the pack.

I will even draft the marketing buzz in advance of its implementation to give the motivational push to Jeremy.

Here it is:

"Fastmail. fm has yet outdone itself once more. Not only does it provide fast access to your email no matter where you are, but now also features anywhere, anytime access to those bits of information that you cannot live without: your contacts. Through a robust implementation of the LDAP protocol, you can now access and edit your contacts on any email client that features LDAP authentication. Fastmail fulfills the promise of anywhere, anytime, email connectivity. In so doing, fastmail leaves its competitors to dry out in the Australian sun".

Ok, I may have gotten a little carried away with the "anywhere, anytime". Anticipation over this great feature got the best of me.

What do you say, Jeremy?
Yuyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2002, 09:25 AM   #25
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

I agree that the outcome is important, and would be good publicity. However, I think our planned address synchronization tool would be a better way to achieve this outcome, since LDAP is only useful in this context with the tiny subset of clients that provide read/write and user authentication.
Old 3 May 2002, 12:08 PM   #26
mvpittman
Essential Contributor

hmmm... wait for LDAP, wait for synch tool, switch clients based on which comes first?, ACAP?

I'm not sure what to do about this one. I just want to stop having to have my address book in my client.

- Marland
mvpittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jun 2002, 09:37 PM   #27
joelpt
Essential Contributor

In lieu of supporting LDAP and the release of the address book tool - could we get a simple option on the Addresses page which would generate a .CSV file for us to download containing our address book?

There is the option to view the addresses "for download" there presently, but this format really doesn't parse into any email clients readily ... a simple CSV file should be readable by just about any email client worth its salt.
joelpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jun 2002, 09:50 PM   #28
mvpittman
Essential Contributor

I second that. The web address book is pretty much useless if you use a client.

I mean, there's no good way to get addresses from the web address book into an e-mail client, rather than the "for download" viiew, which doesn't really work well.

I don't care how -- synchronization tool, Authenticated LDAP with read/write access, or just a two way upadate, but I'd really like to keep my address book on fastmail (or anywhere) and then get the addresses in my client or choice for the time...

- Marland
mvpittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jun 2002, 11:54 PM   #29
Dutch

Not that I'm thinking of leaving FastMail, but......

are there any IMAP providers, with equal quality, that fully support IMAP (including the address synchronization)?.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2002, 12:19 AM   #30
matt_heinrichs

LDAP synchronization

And correct me if I'm wrong, since I haven't done a search for such a tool yet, but wouldn't there be existings tools/code that could be leveraged to synchronize address books with an LDAP source?

This would mean that people who had a client that could read LDAP directly would be all set, plus people who have other clients could still synchronize (and hopefully place less of a development/support burden on Fastmail).
matt_heinrichs is offline   Reply With Quote