EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 2 Nov 2001, 07:14 AM   #1
OtaconTV

Spam folder?

I've been at hotmail too long, I miss my spam folder. Does fastmail have plans of putting a system like that up? I like the idea of having all my mail go to one folder, and selecting which individual ones goe to my inbox.
OtaconTV is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2 Nov 2001, 08:29 AM   #2
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Yes, our plans to deal with spam are discussed in this thread: http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...&threadid=1110 . The plan is to create a 'spam score' header which you can then use with the Define Rules screen to reject mail or move mail into a folder depending on spam score.

If you use pobox.com forwarding to FastMail.FM you can do this now, since they add a 'spam score' to the subject, which works well with FastMail.FM's filtering.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Nov 2001, 01:48 PM   #3
Lvsheng
Essential Contributor

But we still need a spam folder for that. For me I have created my own Junk folder. Hope that it won't clash.

TV, you mean sending all mail to Junk folder and manually retrieve them back depending out validity?
Lvsheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Nov 2001, 01:55 PM   #4
OtaconTV

Uh, I mean just like on Hotmail. My e-mails go directly to Junk mail, unless their address is on my safe list, or in my address book.
Old 2 Nov 2001, 02:10 PM   #5
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Yep OtaconTV, we'll be adding a "Where I'm listed in in To/Cc" filter criteria when we do the Spam stuff. And lvsheng, you'll be able to choose what folder to use, so your Junk folder won't clash.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Nov 2001, 11:18 PM   #6
Lvsheng
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by OtaconTV
Uh, I mean just like on Hotmail. My e-mails go directly to Junk mail, unless their address is on my safe list, or in my address book.
Personally I feel that this method of filtering is quite dangerous. Some day, someone (eg Asus tech support) unexpectedly or expectedly mail you something, that person is not in address book. Then his mail will go to Junk folder and you probably won't notice it. How you differentiate legitimate and spam in junk folder?
Old 3 Nov 2001, 07:25 AM   #7
OtaconTV

What do you mean by legitimate spam? Do you mean spam sent randomly? It shows your folders on the side of the screen when you log in. It has a counter showing you how many new e-mails are in each folder. So if you log in to your inbox, you'll see the counters in the other folders too.

Hotmail has three or four different levels to deal with spam. I can't rememeber them all but I have mine set to the highest so any mail that comes in goes to the junk mail until I tell it to go to the inbox. Whenever you get mail, or send mail to someone you don't know, it will ask you if you want to put them in the address book, that it's a mailing list, or a message that you want to recieve.
Old 3 Nov 2001, 08:11 AM   #8
Lvsheng
Essential Contributor

Actually I am asking how you differentiate legitimate mail and spam mail in junk folder? I dunno that omiting the 'mail' in question convey different meaning to you.

So consider revising your answer a little bit.
Old 3 Nov 2001, 10:17 AM   #9
OtaconTV

I don't usually get Spam mail (like newsletters) , unless I subscribe to it. If it is something I didn't subscibe to I ignore it. Is that what you mean? Sorry if I confused you.
Old 3 Nov 2001, 12:58 PM   #10
princessmaeve

If I'm understanding correctly, I think Lvsheng is asking how you differentiate from obvious spam and legitimate mail that is forwarded to your junk mail folder because it is not in your address book. An example would be if someone you knew and trusted changed their e-mail address unexpectedly, or had to use another address for whatever reason. Their e-mail would then get forwarded to your junk mail folder, and would have the chance of being deleted
princessmaeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Nov 2001, 01:42 PM   #11
OtaconTV

Thanks princessmaeve, I understand what your saying.
My account deletes the junk mail folder ever 14 days. I check my hotmail at least twice a week so I have time to catch it. If the header looks like it's from a friend I will open it.
Old 3 Nov 2001, 05:05 PM   #12
Lvsheng
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by princessmaeve
If I'm understanding correctly, I think Lvsheng is asking how you differentiate from obvious spam and legitimate mail that is forwarded to your junk mail folder because it is not in your address book. An example would be if someone you knew and trusted changed their e-mail address unexpectedly, or had to use another address for whatever reason. Their e-mail would then get forwarded to your junk mail folder, and would have the chance of being deleted
Yes this is what exactly that I want, thanks princess.
Old 3 Nov 2001, 05:10 PM   #13
Lvsheng
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by OtaconTV
Thanks princessmaeve, I understand what your saying.
My account deletes the junk mail folder ever 14 days. I check my hotmail at least twice a week so I have time to catch it. If the header looks like it's from a friend I will open it.
Oh I see.
TV, do you receive any spam that use hotmail or yahoo address and their subject is very friendly one? Eg the subject "Re: Your requested info", "Fwd: Cute wallpaper". It is this kind of subject that really cause trouble. It seems like it is coming from your friend. Sometime feel like cheater by the subject and From.
Old 3 Nov 2001, 06:02 PM   #14
OtaconTV

I used to on my old Hotmail account. But when it started getting spammed stuff I switched, and my new one only gets maybe one spam a month. But I see how what you say it really can be decieving. It also helps that I ask all my friends not to send me chain letters for fear of viruses and spam. I think that's one of the ways spammers get your address. They get a hold of a chain letter and they could get up to 50 addresses in one shot.
Old 4 Nov 2001, 01:02 AM   #15
Lvsheng
Essential Contributor

I very seldom get these kind of spam. Maybe just 1 or 2 a month. But my colleague are less fortunate. He got many spam everyday. They are using hotmail too. We receive tons of forwarded mail from friend though. So I dun think i get spam because of chain letter. Maybe because i am not using hotmail for chain letter.

I assume the chain letter that you mentioned is those forwarded mail.