EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 19 Dec 2019, 04:40 AM   #16
haryo

Yes, I do sometimes access my email with an android phone, and an iPad. Why would that result in an email ending up in the Fastmail spam folder? And I've been doing it for much longer than the duration of this problem.
haryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2019, 05:16 AM   #17
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by haryo View Post
Yes, I do sometimes access my email with an android phone, and an iPad. Why would that result in an email ending up in the Fastmail spam folder? And I've been doing it for much longer than the duration of this problem.
Any mail client potentially does spam filtering. Thunderbird cannot be the source of the problem if it only uses POP3. I strongly suspect you will find that the mail client on one of your mobile devices is moving the messages to the junk mail folder.

To check this theory, you could ask for your friend to send you a message while your mobile devices are turned off, and check to see if the message arrives in the Inbox. If so, turn on the mobile devices about 30 minutes apart, checking if the message move from the Inbox to the spam folder.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2019, 06:10 AM   #18
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

If there are mobile devices involved (i.e., that phone and/or ipad) I suspect those are usually configured by default as IMAP and one or both of them probably the culprits filtering those senders into spam. So as suggested, turning those mail apps off (or turning the phone and ipad off) would prove it's the phone's and/or ipad's email app considering those senders as spam and filtering it as such thus causing those to move to the webmail's spam folder.

If the stuff is still being filtered into spam with those apps off, then headers or no headers, it would be nice to see the the actual sieve script (also properly censored of course) since nothing is getting into the server side spam folder without going through it if it's the only one doing the filtering. You may think you have your settings correct but whatever they are will definitely be reflected in the actual sieve script.

To copy the sieve script, click the Rules setting, then Edit custom Sieve code (near the top or bottom of the rules settings), and then click Copy to Clipboard at the top of the script display. After that you can paste it into to wherever you want to censor it if need be.

Last edited by xyzzy : 19 Dec 2019 at 06:17 AM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2019, 04:47 PM   #19
haryo

Thank you to those offering me advice. I'll experiment with my other devices off.

Re sieve codes, there are no rules, or custom sieve codes I have entered. Here is the web page in it's entirety. When I simply do a 'copy to clipboard' nothing is copied.

require ["fileinto", "reject", "vacation", "notify", "envelope", "body", "relational", "regex", "subaddress", "copy", "mailbox", "mboxmetadata", "servermetadata", "date", "index", "comparator-i;ascii-numeric", "variables", "imap4flags", "editheader", "duplicate", "vacation-seconds", "fcc"];

### 1. Sieve generated for save-on-SMTP identities
# You do not have any identities with special filing.

### 2. Sieve generated for discard rules
# You do not have any discard rules.

### 3. Sieve generated for spam protection
# You do not have spam protection enabled.

### 4. Sieve generated for forwarding rules
# You do not have any forwarding rules.

### 5. Sieve generated for vacation responses
# You do not have vacation responses enabled.

### 6. Sieve generated for calendar preferences
if
allof(
header :is "X-ME-Cal-Method" "request",
not exists "X-ME-Cal-Exists",
header :contains "X-Spam-Known-Sender" "in-addressbook"
)
{
notify :method "addcal";
}
elsif exists "X-ME-Cal-Exists" {
notify :method "updatecal";
}

### 7. Sieve generated for organise rules
# You have no organise rules.

### 8. Sieve generated for fetch mail filing
# You have no pop-links filing into special folders.
Old 19 Dec 2019, 05:13 PM   #20
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Ok, based on that script it's not the problem and I believe that if stuff is turning up in the webmail spam folder then either the phone or the ipad are configured as IMAP and are filtering the stuff as spam.

It's then up to you to "fix" the app(s) to not treat those senders as spam, e.g., try retraining their spam filters, and/or adding filter (organize) rule(s), and/or adding them to their contacts/address book (assuming those apps consider contacts for spam overriding).

Last edited by xyzzy : 19 Dec 2019 at 05:48 PM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2019, 07:24 PM   #21
haryo

Thanks. The iPad account is actually now deleted, and all mobile devices are off. The one PC is the only one online. I've requested the relevant people to email me to test the results.
Old 20 Dec 2019, 05:20 AM   #22
placebo
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
Ok, based on that script it's not the problem and I believe that if stuff is turning up in the webmail spam folder then either the phone or the ipad are configured as IMAP and are filtering the stuff as spam.
If it's one of the devices, it's likely the phone. I don't think the iOS mail client has the capability to apply rules to messages, and it relies on the provider to do server-side spam filtering.
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2019, 09:06 PM   #23
haryo

SOLVED, I think.

It was an email notifier program I had running. 'Pop Peeper', similar to Mailwasher.