EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 29 Apr 2021, 06:06 AM   #1
geedee

Equivalent of a gmail "all mail" link/function?

Hello -- is there a way to get an "all mail" view (everything sent to any alias in every folder except for spam) similar to how gmail works? This would be very useful...
geedee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Apr 2021, 06:51 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Yes! If you switch to Labels mode in Settings>Preferences>Mail>Labels, the Archive folder (used in Folders mode) will become All mail and will show all messages not in Spam or Trash. I really like labels mode, but you can switch back and forth between folders and labels mode at any time.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2021, 06:58 AM   #3
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

I suggest putting the alias (I only tried this with a full email address, so..) into the search field, then saving the 'search link' generated. I have a gmail account but I hardly ever use it so I don't know if this is similar to, or easier or harder than, their solution.

- Bruce

eta: Ah, Bill beat me to it and with a better solution too. Why am am I not in the least bit surprised?

Last edited by somdcomputerguy : 29 Apr 2021 at 07:02 AM. Reason: it's not always a 'two minds' thing..
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2021, 07:09 AM   #4
geedee

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Yes! If you switch to Labels mode in Settings>Preferences>Mail>Labels, the Archive folder (used in Folders mode) will become All mail and will show all messages not in Spam or Trash. I really like labels mode, but you can switch back and forth between folders and labels mode at any time.

Bill
This is great. Works perfectly.

And thank you to both of you for the replies.
Old 29 Apr 2021, 08:07 AM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Searches now find content inside attachments

As Bruce points out, the search feature can be used to achieve similar goals, and I want to encourage you to use search often. Fastmail has greatly improved the search capability in the past few months. For example, let's say you believe that someone sent you information in the past about a sequencer, but you don't know who sent it or when it was sent.
  • If you search for sequencer in All mail, you will find all mentions of terms similar to sequencer in all folders (other than Spam or Trash). This search uses stemming and will also find mentions of sequence, sequences, and sequencing. Stemming finds plurals, other tenses, and other grammatically related terms.
  • If you search using quotes for "sequencer" in All mail, you will find all mentions of the exact term sequencer in all folders (other than Spam or Trash). The stemmed variants are ignored due to the quotes.
  • But this search is much more powerful than you might guess from that description, since in addition to finding the search term in the subject or body of the message, it also finds the search term inside attachments or the name of attachments. So you can find sequencer mentioned in any common file type attachment, including Word, Excel, Powerpoint, PDF, and text attachments. This search will work even if the file is part of a zipped (without a password) attachment.
  • I'm getting ready to start a new house build and the room names have changed over the past year. Yes, things go slowly in a pandemic! I can search for the following to discover when all of these room names were added to the PDF house design drawings:
    Quote:
    "corridor" "entry" "deck" "library"
    I have over 200,000 email conversations in my Fastmail main account (over the past 17 years), and the only hits to that search are inside the PDF house drawing attachments received in the past year where all of those room names were present.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2021, 10:38 AM   #6
geedee

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
As Bruce points out, the search feature can be used to achieve similar goals, and I want to encourage you to use search often. Fastmail has greatly improved the search capability in the past few months. For example, let's say you believe that someone sent you information in the past about a sequencer, but you don't know who sent it or when it was sent.
  • If you search for sequencer in All mail, you will find all mentions of terms similar to sequencer in all folders (other than Spam or Trash). This search uses stemming and will also find mentions of sequence, sequences, and sequencing. Stemming finds plurals, other tenses, and other grammatically related terms.
  • If you search using quotes for "sequencer" in All mail, you will find all mentions of the exact term sequencer in all folders (other than Spam or Trash). The stemmed variants are ignored due to the quotes.
  • But this search is much more powerful than you might guess from that description, since in addition to finding the search term in the subject or body of the message, it also finds the search term inside attachments or the name of attachments. So you can find sequencer mentioned in any common file type attachment, including Word, Excel, Powerpoint, PDF, and text attachments. This search will work even if the file is part of a zipped (without a password) attachment.
  • I'm getting ready to start a new house build and the room names have changed over the past year. Yes, things go slowly in a pandemic! I can search for the following to discover when all of these room names were added to the PDF house design drawings:I have over 200,000 email conversations in my Fastmail main account (over the past 17 years), and the only hits to that search are inside the PDF house drawing attachments received in the past year where all of those room names were present.
Bill

Thanks, Bill. These are really helpful and I'm glad to see stemming in place. I do use search quite often and I think FMs search is superb. I want to be able to load all messages, too, because at times I have so many rules in place that I'm not sure if something I need to see is getting moved, so a quick way to check is the "all mail" method. Thanks again for the tips and help!
Old 30 Apr 2021, 03:28 PM   #7
brong
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
You can also just search for

Code:
in:*
and it will find all the emails in all your folders. This can be saved as a search and will appear in your folder list with a magnifying glass logo.
brong is offline   Reply With Quote