EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 12 Nov 2005, 10:44 AM   #241
sammy12345

Exclamation

I tried to open a new thread entitled "We need Answers from FastMail NOW, or else...", however, this board's mod (Gankaku) closed it and asked me to post a less demanding version in an existing thread. So, here I go (for the unedited version, please visit (http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...threadid=39286):

I see so many threads on this terrible downtime and how it has influenced business and personal communications. However, as the top priority customer$ of FastMail (that's right, Server4 was apparently handling the Enhanced accounts), what exactly went wrong and what will be done to prevent it for customers who remain? Now, I believe, if FM continues to stray their information from that direction, a large share of customers may demand a refund (and that is a reasonable request) and the FM business may feel some consequences. However, if FM tells its customer-pool soon and perhaps offers credits and incentives in a timely manner, it may be prevented... To recall, we are discussing email communications that is largely the staple of modern-day communications. This much downtime is largely unacceptable is most industries, particularly for users that are statistically in the greatest need (and financial stake) of such services (i.e. Enhanced accounts)... To summarize, Right now, we have little details, credits are not in the talks, and people are expressing interest in fleeing. I think, FM should reclaim itself by addressing the issues I pose in this thread.
sammy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2005, 10:51 AM   #242
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Right now, all I'm really interested in is seeing the service restored and in being able to access the mail I had in there, although the most important things were backed up elsewhere. The reasons for the outage, what's to be done about it, etc are secondary right now...even though I've asked my own questions elsewhere.

I'm sure the guys at FM are mortified by what's happened in any case.
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2005, 10:51 AM   #243
DianeB
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry
How's This .
(and that was even in this thread...)

Sherry
Not to mention, I seriously doubt he's had very much sleep!

Could any of us come across as not sounding a bit tense if we'd had no sleep & knew thousands of people were depending on us? *Highly* doubtful!

~Diane
DianeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2005, 11:04 AM   #244
CML209
Essential Contributor

Jeremy has done really well under the circumstances, and I couldn't blame him if he did get testy. Oh, and he did apologize. I don't think that has been an issue in any of the outages I have seen, save when he may have been too busy.

I keep coming back, hoping that someone would post to having their service restored. The first users should have come online some hours ago. That would give us some hope that things are on schedule, or forgivably behind.

Please post, any of you that have had service restored.

Chei Mi
CML209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2005, 11:04 AM   #245
DianeB

Quote:
Originally posted by sammy12345
<snip> However, as the top priority customer$ of FastMail (that's right, Server4 was apparently handling the Enhanced accounts), what exactly went wrong and what will be done to prevent it for customers who remain?

However, if FM tells its customer-pool soon and perhaps offers credits and incentives in a timely manner, it may be prevented...

To summarize, Right now, we have little details, credits are not in the talks, and people are expressing interest in fleeing. I think, FM should reclaim itself by addressing the issues I pose in this thread. <end snip>
FULL accounts have also been affected in the same way as enhanced & we pay good money for our accounts too.

Would you rather J & R take time to post to us, what they are going to offer as credits & incentives, instead of doing what I'm sure they are doing right now, which is hard at work at trying to restore everyone's service?

Isn't that, or shouldn't that, take top priority?

Credits, incentives, addressing issues as to what might be done to prevent this from happening again, all take seconds for me. I'm much more prone on having my email service restored, then after they've had much needed sleep, perhaps they can respond to all the questions in all the threads, that would take days for them to get to anyway.

Again, just my 2¢ worth.

~Diane
Old 12 Nov 2005, 11:07 AM   #246
sammy12345

Sure Diane, however, if FM has such a great paying customer-base, then that requires quick and immediate resolution. Operations and troubleshooting should not be dependent on a single individual (or even a team of three members) when "thousands" of customer's communications are at stake, right? They are in the communications business, they ought to be familiar with the importance of its dissemination (i.e. to their clients).
Old 12 Nov 2005, 11:11 AM   #247
sammy12345

To add, I find it a bit pitable that people are placing their important communications in the hands "J and R" which Diane has suggested a couple times, need their "sleep". Perhaps, some customers were just unaware of FM's inadequate support system (where in a communication business really must shine to sustain itself).
Old 12 Nov 2005, 11:16 AM   #248
CML209
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by sammy12345
To add, I find it a bit pitable that people are placing their important communications in the hands "J and R" which Diane has suggested a couple times, need their "sleep". Perhaps, some customers were just unaware of FM's inadequate support system (where in a communication business really must shine to sustain itself).
I think anyone who's done her homework and paid for FM realized that this was a company that was small, reliable, and up and coming. My biggest sadness with FM is that I have not used them for any serious emailing, but stayed because the bells and whistles got better. I would like to consider them again to be my main email provider, but I will wait to see how this is handled, if it's according to schedule (or close), and if I can get my account moved to another server. I am not willing to trust 4, no matter if they replace the whole thing.

Chei Mi
CML209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2005, 11:19 AM   #249
ehabshoubaki

come on! tell us something , throw us a bone ....
ehabshoubaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2005, 11:22 AM   #250
sammy12345

Even a bone in these times would be nice to chew on... Moreover, your credits/incentives/etc must be substantial, as you guys well know ...
Old 12 Nov 2005, 11:33 AM   #251
biffbulkie
Essential Contributor

I have been with Fastmail from almost the beginning. An email service started by 2 very bright guys was very intriguing. However, Fastmail has become a victim of it's own growth. It is no longer a small email service that 2 guys on the other side of the world can run. There need to be more than 2 people who can solve severe problems. However, I doubt the business can afford to bring more experienced people aboard.
I fear this email adventure is approaching it's tipping point. The last days of Fastmail may be approaching. And that makes me very sad.
biffbulkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2005, 11:39 AM   #252
DianeB

I honestly don't *know*, but I would certainly think there are more than 2-3 people working on getting everything restored.

But from what I do know of J & R, I'm sure they would be working hand in hand with whomever, however many, that are working to restore our service.

And I don't think hotmail, yahoo, or any other large company, would have a set of individuals that would work round the clock to give hands on service.

Don't take me wrong, I do understand the frustrations of no answers, but I would think getting everyone's service restored would be much more important right now.

And I guess I probably wouldn't be posting so much at the moment, but my sister came over & we got into a huge arguement that has me terribly on edge. (as if I really needed anything more at the moment!). So I guess I should hush up til I'm not so riled up.

As I was 'previewing' this post, I saw the comment about me being a bit pitiful & my making several comments about J & R loosing sleep, so I'll hush up for sure now.

~Diane
To the individual that sent me a PM, it touched me beyond means, but I found I can't reply until I've had a chance to calm down from the arguement with my sister. Just wanted you to know I'm definitely *not* ignoring you.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 11:43 AM   #253
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by DianeB
As I was 'previewing' this post, I saw the comment about me being a bit pitiful & my making several comments about J & R loosing sleep, so I'll hush up for sure now.
No need to hush up...a time like this is a great occasion for a gab-fest
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2005, 11:45 AM   #254
DianeB

Yeah, but don't want to go so much OT here.

~Diane
Old 12 Nov 2005, 11:51 AM   #255
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by biffbulkie
I have been with Fastmail from almost the beginning. An email service started by 2 very bright guys was very intriguing. However, Fastmail has become a victim of it's own growth. It is no longer a small email service that 2 guys on the other side of the world can run. There need to be more than 2 people who can solve severe problems. However, I doubt the business can afford to bring more experienced people aboard.
I fear this email adventure is approaching it's tipping point. The last days of Fastmail may be approaching. And that makes me very sad.
Something doesn't mesh. They supposedly have hundreds of thousands or millions of users, so one can assume decent revenues. They why can't they afford to pay more than a skeleton staff.

DianeB, you making assumptions which I don't think are valid. Hotmail, Yahoo, Google, etc., have thousands of servers and thousands of employees. Of course, many are on alert at all hours of the day. What do you think they shut down at 5 PM?

The problems with FM is that there are precisely only a couple of individuals how are able to fix things. Not a legion of programmers ready and willing to jump into action.

Biffbulkie is correct. The service needs more bodies. Either that or they should scrap the free accounts, excise the dormant accounts, and go paid subscription, yearly renewable, only.

BTW, I may have missed Jeremy's "apologia" but when one's email is down, wading through 17 pages of forum posts is hardly what a pleasure.

I'd suggest a stickly thread next time.
oysterquartz is offline   Reply With Quote