EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 14 Jan 2017, 11:33 AM   #121
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Yea you and about another 2.000 people.

Try Firefox thunderbird......its nice and basic and you can change the skins.

You have to use a Fastmail one time passwod for thunderbird your normal password wont work.
Please note smtp is port 587 and starlets security

pop.fastmail.com
Port 995
SSL/TSL security
Normal password

smtp.fastmail.com
Port 587
Starlets Security Normal Password
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2017, 09:15 AM   #122
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivil View Post
what did you do not understand ?
@wakaba
Are you going to answer vivil's perfectly clear and reasonable question?
And if not, why not?
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2017, 09:54 AM   #123
placebo
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhm View Post
@wakaba
Are you going to answer vivil's perfectly clear and reasonable question?
And if not, why not?
I had a reaction similar to wakaba's when I read vivil's post. Not to put words in wakaba's mouth, I'd say the answer to vivil's question is "virtually the entire post." I understand that English is not vivil's first language, but even by those standards, the intelligibility of that particular post was very poor.
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2017, 10:57 AM   #124
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

I look at it like this can you speak and write French? ...
Old 15 Jan 2017, 01:24 PM   #125
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
I look at it like this can you speak and write French? ...
I can, but not very well.

I thought @wakaba's post was rude and insensitive. Having spent most of the last 38 years living and working in non English speaking countries, I understand how difficult it can be to communicate in languages in which you are not fluent.

Leaving aside the way @wakaba expressed himself, it is a fact that it was difficult for English speakers to decipher that specific @vivil post. It took French structure and idioms and translated them rather literally into English. I do not blame @vivil for that. He is making the effort to try to communicate with us in our language. If wanting to point out our comprehension problems, and wanting @vivil to clarify, better would be to say something like the following:
Quote:
Thank you for trying to explain your concerns regarding the end of classical interface support. Unfortunately, your phrasing is not immediately understandable to English speakers unfamiliar with French sentence structure. Might it be possible for you to rephrase your post using very simple and direct sentences that avoid the risk of being French idioms translated into English? Thanks.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2017, 01:27 PM   #126
David
Ultimate Contributor

When I think of the end of the classical interface, it always reminds me of the 'last cowboy song' - I don't know why.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2017, 08:27 PM   #127
Gsptlsnz

The FF plugin solved the "Folder Count" issue... now is there a way to solve the problem of having to click twice to follow a hyperlink?

IE, when I click a link in an e-mail Firefox says "this page is redirecting to another page" and I have to click the "Continue" button to get to the page.

Wasn't like this on the old interface...
Gsptlsnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jan 2017, 10:33 PM   #128
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsptlsnz View Post
The FF plugin solved the "Folder Count" issue... now is there a way to solve the problem of having to click twice to follow a hyperlink?

IE, when I click a link in an e-mail Firefox says "this page is redirecting to another page" and I have to click the "Continue" button to get to the page.

Wasn't like this on the old interface...
I mostly use Chrome, but I seem to recall
Options->Advanced> Uncheck "Warn me when trying to redirect"
or something like that.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2017, 12:35 AM   #129
Gsptlsnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
I mostly use Chrome, but I seem to recall
Options->Advanced> Uncheck "Warn me when trying to redirect"
or something like that.
I want to keep that alert, I just want to disable the redirect on fastmail. The classic version doesn't redirect.
Gsptlsnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2017, 12:40 AM   #130
vivil
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
I can, but not very well.

I thought @wakaba's post was rude and insensitive. Having spent most of the last 38 years living and working in non English speaking countries, I understand how difficult it can be to communicate in languages in which you are not fluent.

Leaving aside the way @wakaba expressed himself, it is a fact that it was difficult for English speakers to decipher that specific @vivil post. It took French structure and idioms and translated them rather literally into English. I do not blame @vivil for that. He is making the effort to try to communicate with us in our language. If wanting to point out our comprehension problems, and wanting @vivil to clarify, better would be to say something like the following:
hahaha i do not need such politeness

I really tought only wakaba did not understand that. i knew some mistakes "which => who" after my post but i'm open to rewrite if necessary...

Now; my sentences corrected by a native english speaker:
Innovation is a combination of adding and/or simplifying schemes…
With my 2 videos, I found 2 bugs.
Excepting DumbGuy who has already detected them, I’m so glad to know that other readers of this thread like the product despite these 2 bugs which can occur to tens of thousands of FM customers when they skip over some mail items. I applaud.
vivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2017, 07:29 AM   #131
wakaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivil View Post
hahaha i do not need such politeness

I really tought only wakaba did not understand that. i knew some mistakes "which => who" after my post but i'm open to rewrite if necessary...

Now; my sentences corrected by a native english speaker:
Innovation is a combination of adding and/or simplifying schemes…
With my 2 videos, I found 2 bugs.
Excepting DumbGuy who has already detected them, I’m so glad to know that other readers of this thread like the product despite these 2 bugs which can occur to tens of thousands of FM customers when they skip over some mail items. I applaud.
I don't really want to pile on, but this still doesn't make sense to me, especially as a response to my previous post.

Just for context, this is my post that vivil was responding to:

Quote:
Sounds like what you're suggesting is that if any of fastmail's subscribers "lose what they purchased" due to a potential change, then it should not be implemented, even if the majority of users benefit.

I for one am very happy that fastmail does not adopt such a backward-looking approach to innovation.
While vivil's (corrected) post has certainly improved grammatically, it still does not seem like a coherent response. This was obviously exacerbated by the language issues.

Last edited by wakaba : 16 Jan 2017 at 07:37 AM. Reason: misspelled vivil
wakaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2017, 09:52 AM   #132
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Well there is UK English, AU English and US English....each country can spell the same word differently so it would be difficult trying to put French into an English sentence.

Perhaps he should post in French and then you convert.
Old 16 Jan 2017, 10:00 AM   #133
David
Ultimate Contributor

vivil speaks English, very, very, well, imho: far better than any of us here speak French. vivil is to be commended.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2017, 10:07 AM   #134
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Yes I agree my post was to Wakaba not Vivil...
Old 16 Jan 2017, 10:09 AM   #135
wakaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Well there is UK English, AU English and US English....each country can spell the same word differently so it would be difficult trying to put French into an English sentence.

Perhaps he should post in French and then you convert.
What does this have to do with my last comment? As Vivil said, he's already had a native English speaker go over it. At this point,Vivil's post still seems unintelligible, but this doesn't seem to be due to a language problem anymore.
wakaba is offline   Reply With Quote