EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 16 Jun 2011, 09:17 AM   #1
CyberSmurf

CIA.com (3Web) wonky today

Today was one of my bi-weekly test days.

The message didn't arrive at my CIA.com (3Web) accounts via POP. When I investigated IMAP and webmail this morning, I found that all folders had disappeared and Inbox was empty.
15 minutes ago that was still the case, but checking again the last test message is now in the webmail Inbox. The message still doesn't appear in POP/IMAP.
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 Jun 2011, 09:28 AM   #2
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

That must most likely have some bearing on my "re-receiving" a number of old messages from my almost-never-used cia.com account today, whether re-autoforwarded by the cia.com service (I've had autoforwarding active with the account for a long time, only very rarely logging into the webmail interface) or redownloaded by a Gmail account which I also have set up to poll it by POP3, I haven't yet determined which.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2011, 12:43 AM   #3
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

FWIW, examining the header of one of the several messages I "re-received" yesterday, it appears that they weren't reforwarded by cia.com, but were "re-POPed"(?) by Gmail. I knew I didn't log into the webmail often, most of the time not even remembering I have an account there, but according to information in the web interface upon logging into same today, I was a little surprised to see that my last webmail login was as far back as September 2009, getting close to 2 years ago. All my relatively few old messages still seem to be there, though, along with 14 spam messages received over that time period, which I guess isn't too bad a rate of spam for a time span of the better part of two years.
Old 17 Jun 2011, 09:00 PM   #4
CyberSmurf

My e-mail accounts were part of free internet accounts from 3Web.net back in 2000.
The free internet is gone but my e-mail accounts kept working.

Because my e-mail account is associated with an internet account that no longer exists, I can't change my password.
Old 17 Jun 2011, 09:20 PM   #5
CyberSmurf

Still can't access Inbox thru POP/IMAP.
Telnet doesn't show any messages either.
Old 17 Jun 2011, 09:43 PM   #6
CyberSmurf

I don't know if free @cia.com e-mail accounts are available anymore, but the irony is that they were never available to Canadians.

If you access cia.com from Canada, they only offer paid internet accounts.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 03:55 AM   #7
CyberSmurf

In webmail (my version anyway) there is a "Problem" link between "Options" and "Help".

I submitted a "problem report" and later found the following message in my webmail inbox.
Code:
From:  Mail Delivery System <MAILER-DAEMON@edtmtds.thinktel.ca>  
To:  xxxx@cia.com 
Subject:  Delayed Mail (still being retried) 
------------------------------------------------------------
Reporting-MTA: dns; mx2.edtmtds.thinktel.ca
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 7F38BC55D9
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; xxxx@cia.com
Arrival-Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 06:31:41 -0600 (MDT)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; webmaster@example.com
Original-Recipient: rfc822;webmaster@example.com
Action: delayed
Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; connect to example.com[192.0.43.10]:25: Connection
    timed out
Will-Retry-Until: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 06:31:41 -0600 (MDT)

Last edited by CyberSmurf : 18 Jun 2011 at 04:01 AM.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 06:49 PM   #8
CyberSmurf

Exclamation 3Web.net address

Now they are no longer recognising my "@3web.net" addresses. These are my orginal addresses and the domain aliases that I send my bi-weekly test message to.
Code:
The following message to <xxxx@3web.net> was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'5.1.1 <xxxx@3web.net>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table'
Reporting-MTA: dns; idcmail-mo1so.shaw.ca
Old 18 Jun 2011, 07:12 PM   #9
CyberSmurf

I resent my test message to the @cia.com and @3web.com aliases.

When I logged into webmail with my @cia.com address to see if they had arrived, my Inbox was empty again and the Sent folder had disappeared again.
(A new Sent folder had been created when I sent a test message from webmail).

Then I logged into webmail with my @3web.com address and the messages were still there.
Checking the newest test messages in my inbox I found that test messages sent to my @cia.com alias have been delivered to @3web.com.
Code:
Delivered-To: xxxx@3web.com
To: xxxx@cia.com

Last edited by CyberSmurf : 18 Jun 2011 at 07:38 PM. Reason: different login
Old 18 Jun 2011, 07:34 PM   #10
CyberSmurf

Lightbulb

I changed my username in IMAP to @3web.com and it's working now.

So @cia.com or @3web.com are now different mail accounts as far as accessing mail on the servers is concerned.
But all messages sent to my @cia.com alias end up in the @3web.com account.

[addendum]
Previously my username in IMAP did not include a domain.

Last edited by CyberSmurf : 18 Jun 2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 19 Jun 2011, 02:27 AM   #11
CyberSmurf

old (Free) 3Web accounts at CIA.com

So, in summary, for people like me that got a free 3Web account way back when ...
Currently, it seems that :
  1. We can receive mail using an @cia.com alias, but we must use @3web.com as our username. We use login as @cia.com, but it won't show our (proper) inbox.
  2. The @3web.net alias is no longer supported.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2005-12-08
They introduce the "Envelope-to: xxxx@3web.com" header.

2009-02-??
@3web.net not accepted as webmail login anymore. Need to login with .com address.

2011-06-15
  • CIA.com deleted all webmail content.
  • "Envelope-to: xxxx@3web.com" header replaced with "Delivered-To: xxxx@3web.com" header.
  • @3web.com and @cia.com logins now access different mailboxes.
  • Messages to xxxx@cia.com alias continue to be delivered to xxxx@3web.com.

2011-06-16
@3web.net alias no longer supported (?)

Last edited by CyberSmurf : 19 Jun 2011 at 02:36 AM.
Old 19 Jun 2011, 03:55 AM   #12
rickm

cybersurf.net also broken

I typed up all the following, but just as I was finishing my wife phoned the help line at cia.com and the recording said there are known email problems and to just wait and keep trying. I'll post the following anyway in case it's of interest to somebody...

I've had a free cybersurf.net email (in Canada) for more years than I can remember (maybe 12?). The ONLY thing I've ever done with cybersurf is to retrieve email via pop3 (fetchmail on a Linux machine).

It stopped working at about 2:08am MDT on Wed June 15 2011.

I found a webmail interface at webmail.cia.com. If I login with my @cybersurf.net email address and the password I've always used, I get an empty Inbox but the account does exist. I'd expect it to be empty since I retrieve the mail with pop3.

If I telnet to port 110 of the mail.cybersurf.net server, I can't login using the account name and password, even though the password works on the webmail site (with the full email address as a userID).

I think the IP address of mail.cybersurf.net has changed.

Mail sent to me does NOT show up in the webmail Inbox, but if I send myself email to @cybersurf.net FROM the webmail interface, it DOES show up in the inbox.

I sent an email elsewhere from the webmail interface, and it arrived as if from my @cybersurf address. I replied to it, but the reply never showed up in the webmail Inbox.
rickm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2011, 04:38 AM   #13
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

I actually have two cia.com accounts/addresses, both opened soon after I first saw the service mentioned in these forums a few years ago (in 2005, I think). Since I make no real use of them at all, I haven't tested them thoroughly, but I did send a test message to both accounts yesterday, which was autoforwarded by at least one of them (it's hard to test both addresses with one test message, since they're both set to autoforward to Gmail and Gmail doesn't accept duplicate messages) and later set up one of them for POP collection from an account at a different service (not Gmail) and the messages seemed to be collected okay. So based on this very limited testing, one or both of my accounts seemed to be working okay.

As for changing the password, I haven't been able to find an option to change that in the web interface. However, by clicking on the "account" link or button from the main page that I get to upon going to cia.com (which I don't know whether is the same as the page you get) as shown circled in red here:

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/8720/cia1com.jpg

I get to this account login page:

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/2441/cia2com.jpg

which appears to allow login through one's phone number or authorization key. Since I had a number of free voicemail numbers I used for various signup purposes a few years ago, around the time I opened my cia.com accounts, I had no recollection of which, if any, I might have registered with this service. Nor did I remember an authorization key. However, by a search of old messages, I managed to turn up the introductory messages I received from the service upon registration, and these messages contained full information about my accounts, including my phone number, password, and authorization key, the latter of which is a number of the form: CYL-XXXX-CSXXX-XX. With that key and the password, I was able to login to my account, in which I believe I found an option to change the password, but not having actually tried to change it, I don't know whether that would change/set both the main account and email password. But I haven't found any way to change only the email password.
Old 19 Jun 2011, 07:01 AM   #14
CyberSmurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmailer View Post
... by a search of old messages, I managed to turn up the introductory messages I received from the service upon registration, and these messages contained full information about my accounts, including my phone number, password, and authorization key, the latter of which is a number of the form: CYL-XXXX-CSXXX-XX. With that key and the password, I was able to login to my account, in which I believe I found an option to change the password, but not having actually tried to change it, I don't know whether that would change/set both the main account and email password. But I haven't found any way to change only the email password.
Unfortunately my keys are from the CYW-xxxx-CSxxx-xx series, and I get an "Invalid username/password" error.
When they closed the free internet accounts, they must have closed the door on account management, even though the e-mail account remains active.
Old 20 Jun 2011, 03:27 AM   #15
CyberSmurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm View Post
I typed up all the following, but just as I was finishing my wife phoned the help line at cia.com and the recording said there are known email problems and to just wait and keep trying. I'll post the following anyway in case it's of interest to somebody...

I've had a free cybersurf.net email (in Canada) for more years than I can remember (maybe 12?). The ONLY thing I've ever done with cybersurf is to retrieve email via pop3 (fetchmail on a Linux machine).

It stopped working at about 2:08am MDT on Wed June 15 2011.

I found a webmail interface at webmail.cia.com. If I login with my @cybersurf.net email address and the password I've always used, I get an empty Inbox but the account does exist. I'd expect it to be empty since I retrieve the mail with pop3.

If I telnet to port 110 of the mail.cybersurf.net server, I can't login using the account name and password, even though the password works on the webmail site (with the full email address as a userID).

I think the IP address of mail.cybersurf.net has changed.

Mail sent to me does NOT show up in the webmail Inbox, but if I send myself email to @cybersurf.net FROM the webmail interface, it DOES show up in the inbox.

I sent an email elsewhere from the webmail interface, and it arrived as if from my @cybersurf address. I replied to it, but the reply never showed up in the webmail Inbox.
Out of curiosity, have you tried logging into webmail as username@cia.com?

When you say that POP stopped working. Do you mean that you can still POP the mailbox, but there are no messages? Or, do you mean that POP fails?
Try using mail.cia.com as the POP server instead.
Code:
C:\WINDOWS>ping mail.cybersurf.net

Pinging mail.cia.com [208.68.17.82] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 208.68.17.82: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=57
Reply from 208.68.17.82: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=57
Reply from 208.68.17.82: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=57
Reply from 208.68.17.82: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 208.68.17.82:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 24ms, Maximum =  29ms, Average =  26ms

Last edited by CyberSmurf : 20 Jun 2011 at 03:33 AM.