EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > About this site...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

About this site... Do you have any thoughts, suggestions or comments about this site? Post them here...

Old 11 May 2017, 01:56 AM   #1
evilquoll

Exclamation A plea to Edwin

Assuming you're still there.

Could we please have this forum updated to something more modern, such as XenForo (example forum here)? Not only does vBulletin have far fewer features (on the other forum, if I'm logged into it, I get immediately notified whenever anyone likes or replies to one of my posts, or mentions my username, provided they remember to use the @ before it), because of its age it has unpatched vulnerabilities. It's a miracle some cracker or script kiddie hasn't taken down this forum by now.
evilquoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11 May 2017, 07:37 AM   #2
evilquoll

The fact remains that vBulletin v3.whatever-it-is has known vulnerabilities; I've heard, on the other forum where I hang out, of a third forum which took the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude, only to learn (the hard way) that it was broke — badly. They were thus forced to upgrade, simply to salvage what they could from the attack; but there was much that was lost forever. If a forum is left running old insecure software, something like that happening is a matter of "when", not "if".
Old 11 May 2017, 08:00 AM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

I like the old, simple interface. Most forums I participate in have deteriorated as they have "upgraded." The old versions were almost always far superior and had a better level of participation. Someday someone must do a study of this. One forum I can remember was fantastic, until one day they decided to "upgrade." Overnight it was ruined. Chased away all the regulars, and they never came back.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 08:07 AM   #4
evilquoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I like the old, simple interface. Most forums I participate in have deteriorated as they have "upgraded."
Much the same argument was made on the other forum, with one member protesting the upgrade (but he stayed anyway). Any upgrade takes getting used to, but it's better to have slight "deterioration" from an upgrade than total and catastrophic deterioration from the old "comfortable" software getting cracked.
Old 11 May 2017, 08:27 AM   #5
TenFour
Master of the @

I've been on the Internet since before most people knew it existed, and some of the old email lists were really great! I understand the need for security, but in general I would guess that most "upgrades" are to try to reduce staff work and also to improve advertising opportunities. Many of the old forums, like I believe this one, were started by an enthusiastic person who was interested in the subject and wanted to discuss with like-minded people. They quickly get ruined when instead the purpose becomes marketing and selling something.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 12:22 PM   #6
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilquoll
Could we please have this forum updated to something more modern, such as XenForo:
Xenforo is nowhere near as nice as this!

(Its basic and unpleasing really -- BLAND!!)

Nothing wrong with VB3.X
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 04:30 PM   #7
evilquoll

^What is wrong with running VB3 is the same thing as what NHS trusts are currently learning (the hard way) is wrong with running old versions of Windows! (Which is why, to run my legacy Windows software, I use WinXP in a VM which has no network connection; but of course I can't run Pegasus Mail that way, there would be no point.)
Old 10 Jun 2017, 02:00 AM   #8
popowich
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
EmailQuestions.com
XenForo takes some getting used to, and there is some admin overhead around having to learn to manage and update a new application. There are templates available to help it look like vB3 for those that prefer that look and feel. I made the change from vB3 to XenForo over a year ago without any long term negative effects. The primary drivers at the time were the mobile compatibility and continuing to receive security updates.
popowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2017, 02:58 PM   #9
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilquoll
^What is wrong with running VB3 is the same thing as what NHS trusts are currently learning (the hard way) is wrong with running old versions of Windows! (Which is why, to run my legacy Windows software, I use WinXP in a VM which has no network connection; but of course I can't run Pegasus Mail that way, there would be no point.)
See your letting MSM misinformation control how you handle XP....

Nothing wrong with XP,nothing wrong with Windows 98se if you have things locked down correctly.........

Dont let others control you.... do the research and see for yourself

Last edited by Bamb0 : 15 Jun 2017 at 08:49 AM.
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote