EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 9 Apr 2004, 10:10 AM   #1
famewolf

Wap Access. Wap Compose. Wap Auto Login

I've seen this requested for several years now...and now I'm another person who would like to use this....got a mobile phone with wap access (did you know all T-mobile phones can do wap for free?) I can check my email using the wap.fastmail.fm hack but of course compose does not work and there is no way that I know of to set the bookmark where it will auto log you in.

Fastmail is a wonderful service..we should not have to create a yahoo account so that we can send mail from our cell phones.
famewolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21 Apr 2004, 10:07 PM   #2
Gankaku

WAP cuts out on Compose?

Quote:
I can check my email using the wap.fastmail.fm hack but of course compose does not work
Is this why I got a server error or internal error message when I clicked compose? I'm using my WAP service for the first time today on my Samsung phone (AT&T service also). I was excited to get in, but got kicked out as soon as I hit Compose. That's why I'm in here digging up all the wap threads that I've never read in the past...

If this is not working, I'd like to see the fixes added to the list of things to do on FM's side. My husband also got the same phone as I did, and he would want to reply to the messages via phone when he's on the road, and compose from there too.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2004, 01:15 AM   #3
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Re: Wap Access. Wap Compose. Wap Auto Login

Quote:
Originally posted by famewolf
I can check my email using the wap.fastmail.fm hack but of course compose does not work and there is no way that I know of to set the bookmark where it will auto log you in.
I find that if I just break the call instead of logging-out, I don't have to login again.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2004, 04:03 AM   #4
famewolf

Sendmail

They could easily fix this..they just don't seem interested because it's not a feature they use. I've even found canned packages they could drop in that would make compose work.
http://software.freshmeat.net/projects/wapsendmail/

about:
@1 WAP Sendmail lets your visitors send emails to any email address from your WAP site. The script checks the validity of the email addresses, and other required fields. The WAP input form is included.

Sample implementation:

wap4.com (you can use this site to compose manually by adding to your bookmarks)
famewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2004, 12:55 AM   #5
ppetru

The WAP compose screen doesn't work for me either (some sort of gateway error, can reproduce if needed). Nokia 3510i, WAP service from MobiFon Romania (Connex). I also randomly get the same errors for other pages too (reading messages / index screens).

I vote for fixing this / improving the WAP system as it's very useful (for me and no doubt for others too .

Petru
ppetru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2004, 06:04 AM   #6
specialK
Essential Contributor

As far as I'm aware from reading threads on this in the past, the fastmail WAP interface isn't actually managed/designed by the team themselves, and given the growing number of phones that are now supporting full web access, they don't see the point in investing time and money in a project that may be redundant fairly soon.

I keep meaning to try out Mail4Me which is a Java based mail client usnig pop3/smpt/IMAP protocalls. see http://mail4me.enhydra.org/
specialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2004, 08:06 PM   #7
roranihon

I vote too for fixing this. I use it a lot with runbox mail account. So i would like to do the same with fm.
roranihon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2004, 02:27 PM   #8
Lee

I would also like to see a WAP solution for Fastmail. Just got a phone that does WAP and accessing email from the phone would be very useful!
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2004, 08:12 PM   #9
davidbstanley
Cornerstone of the Community

Re: Wap Access. Wap Compose. Wap Auto Login

Quote:
Originally posted by famewolf
I've seen this requested for several years now...and now I'm another person who would like to use this....got a mobile phone with wap access (did you know all T-mobile phones can do wap for free?) I can check my email using the wap.fastmail.fm hack but of course compose does not work and there is no way that I know of to set the bookmark where it will auto log you in.

Fastmail is a wonderful service..we should not have to create a yahoo account so that we can send mail from our cell phones.
Have a look at this post for information on how to create a bookmarkable link to log you in straight away. http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...777#post193777
davidbstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2004, 09:56 PM   #10
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

I can't really think of a good reason for doing that though. Simply not logging out of the session acheives the same thing without giving your username/password to anyone who borrows or steals your phone.
Old 4 May 2004, 09:57 PM   #11
davidbstanley

Quote:
Originally posted by DrStrabismus
I can't reall think of a good reason for doing that though. Simply not logging out of the session acheives the same thing without giving your username/password to anyone who borrows or steals your phone.
I did try that using a GPRS connection, but it did not work for me. I just got a session time out message.
Old 4 May 2004, 10:24 PM   #12
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

But if you go to wap.fastmail.fm, login , read your mail, exit the browser (without selecting logout from the webmail) and then later go back in by selecting a wap.fastmail.fm link, what happens?

Does it present you with a login page?
Old 5 May 2004, 03:44 AM   #13
davidbstanley

Quote:
Originally posted by DrStrabismus
But if you go to wap.fastmail.fm, login , read your mail, exit the browser (without selecting logout from the webmail) and then later go back in by selecting a wap.fastmail.fm link, what happens?

Does it present you with a login page?
I have just tried it again and it simes to work as you describe. I am not sure what has changed.

On the compose screen issue that everyone has, it also does not work for me on my T68i. However, it does work in the Opera wap browser.