EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 7 Sep 2004, 02:23 AM   #1
jolycu

Not the regular Joe Job

I've been being joe-jobbed for the last month or so, but it's a little different than usual. All the emails being returned have a subject line like "To xxxxxx's Shop Customers!" where xxxxxx is a different name each time. They all have a link to a website with a .info address, although the part before the .info may be different. The content is the same for each one, something about an updated software catalogue. Each email is signed with a first and last name, but each is different. The original emails show the name and then my email address as the reply to address, such as John Doe <xxxxx @myfastmail.com>.

I think it's one person doing this. There seem to be two websites these emails link to, both OEM software related. I think they have an affiliate program and one of their affiliate's is using my email address. The links are in the form of http:/ /xxxx.infostech.info/index.php?s=4241 (or php?s=3D4241) where the xxxx is a different word each time, or www. xxxxoem.info/?xxxxxxx, where the xxxxxxxx is a different word each time. Do you think it would do any good to contact these websites and tell them what's going on?

Most of the returned mail notices go to my junk folder, but is there some way to have them deleted before I even see them? I'm not being bombarded by them or anything, maybe 6-12 a day, but it is aggravating.
jolycu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Sep 2004, 02:37 AM   #2
David
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Not the regular Joe Job

Quote:
Originally posted by jolycu

I think it's one person doing this. There seem to be two websites these emails link to, both OEM software related. I think they have an affiliate program and one of their affiliate's is using my email address.
If the company seems reputable and sells supplies online, it might be an idea to contact them, and let them know that one of their affiliates is Joe Jobbing you... Let them know the affiliate link address...

If they refuse to take action (or ignore you) you could contact the financial company that handle their online sales (there will be a link onsite) And tell them that you will report them for doing business with a company that promotes spamming (unless the Joe Job attack stops)
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Sep 2004, 06:06 AM   #3
jolycu

I don't know how reputable they are--they are shipping "OEM" software from Europe! It's probably pirated software. About 2/3 of it is associated with a site registered by a guy in France who has a yahoo email address. The other 1/3 comes from a site registered from New York and also with a yahoo address for contact.
Old 7 Sep 2004, 06:18 AM   #4
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by jolycu
I don't know how reputable they are--they are shipping "OEM" software from Europe! It's probably pirated software.
Okay jolycu. Best ignore my previous advice.
Old 7 Sep 2004, 06:44 AM   #5
fmnewbee
Master of the @

would a functional SPF stop these Joe Jobs then?

As it doesn't originate from your box then when it arrives in your mailserver it would go to bit bucket or null or whattheyu name it. You would never see it. And even better if the mailserver that send it had spf it woudl never send it out.

So is SPF your solution? To ask it aplied all over the world.
fmnewbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Sep 2004, 07:40 AM   #6
jolycu

Sorry fmnewbee, but I don't know what SPF is.
Old 7 Sep 2004, 10:32 AM   #7
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Re: would a functional SPF stop these Joe Jobs then?

Quote:
Originally posted by fmnewbee
So is SPF your solution? To ask it aplied all over the world.
I think I've been getting these as well.

They're not REAL bounces though, they're just made to look like bounces, so SPF would be no help here.

Just another spammer trick to make you try and look a little longer at the email

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Sep 2004, 11:13 AM   #8
David
Ultimate Contributor

SAV

What about "Sender Address Verification" Rob? I have used the strategy very successfully (with Pobox) to bounce spam at the smtp level. Is this technique part of the SPF protocol? Could Fastmail implement this, to stop spam from phony email addresses?
Old 18 Sep 2004, 03:35 AM   #9
memac

Yeah, I've been getting these too. It's at the point where I'm seriously considering changing my user name just to stop the emails. That's what I get for having a 3-character user name, I guess.
memac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2004, 06:51 AM   #10
fmnewbee
Master of the @

I don't know what SPF is.

jolycu

Sorry fmnewbee, but I don't know what SPF is.

Yes I should have given the whole name and maybe a short explanation but I asked those who know more than me and they know what it is. I did know at that time but have forgotten now. Sorry.

I guess it is one of many suggestions on how to curb or stop spam.

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...threadid=26878

MSN? due to software patent seem to loose and SPF win now cause it would cost to much to use the MSN suggested solution? read at thread link

Here users point out that it would not help these phony addys used by spammers.

and ask if another system like SAV would help.

Soo folks...; What is these SPF and SAV then.?

"Sender Address Verification" seems to be about verification at the smtp level that the sender of the email is me and not somebody who kidnapped anothers computer from and predtendign to be me.

My smtp knowing what to expect from my accounts.

would not such a system stop us from changing the From:

No more aliases? jolycu and me are eager listener in on your expert knowledge here

trew

Last edited by fmnewbee : 18 Sep 2004 at 06:56 AM.
fmnewbee is offline   Reply With Quote