EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 6 Jul 2017, 07:36 PM   #1
crE

Question Unsubscribe links in emails for happy recipients

Hi all

This is a little odd one.

I'm going to be using Mailgun via the API to send emails... this is how its going to work.

A user on a recruitment website is going to fill in a form with their details, when the user submits the form it needs to send an email to the company that they're applying to.

I'm happy with this side of it, but I know you need to include unsubscribe links.

The companies that receive these emails may be using many different email providers and I don't want them missing emails that have been put in the junk or spam folders.

There isn't really a need for an "unsubscribe" link as these companies have signed up with the recruitment agency to receive these job applications.

Question is - do I need an unsubscribe link? If so - what does it need to be seen to do?

Thanks for reading
crE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Jul 2017, 08:13 PM   #2
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Welome to the EMD Forum. I think an unsubscribe link is not needed in this case. If a company does not wish to receive emails notifying them that somebody has filled out an application form, I believe that company should just 'unsubscribe' (not use) that recruitment agency anymore. It ultimately depends on the recruitment agencys' TOS though I guess. Does the agency have more than one way of notifying a company? Do they allow a company to choose how to be notified?

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jul 2017, 05:25 AM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

Far, far better to include a legitimate unsubscribe link than to get reported as spam, hurting your sender reputation, even if technically one isn't required by your local laws--in many places an unsubscribe link is a legal requirement. In any case, people will stop your emails from getting to them if they don't want to receive them any more, and the easier you make it for them the more likely they will just depart and not report you by clicking spam, or worse.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jul 2017, 05:40 AM   #4
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

I agree. I don't know what I was thinking this morning. I should know that I shouldn't post until I'm at least partway into my second cup of coffee. An unsubscribe link should be included in ANY mailing list type of email, whether it's legally required or not.

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jul 2017, 06:04 AM   #5
TenFour
Master of the @

Just today I was cursing (silently) when I was trying to unsubscribe from some annoying business mailing lists. No doubt my company was legitimately added to the lists for some reason, but when I went to the bottom of the emails I couldn't find any easy way to unsubscribe. I was tempted to just block them as spam at that point. I know they are legitimate companies, but they really should provide an easy means of unsubscribing--and that does not mean sending someone to a "manage your email preferences" page where you have to go through a lot of hoops to actually unsubscribe. One click unsubscribe. Think about it too--do you really want to waste your email efforts sending messages to people who don't want them?
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote