EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 19 Feb 2022, 02:55 AM   #1
TenFour
Master of the @

Shortwave for Gmail

If you miss Google's Inbox experience you can now try out Shortwave. There's a free tier, but to be able to search past 90 days you need to pay $9 per month, which seems pricey for nothing but a webmail app.

https://www.shortwave.com/blog/introducing-shortwave/

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022...ortwave-email/
TenFour is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 19 Feb 2022, 03:22 PM   #2
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

I clicked thinking shortwave as in radio. I was a ham operator many years ago.

I don't like the way Gmail does it now.

I'm not fond of any email program organizing my emails for me.

That is my job.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2022, 07:23 PM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
I'm not fond of any email program organizing my emails for me.

That is my job
I agree! But, you can turn all that stuff off in regular Gmail. My inbox is just chronological order with no conversation view or anything like that. No tabs for promotions and such. I do have it set up so that if I star a message it pins to the top of the list. I find that any automatic sorting system inevitably misfiles some things and then you miss important messages, or spend a lot of time searching for them.
Old 20 Feb 2022, 08:37 AM   #4
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Oof, lot of money for an overlay of Gmail (free version only synchronize 90 days of email).
Oh, and I can’t find a delete button.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2022, 02:30 PM   #5
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I agree! But, you can turn all that stuff off in regular Gmail. My inbox is just chronological order with no conversation view or anything like that. No tabs for promotions and such. I do have it set up so that if I star a message it pins to the top of the list. I find that any automatic sorting system inevitably misfiles some things and then you miss important messages, or spend a lot of time searching for them.
I've also turned off conversation view, turned off all smart stuff. I don't use the web interface much. I have an IMAP account setup in Claws Mail for one Gmail account (I have two, the other is POP3). An annoying thing for the IMAP account is it shows this in the account:
Code:
├── INBOX (0/36)
├── Sent (0/23)
├── Drafts
├── Queue
├── Trash
└── [Gmail]
    ├── All Mail (0/83)
    ├── Drafts
    ├── Important (0/42)
    ├── Sent Mail (0/3)
    ├── Spam
    ├── Starred
    └── Trash (0/4)
Note the numbers differences, I have Important and Starred hidden in the Web interface. The most annoying part is when new mail comes in it goes in INBOX, All Mail and Important all simultaneously. If I read the one in INBOX, the other two are still marked as unread. If I delete the email form one of the folders, it stays in the other two. If I force a check on the account, new emails show up in to All Mail and Important, but not in INBOX until I select the INBOX folder, then they show up.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2022, 07:20 PM   #6
TenFour
Master of the @

I've tried a bunch of times to sync other email clients to Gmail using IMAP and there have always been problems. Haven't tried in awhile, but Outlook.com would not sync Gmail's All Mail for some reason. Thunderbird seems to work pretty well, but I have so many messages in Sent and All Mail I can't be 100% certain. With the small number of emails in your example what I would do is just let everything flow into Gmail's Inbox and leave them there--don't apply any labels automatically. Then use Claws to put stuff into folders, etc. Bottom line, is if you use Gmail it is best to use the regular Gmail webmail and dedicated Gmail apps on your phone. Another option is to forward your Gmail to another email client. Gmail forwarding is very reliable.
Old 21 Feb 2022, 06:19 AM   #7
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
[..]Bottom line, is if you use Gmail it is best to use the regular Gmail webmail and dedicated Gmail apps on your phone. Another option is to forward your Gmail to another email client. Gmail forwarding is very reliable.
If you’re on Apple try Mimestream.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote