EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 27 Dec 2023, 08:26 AM   #1
newhampshire

What I want for XMAS

Dear Fastmail,

Think you can add these 3 settings to options?

1. Warn you when you send an email with "No Subject" [OFF / ON]

2. Warn you when you send an email with "No Body" [OFF / ON]

3. Warn you when you mention "attachment" in the Body of an email, but have no Attachment included [OFF / ON]

...or can a forum user point me to a Javascript browser plug in that can do this? I have to answer YES to the No Subject/No Body several times a day.

thank you!
newhampshire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Dec 2023, 07:05 PM   #2
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

How about adding the ability to add short text notes to stored email messages (and being able to search for it)? It would allow me to get rid of several dozens folders.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Dec 2023, 10:16 PM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

Why are you sending emails with no subject or no body? What's the point?
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Dec 2023, 10:31 PM   #4
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

I send myself quite often emails with no body as reminders (often I schedule them to be sent when I will need the reminder).
Old 27 Dec 2023, 11:37 PM   #5
TenFour
Master of the @

You could just add a tiny body or subject.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2023, 12:46 AM   #6
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
You could just add a tiny body or subject.
That's more work than just clicking "OK" to send without one.

Now that we're counting clicks, skipping "choose date and time..." in the snooze menu and going directly to the next step would save me a lot of clicks. None of the default options there actually work for me, and there's no way to customize them.
Old 28 Dec 2023, 08:41 AM   #7
newhampshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
How about adding the ability to add short text notes to stored email messages (and being able to search for it)? It would allow me to get rid of several dozens folders.
This is an awesome idea. This type of meta-data they started for some data (I think the purpose of an alias).

but if we can't get them to put my original 3 requests in settings, you know, I see they saying not "not part of IMAP standard".
Old 28 Dec 2023, 08:43 AM   #8
newhampshire

Quote:
I send myself quite often emails with no body as reminders (often I schedule them to be sent when I will need the reminder).
Yup! I send emails to myself when I get a sudden idea. not worried about formatting the email properly; just worried about getting the idea down before I forget it.
Old 28 Dec 2023, 02:49 PM   #9
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhampshire View Post
Yup! I send emails to myself when I get a sudden idea. not worried about formatting the email properly; just worried about getting the idea down before I forget it.
For that situation, I sometimes create a draft reply (removing recipients to avoid accidents). That keeps the context, and is easy to search. Every few months, I go through my drafts folder to see what I forgot to follow up on, and to remove those no longer needed.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2023, 03:48 AM   #10
pjroutledge

Quote:
Zoho mail has this. Associated notes subsequently appear under 'Notes' (a separate Zoho 'application') with a link back to the email.
It's something I'd like to see Fastmail offer too.
pjroutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2023, 04:10 AM   #11
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroutledge View Post
.... Associated notes subsequently appear under 'Notes' (a separate Zoho 'application') with a link back to the email.
I don't want a note with a link to an email. The email should lead to the note (and searching email for the text in the note should include that message in the search results, with all other messages containing that text, except if the search is limited to text in attached notes).
A link (URL) to a particular mail that can be used within Fastmail's web interface (and can be included in a note, or saved as a bookmark in the web browser) can be useful. It can be a search for the message-Id.
Actually a link to a particular message can have an even better implementation: If the particular message is in the FastMail user's account it would show the message in the web interface. If used by someone that is not logged in to Fastmail it would show the message in a limited view screen that shows only the particular message (email sharing URL, somewhat like a file sharing URL used by various file storage providers).
Old 30 Dec 2023, 05:40 AM   #12
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour
Why are you sending emails with no subject or no body? What's the point?
Indeed..... I dont think mine will send a blank message
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2023, 09:05 AM   #13
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Hey Email has this.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote