EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 15 Jul 2003, 09:17 PM   #61
kurianja
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Thanks Doc. I have edited my post to reflect this.

Kurian.
kurianja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2003, 03:42 AM   #62
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

I'm still scratching my head over the unanswered questions, unsure what to do, and not prepared to risk losing other people's mail finding out.

Last edited by elvey : 16 Jul 2003 at 04:03 AM.
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2003, 04:30 AM   #63
o0o
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by elvey
I'm still scratching my head over the unanswered questions
Ditto.
o0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2003, 07:53 AM   #64
Kyle Babich
Cornerstone of the Community

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed but if I wanted x@my.domain to go to the folder xparent.x could I set the alias up as *@my.domain targets user+xparent.*@sent.com?
Kyle Babich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2003, 05:22 PM   #65
norbs
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyle Babich
I'm not sure if this has already been discussed but if I wanted x@my.domain to go to the folder xparent.x could I set the alias up as *@my.domain targets user+xparent.*@sent.com?
I believe that it does work... "st63z" (bitequator) confirmed that it does, earlier in this monster thread.

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...194#post103194

Andy

Last edited by norbs : 16 Jul 2003 at 05:30 PM.
norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2003, 05:26 PM   #66
bitequator
The "e" in e-mail

Incidentally, stop quoting my old handle I don't use "st63z" anymore
bitequator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2003, 05:31 PM   #67
norbs
Essential Contributor

apologies - I have editted my post. But it'd be slightly confusing if i quoted a totally different name and people new to the forum spent all day searching for the post!
Old 16 Jul 2003, 05:34 PM   #68
bitequator
The "e" in e-mail

Yeah I was just kidding you It don't bother me none, I reckon...
bitequator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2003, 05:58 PM   #69
norbs
Essential Contributor

do you think we need a wiki page for Poweralias-ing as part of the PowerUsers bit. There is stacks of really useful stuff in this and a few other threads that would be nice to combine into a nice wiki page...

[edit: just noticed that some of these issues have been explained in the FAQ:
http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/faqparts...#EmailDelivery

didn't realised that it had been updated]

Last edited by norbs : 16 Jul 2003 at 10:18 PM.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 05:02 AM   #70
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Adding a link to that new FAQ entry would be useful.

Too bad the FM FAQ doesn't have a change log or timestamped entries like some usenet faqs.
Old 17 Jul 2003, 07:06 AM   #71
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Re: Re: Please help clarify.

Quote:
Originally posted by kurianja

If you are using the envelope test for your virtual domain, then I think that explains why that rule 'sometimes doesn't work'. See the Doc's post a while back in this thread. The same problem can occur if someone sends you a mail at foldername@myusername.f-m.fm.

Again, this solution you have come up with now may not work always, if your target address for your domain uses the +* format, and if you want to use the folder filing feature.

Kurian.
I Still don't understand what you meant here, in either paragraph. What are you saying won't work? I'm at a stanstill. I just don't know if you're saying there are showstoppers, or not!!!
Old 17 Jul 2003, 11:15 AM   #72
sjk
Master of the @

Quote:
Too bad the FM FAQ doesn't have a change log or timestamped entries like some usenet faqs.
Yes, that would be excellent. Hope you have success persuading FM to at least add "last updated" timestamps to more of their web pages.

Why some of these sorts of minor, beneficial, and not particularly time-consuming changes remain unimplemented is still a mystery to me. And a simple "good/bad idea" feedback barometer and status indicator for suggestions is missing. FM staff is perpetually busy, but certain changes wouldn't take more time than, say, making repetitious forum explanations about them. Oh well.
sjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jul 2003, 06:28 PM   #73
norbs
Essential Contributor

The fastmail faq uses atomz to search its pages. I am not familiar with the atomz service, but i have found freefind to be excellent as it has a number of really handy functions that could be useful here. For instance:does anyone know whether atomz offer a similar functionality... Just a thought.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 09:22 AM   #74
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Re: Re: Re: Please help clarify.

Quote:
I Still don't understand what you meant here, in either paragraph. What are you saying won't work? I'm at a stanstill. I just don't know if you're saying there are showstoppers, or not!!!
Kurian and I emailed privately, and I think I've resolved much of the confusion (I mean he resolved much of my confusion; thank you again for helping with this tough problem!). Also, a FAQ entry is in the works, once he understands this all himself.
Basically, here's the cause of much of the confusion:
(Let's assume email to *@example.com targets joeuser+example.*@fastmail.fm, and joeuser@sent.com is a user or alias)
Even though the envelope on a message to/bcc a wildcard mydomain alias (e.g. joeuser@example.com) should be example.joeuser@fastmail.fm, the test
if envelope :all :is "To" "example.joeuser@fastmail.fm" doesn't work. The test
if envelope :localpart :is "To" "example.joeuser" DOES work though.

It can be found in the envelope, but it's not exactly what's in the envelope.

What happens to email to company@joeuser.example.com: not sure, but I think, it's explained above.

Anyone still confused?

As for the FAQ and atomz, I think they do have advanced features like that.

Last edited by elvey : 18 Jul 2003 at 09:28 AM.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 01:25 PM   #75
Digitalant

Ok I got it "slightly" down.

I set up my own domain catchall (called OD.com for this thread) with Fastmail.

I have *@OD.com targeting myfmusername+*@fastmail.fm. Perfect for when i visit a new site and sign up as "newsite@OD.com" right? but....

<tick tock- 1 hour passed-alias kicks in>

So this works great when i have a single folder called "personal" that i want to directly file. I can send an email to personal@OD.com and it will go straight into my personal folder. Yay!

My question is this though. If i have a SUBfolder under personal (called personal.home) how can i send an email directly into that folder. Ultimately i would like to send email that is addressed to home@OD.com and have that go directly to my personal.home folder-ya know?

Is this possible at all or do I have to have multiple folders with any of the aliases that i create?

Thanks!
Digitalant is offline   Reply With Quote