EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

View Poll Results: Which primary email client do you use?
Outlook 2002 or earlier 0 0%
Outlook 2003 4 20.00%
Thunderbird 5 25.00%
Eudora 0 0%
Web based only 6 30.00%
Some other one you have never hear of 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24 Mar 2005, 04:31 AM   #16
anj
Master of the @

Hi, I may have a suggestion or two for you but the easiest thing seems to be to just use Outlook at work, since you prefer its interface. Can that be done?
anj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2005, 10:46 AM   #17
planetkarl

Quote:
Originally posted by anj
Hi, I may have a suggestion or two for you but the easiest thing seems to be to just use Outlook at work, since you prefer its interface. Can that be done?
The point was to have everything avaliable at work and at home. I used to just use one laptop which made it easy, but it was too cumbersome to lug around all the time.

Thanks.
planetkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2005, 12:46 PM   #18
Ernie@

Representative of:
Mailarge.com
Quote:
Originally posted by planetkarl
Maybe I should clarify exactly what I am looking for.

I would like to have my email, contacts and calendar both at work and at home.
I would like to be able to access my email online from anywhere.

My calendar and contacts on my PDA is good enough for mobility.

Thanks again guys for all your help... I appreciate your time
I would use webmail, the best of both worlds!

Ernie
Ernie@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2005, 09:32 AM   #19
Shelded

Arrow I accept Paypal funds

Quote:
Maybe someone could suggest an free email forwarding service that I could use simply to move my POP mail into my IMAP account?

That would at least simplify things a bit for me...
I've typed below before seeing you above have already thought of this in general.

My solution is that you use a good forwarding POP or IMAP account that can pull from your other POP account. If your monthly mail volumes are not gigantic you can even use the free Fastmail account for this. It should have a rule in it to forward everything it gets to your IMAP account. You can use Thunderbird to access the IMAP account at home and office.

Your current POP ==> pulled to Fastmail guest ==> pushed to Your IMAP

If you use the Fastmail guest account you would want to be aware the POP frequency is not instantaneous.

I think Outlook doesn't do IMAP very well, depending upon the version. So that gives the impression that IMAP is annoyingly slow. For example using Outlook Express with IMAP mail works better excluding the fact that sent mail goes up and then back on your connection to move to the sent folder.

This does not much to improve your contact synchro needs, except perhaps this: The Fastmail accounts will import and export justabout any address format and maybe you can work that out.

I would leave your PDA mail reading to its usual synch process with Thunderbird.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2005, 12:06 PM   #20
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Re: I accept Paypal funds

Quote:
Originally posted by Shelded
If your monthly mail volumes are not gigantic you can even use the free Fastmail account for this. It should have a rule in it to forward everything it gets to your IMAP account. You can use Thunderbird to access the IMAP account at home and office.
Unfortunately, according to the fastmail "plan" comparison chart, a free fastmail account doesn't have forwarding available (or much else as far as I can tell). So it would have to be at least a so-called Member account.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2005, 01:09 PM   #21
seb

Quote:
Maybe someone could suggest an free email forwarding service that I could use simply to move my POP mail into my IMAP account?

That would at least simplify things a bit for me...
I had a similar problem before, and solved it by leaving a copy of the emails on my POP server for one week (I used this setting in Outlook Express at work, and "leave a copy" from home). When the messages are more than a week old, they are automatically deleted from the server when you check your mail and you have a local copy both at work and at home, as long as you have checked your messages from home and work at least once within that period of time. Of course, they are not merged into your IMAP account, but it works...

If this is what you're looking for, bluebottle offers free POP retrieval (up to 3 accounts) and IMAP access, and it's FREE.
I've never tried their service, so I can't recommend it though...

EDIT: apparently, bluebottle does not offer POP retrieval anymore...
seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2005, 01:16 PM   #22
yashsr
Essential Contributor

Bluebottle is a great service, but it had some reliability services which will be completely sorted by 15thApril if Im not wrong.

Its free and completely ad-free with POP3,IMAP,SMTP etc. But it is in its test period and thats why it offers so much for fre. Once it releases its premium plan(s), the free paln will definately be degraded I guess.

Heres the Bluebottle Forum
yashsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2005, 01:23 PM   #23
Shelded

Re: Re: I accept Paypal funds

Quote:
Originally posted by xmailer
Unfortunately, according to the fastmail "plan" comparison chart, a free fastmail account doesn't have forwarding available (or much else as far as I can tell). So it would have to be at least a so-called Member account.
Thanks, that is what the chart says. I verified the POP worked but not the rule. The Member account allows this. I have a feeling the cost for a Member account is not a showstopper in this situation.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote