EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 4 May 2004, 03:00 AM   #1
Bob Campbell

Retrieving IMAP subfolders

question: how to automatically update sub-folders?

I just began using IMAP to work with my new Fastmail account, and I'm still learning the details. So far so good, but there is one issue that bugs me.

I have created a nested set of subfolders in my inbox for list mail, and created mail rules on the Fastmail site to sort incoming mail. When I check mail with the client it appears to be checking each folder, but in fact I am not getting the subfolder messages retrieved, only the root inbox.

It seems I have to refresh every sub-folder individually by selecting it in the client to get it updated. With about 10 sub-folders, this is a pretty annoying thing to have to do, and I find it hard to believe anyone would agree to having to do this. I've tried this with multiple clients, and they all seem to behave the same.

Is this just the way it is, or am I missing something here?

thanks,
Bob C.
Bob Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4 May 2004, 03:39 AM   #2
Sherry

Hi Bob Campbell.
It would help to know which email client you're using. I know that Outlook Express doesn't work well with SubFolders made right in the Inbox. Some other clients can handle that. Knowing which client you use will probably get you a response from others using the same one.

Also, did you put inbox or INBOX or INBOX. for the Root Folder Path. (you would use one of the above depending on the client you're using)

Welcome to the Forums

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2004, 06:11 AM   #3
Bob Campbell

synchronization settings

thanks Sherry,

I've been using Outlook Express and Outlook, and now am also giving a few other clients a try including Thunderbird, which I'm liking.

Thanks to a hint from another member, I learned that I need to treak the Synchronization settings in OE on a per folder basis, I had only done that at the Inbox level. fwiw - I had my root folder path set to 'INBOX' .

this is my first post, but I've been benefitting greatly from much reading on the forums recently and have made the plunge to IMAP and discovered many great resources thanks to all the participants here.

thanks all!
Bob
Old 4 May 2004, 07:08 AM   #4
Sherry

Re: synchronization settings

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Campbell
Thanks to a hint from another member, I learned that I need to treak the Synchronization settings in OE on a per folder basis, I had only done that at the Inbox level. fwiw - I had my root folder path set to 'INBOX' .
You might want to know (incase you haven't read it yet) that OE logs in and out for each folder so if you wind up with "lots" of folders that check for email "often", that could cause a problem. I don't think most other clients do that.

Sounds like you're getting things working good for you. Glad to hear it.

Sherry
Old 4 May 2004, 08:47 AM   #5
Bob Campbell

thanks for mentioning that OE quirk! More reason to consider a different client.

btw - with permission, here is the 'hint' Daniel S so helpfully provided me, it seemed worth posting and he agreed.

thanks Sherry and Daniel !
- Bob

-------------------------------------------------

Here are instructions for some clients:

Thunderbird: Tools, Account Settings, FM, Offline & Disk Space, Select Folders for Offline Use (you may need to install the Offline Extension - Tools, Options, Extensions, Get New Extensions).

Outlook Express: Click on the FM Tree Root, select a folder, click on Synchornization Settings and select New Messages, Headers Only or All Messages. The previously greyed-out checkbox should now be filled and in bold.

Outlook: Tools, Send/Receive Groups (Ctrl-Alt-S), choose a group, choose FM account, put a checkmark for the folders you want available offline.

-------------------------------------------------
Old 4 May 2004, 09:56 PM   #6
Daniel S

Re: Re: synchronization settings

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry
You might want to know (incase you haven't read it yet) that OE logs in and out for each folder so if you wind up with "lots" of folders that check for email "often", that could cause a problem. I don't think most other clients do that.

Sounds like you're getting things working good for you. Glad to hear it.

Sherry
The problem is that each login-logout counts towards the hourly login limit, and your account may get locked or disabled if you check mail too often.

This is the reason I stopped checking mail with OE (using Tb)...as to composing, I use OE, Tb and FM

Does Outlook have this problem?
Old 5 May 2004, 02:24 AM   #7
Sherry

Re: Re: Re: synchronization settings

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel S
Does Outlook have this problem?
No, I don't believe it does. I also don't remember reading any other client that does. (doesn't mean there isn't, just that I haven't read about any )

Sherry