EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 5 Jan 2014, 02:19 AM   #1
Just Bill

Yahoo Premium Mail (Ad Free) is replacing Yahoo Mail Plus

Yahoo's "Ad-Free Mai"l doubles in price, while Yahoo adds some of the features previously available only to Plus subscribers to standard Yahoo mail.

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=...US&id=SLN15803
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Jan 2014, 02:13 PM   #2
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I don't see any important difference between the discontinued Yahoo! Mail Plus and the new Premium Mail -- except more than doubling the price!
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jan 2014, 03:50 PM   #3
aynrandgirl

Unclear what Yahoo's value proposition is. I could get a Pobox Mailstore or Runbox Medium account for that. Then again, the average Yahoo user probably hasn't heard of either.
aynrandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jan 2014, 12:32 AM   #4
William9
The "e" in e-mail

What was the duration of Yahoo!'s recent outage? $50 per year for no ads and a service with only moderate functionality seems too much in my opinion. I didn't see any mention of whether or not they provide customer support for their Premium account,
Old 6 Jan 2014, 01:14 AM   #5
RFK
Essential Contributor

1. AdBlock completely blocks Yahoo ads on Yahoo! Mail.
2. If you use emal client (POP/IMAP/SMTP of Yahoo Mail now free), you do not see ads.

There is no single reason to pay $50 for Yahoo Mail unless you want to donate $50 do Yahoo.
RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jan 2014, 07:11 AM   #6
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Agree. My opinion is that there is no reason to pay $50 for this service which has mediocre features and reliability, questionable security, and ill-defined customer service. Yahoo! (including the free version) does have a nice mobile email app, however
Old 6 Jan 2014, 12:36 PM   #7
Bamb0
Master of the @

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by William9
I don't see any important difference between the discontinued Yahoo! Mail Plus and the new Premium Mail -- except more than doubling the price!
Yahoo (like everything else) keeps getting worse and worse while they keep jacking the price up!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jan 2014, 07:39 PM   #8
B4its2L8
Master of the @

And this doesn't help.
B4its2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jan 2014, 10:55 PM   #9
hans2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
Yahoo's "Ad-Free Mai"l doubles in price, while Yahoo adds some of the features previously available only to Plus subscribers to standard Yahoo mail.

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=...US&id=SLN15803
Here's what's funny: At the link you referenced, it says Disposable Address is now a feature of free email. But is it? I recently discontinued my paid account. Now, in the free version (on neo-Classic), when I go to configure Disposable Addresses on the Options page, it says:

"Upgrade to Mail Plus to get this feature"

So I can't add or delete any disposable addresses. The good news is that I can still receive mail on all of the disposable addresses that were still configured when I stopped the paid service (which is all I really need them to do, as I'm sending all my mail from a different service now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFK View Post
1. AdBlock completely blocks Yahoo ads on Yahoo! Mail.
Does AdBlock actually block the one-line ads that are positioned at the top of the message list (in the Inbox or any folder), the ones that are designed to look like they are actually a message in the list (in order to get you to click on them)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
Yahoo (like everything else) keeps getting worse and worse while they keep jacking the price up!
That's why I ended my paid subscription, even though they would have "grandfathered" me into the new paid service at the old price. I've posted about various Yahoo Mail problems on this site before, and I've taken my business (i.e., dollars) elsewhere. Yahoo even helped remind me why I left today, by being excessively slow while trying to duplicate the above-mentioned error message (while accessing any other site, like my current email provider, was just as fast as normal).

For more info on weird/funny stuff going on at Yahoo, see my other post today ("Yahoo emits fake IE error page").
hans2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jan 2014, 09:06 AM   #10
popowich
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
EmailQuestions.com
There are a couple more benefits to the new ad free yahoo mail including:
  • No account expiration
  • Theoretically, better support
Also, existing Yahoo Mail Plus members keep their original yearly rate, they don't need to pay the $50.
popowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jan 2014, 09:49 AM   #11
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by popowich View Post
There are a couple more benefits to the new ad free yahoo mail including:
  • No account expiration
  • Theoretically, better support
"No account expiration" is not really a significant benefit in my opinion. Here's why: I assume that no expiration is dependent on the customer paying his/he yearly fee. Therefore, it's really only extending the expiration from a few months to a year. Anyway, why would you be paying for the account if you are not logging in occasionally?

Regarding "theoretically, better support", I didn't see anything in the announcement about what level of support comes with the Yahoo! PremiumMail. Is it better than the YAHOO! Mail Plus paid account that they are canceling?
Old 7 Jan 2014, 10:15 AM   #12
popowich
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
EmailQuestions.com
The support comment was related to Plus/AdFree vs. free accounts.

POP logins do not count as a webmail login that resets your login activity.

It's my understanding if you don't login to Yahoo Mail (pop/imap.smtp don't count) you can get expired after 1 year of inactivity.

Less likely, but I suppose some people want to keep their old Yahoo address forwarding to something else forever too.

Maybe business users that started as free Yahoo accounts?
popowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jan 2014, 04:18 AM   #13
RFK
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by popowich View Post

POP logins do not count as a webmail login that resets your login activity.

It's my understanding if you don't login to Yahoo Mail (pop/imap.smtp don't count) you can get expired after 1 year of inactivity.
I think it counts as login. At least, I have one account where I pop message via POP3 many years without web login (I enabled POP by setting profile to Asia when this dirty trick was available).
RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jan 2014, 06:34 AM   #14
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans2010 View Post
Here's what's funny: At the link you referenced, it says Disposable Address is now a feature of free email. But is it? I recently discontinued my paid account. Now, in the free version (on neo-Classic), when I go to configure Disposable Addresses on the Options page, it says:

"Upgrade to Mail Plus to get this feature"

So I can't add or delete any disposable addresses. The good news is that I can still receive mail on all of the disposable addresses that were still configured when I stopped the paid service (which is all I really need them to do, as I'm sending all my mail from a different service now) ...
I have disposable email addresses under Settings --> Security. I established them when I had a paid account, then they disappeared when I degraded to a free account, now they are back again with Yahoo!'s announcement late last year that it was adding features to free accounts.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 08:32 PM   #15
hans2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
I have disposable email addresses under Settings --> Security. I established them when I had a paid account, then they disappeared when I degraded to a free account, now they are back again with Yahoo!'s announcement late last year that it was adding features to free accounts.
That's interesting. I don't see a "Settings" selector in Neo Basic. I guess you are using Neo Full Featured. Perhaps they just forgot to update the Options page in Basic. Fine with me, I only need Yahoo to keep receiving mail on what I now consider to be my "legacy" addresses... so, no big deal (until they find a way to mess that up! haha).
hans2010 is offline   Reply With Quote