EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 25 Sep 2022, 02:04 AM   #31
truemagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob View Post
Presumably, they have to keep track of them to prevent accidental reuse of a deleted address.
This, I think is the main logic behind the decision. But still find it unacceptable that I have something that feels "left behind" and "uncleaned" when it comes to non-deletable masked email address. Especially when it's using my own domain, why should I care if FM will reuse the same name (coincidentally) in the future?

At the moment I have a few deleted masked emails which were used for testing out the feature, and to think they will forever be kept in my settings is just not perfect, maybe I'm a perfectionist (or obsessed of total control of things lol)
truemagic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2022, 04:57 AM   #32
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by truemagic View Post
Especially when it's using my own domain, why should I care if FM will reuse the same name (coincidentally) in the future?
If you deleted an address because it was receiving a lot spam and viruses, you wouldn't want it to reuse it.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Dec 2022, 04:29 AM   #33
TheJapanese

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
For some reason FM keeps email addresses active forever it seems. I was an early ….
Same with Telephone Numbers. They will keep them forever and have them connected to your account.

Don‘t if it‘s good or not - but they‘re doing it this way.
TheJapanese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Dec 2022, 08:02 PM   #34
Bamb0
Master of the @

Hmm they didnt used to...... If ya didnt check in every 2 or 3 months they closed the acct.....

I dunno......
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jan 2023, 09:07 AM   #35
unbob

Bogus invalid email addresses

I've had numerous problems with the embedded "dot" email address for many years when trying to register on a web site or forum - where the entered email address was rejected as being "invalid".

As others here have mentioned, the "dot" is indeed totally legit according to published standards.

The only reason this problem exists is due to the ignorance and stupidity of some web site developers.

Another example of this stupidity is rejecting an email address because "spam" is part of the domain name - specifically "spamgourmet.com" which is a long-established anti-spam email service.

Sad and frustrating that such stupidity is allowed to exist on the internet.
unbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2023, 04:45 AM   #36
unbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewal View Post
Any ideas of being able to create a masked email address without the period "."?
Here's one: https://wirelessjoint.com/ucp.php?mode=register

This error message when entering email address with embedded "." : "Please note that you will need to enter a valid email address before your account is activated"
unbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2023, 12:17 AM   #37
hans2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbob View Post
The only reason this problem exists is due to the ignorance and stupidity of some web site developers.
Sadly, the above seems to be the answer to the question.

I wish developers were getting smarter rather than the other way around. Perhaps the issue is societal trends, but I suppose that's a bigger issue than we can deal with in our little forum here.
hans2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Mar 2023, 05:37 AM   #38
an3

Smile

I give a unique email to every business I work with; i.e. randomstore.folder@username.domain.com. Works super well, and it has saved me from many breaches. There's just one place (Cash App) that doesn't like two periods after the @ symbol, and I was able to use masked email for them. Works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misc View Post
Hi ewal,
I think that’s not possible at the moment. Just out of curiosity, can you tell an example site that is rejecting such an email address? I’ve not seen this so far anywhere, and a dot is quite common in email addresses, isn’t it? My company address for instance is firstname.lastname@company.

Cheers,
Michael
an3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Mar 2023, 05:37 AM   #39
an3

Holy cow, I've been a member for 20 years.
an3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Mar 2023, 05:53 AM   #40
Bamb0
Master of the @

Yes 20 years is a good length!!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Mar 2023, 07:30 AM   #41
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by an3 View Post
Holy cow, I've been a member for 20 years.
You have me beat by one year. But my post count is much greater!

In most cases I also use a unique subdomain address to each business. I usually use a subdomain address at my personal domain (hosted at Fastmail). I have a label/folder for devices I own (such as computers and appliances). So for new GE kitchen appliances I just installed and registered, I used the address:
GE@devices.mydomain.xxx
I created a GE sublabel/subfolder under Devices, so emails to the address above are automatically filed in my Fastmail Devices>GE folder. The normal expansion for delivery is
Quote:
x-delivered-to: GE@devices.mydomain.xxx
x-resolved-to: MyFastmailAccount+devices.ge@fastmail.com
Which gets delivered to the GE subfolder of the Devices folder.

I started doing this years before the masked email option was available. The masked email option is interesting, but I’m so used to my own system that I probably won’t change my behavior.

Bill

Last edited by n5bb : 5 Mar 2023 at 07:39 AM.
n5bb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Mar 2023, 09:28 AM   #42
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
The masked email option is interesting, but I’m so used to my own system that I probably won’t change my behavior.
Bill not adopting a new Fastmail feature? Astonishing! This must be a first!

(The statement I’m so used to my own system that I probably won’t change my behavior, is the sort of justification I often use for being a stick-in-the mud, not just with e-mail, but with life in general!)
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote