EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > The Technical Zone...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Technical Zone... The Geeky forum... Use this forum to discuss technical aspects of email, from authentication protocols to encryption.

Old 12 Jun 2020, 03:59 PM   #1
crowell

Question email on my domain vs other providers

hello everybody,

I planned for a while now to move all my email account toward more reliable providers (from yahoo, yes I know..).

I have my own domain that I plan to keep and few email made there.
  • How can I check are those emails on my private domain safe?
  • How can I improve that?

and if you would advice against moving it all to my private domain emails,
  • What's in your opinion the best free email provider?
I'm using also protonmail, however, in their free options they don't provide an SMTP connection

thanks in advance!
crowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 Jun 2020, 06:41 PM   #2
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowell View Post
hello everybody,

I planned for a while now to move all my email account toward more reliable providers (from yahoo, yes I know..).

I have my own domain that I plan to keep and few email made there.
  • How can I check are those emails on my private domain safe?
  • How can I improve that?

and if you would advice against moving it all to my private domain emails,
  • What's in your opinion the best free email provider?
I'm using also protonmail, however, in their free options they don't provide an SMTP connection

thanks in advance!

Your subject: "email on my domain vv other providers" is a little confusing. Do you mean that "your domain" is somehow tied to a specific provider? If the domain really does belong to you, then it is not provider-specific.

Also: "How can I check are those emails on my private domain safe?" What do you mean by "safe"? Do you mean that if you move mail hosting from one provider to another, will emails stored on the servers of the first provider still be on the first provider's system?
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2020, 05:09 PM   #3
crowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
Your subject: "email on my domain vv other providers" is a little confusing. Do you mean that "your domain" is somehow tied to a specific provider? If the domain really does belong to you, then it is not provider-specific.
I'm using simply.com at the moment but I could change to any other provider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
Also: "How can I check are those emails on my private domain safe?" What do you mean by "safe"? Do you mean that if you move mail hosting from one provider to another, will emails stored on the servers of the first provider still be on the first provider's system?
I'm concerned with my email being exposed/hacked. If such companies like yahoo can once in a while have a leak, I guess it may happen also to my provider. Lately I had problems with my domain, addons got infected and my domain was locked.
  • So what can I do to make sure that it's a long term solution, not something that will bring me problems.
  • Should I rather pay for a provider like protonmail or any other that you can recommend?
Old 18 Jun 2020, 07:24 PM   #4
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

So far, you've talked about "all my email account", Yahoo, simply.com and not explained what services you actually have at each place.

You talk about "addons" getting infected.

Although I see (from Google) that simply.com is a /web/ host rather than an email hosting company (though maybe they also host mail rather than just forward it elsewhere?) I suppose that means that you had a wordpress(?) website hosted with them?

But I'm guessing, and I should not have to. You should explain precisely what you do at the moment, and what you want to know.

As for free services - I have no idea. I believe that generally you get what you pay for. If you use a free service there's little chance that the supplier will look into any problems you have. They may care from their point of view about their system being hacked, or they might not care at all. With a decent-quality paid-for service one generally gets technical support who /do/ care and will investigate problems.

I use Fastmail (and another company in the UK who're mainly an ISP but do host mail too). In both cases I picked them after looking in detail at reviews online, noting other people's email addresses (ie realising they were using FM), and looking eg at the Q&A in the forums here. For the UK company ... they were one with an active usenet support group and their tech staff posted there and discussed technical issues - and it was clear that they understood the tech, and were not just sales people. They also (like FM) are politically active (resisting governmental attempts to snoop on email contents) and interested in internet standards (eg by contributing to RFCs). In other words I looked for people doing email as well as they could, not necessarily those with trendy marketing.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2020, 02:44 AM   #5
jarland
Essential Contributor

Representative of:
MXRoute.com
You can never "know" that your data is safe when hosted on a third party's computer. However, you can control the security of your passwords. Don't reuse the same password everywhere, for example. Don't use email providers that you don't trust, and figure out what things you need to know to trust them so you have a list of demands to compare against service providers.
jarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2020, 09:05 AM   #6
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
You can never "know" that your data is safe when hosted on a third party's computer.
Unless you encrypt everything locally, but that is a pain for the people you are sending to. I think we can only go by reputation, track record, and keep our eyes open. I would argue that is one of the problems with the very small providers. There might not be enough users out there to give you a warning if things appear to be unsafe. The big players have millions or billions of users, so you know that problems will become public pretty quickly. Of course there can always be a rogue employee at any corporation. I suspect that most of us would be horrified to learn what access employees have to our emails if they want it. I just assume that anything I send in an email might be read by someone else. I am mainly worried about the company protecting my email account from attacks, having good spam and phishing filters, and protecting my passwords and other security information.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2020, 05:24 PM   #7
crowell

thank you all for your input and my apologies for the confusing explanation I gave you.

JeremyNicoll it's my lack of understanding of the topic and you've been right about your assumptions - I have a wordpress website and I'm really not sure how it's all connected. I'll go and educate myself. Thanks again.