EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9 Aug 2013, 04:42 PM   #1
Enos

Exclamation US privacy violations

(edited 2013-08-09@08:30 GMT)

Dear Fastmail.fm (or should I say dear Opera),
I have been your customer for a few years, during which I have been extremely pleased with your services, with the sole exception of the dreadful Web interface change.

I am now very concerned, because of recent abuses within the country now hosting your servers: the US.
I have nothing specific to hide from their paranoid three-letter-agencies, but I am concerned for the privacy of my contacts, I am concerned ordinary communications could be misinterpreted and I am concerned service continuity itself could be impacted (as it just happened with the recent closure of lavabit.com).

I understand you do better than other US-based companies in this regard, still I officially ask you the following:

Are fastmail.fm servers and data totally impervious to third-party access as far as you know?
(including physical and supervisor access, excluding network connections)

To which jurisdisction(s) are fastmail.fm mailboxes and network connections privacy and continuity ultimately subject?

Have you planned imminent relocation of your physical infrastructure to independent countries?

My continued use of your services depends upon clear and satisfactory replies to the above.

Thank you,
Kindest Regards from Italy

Enos D.
Security Consultant

Last edited by Enos : 9 Aug 2013 at 05:30 PM. Reason: simplification

Old 9 Aug 2013, 06:02 PM   #2
r33

I share your concerns. I renewed my sub before the whole Snowden thing hit the proverbial fan as I was very happy with the service (even the new web interface), but if I had to make this decision now, knowing about the massive privacy violations and the shutting down of lavabit.com, I would think twice.
Old 9 Aug 2013, 10:25 PM   #3
Ric

I am also quite curious as to your thought on the shutting down of fastmail in a similar fashion to lavabit.

Are there circumstances in which you'd shutdown overnight to protect your customer's privacy?
Old 9 Aug 2013, 10:43 PM   #4
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Are there circumstances in which you'd shutdown overnight to protect your customer's privacy?
Of course, if/when it comes to that, you'd provide compensation for affected customers, wouldn't you?
Old 10 Aug 2013, 04:14 AM   #5
thymara

add Silent Mail to the list of closed services
Old 10 Aug 2013, 06:10 AM   #6
schlocker

Lavabit refugee

+1

Excellent questions OP.

$5 a year is reasonable even if the storage capacity is considerably less than Lavabit, I would be behind FastMail 100% if the ownership has the same testicular fortitude that Ladar Leveinson has shown in the face of U.S. federal thuggery.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 06:15 AM   #7
Ceramic

Also, last time I checked, Fastmail stores our passwords in *plaintext*, so if anyone gets holds of the server HDDs....
Old 10 Aug 2013, 06:32 AM   #8
jcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucalculus View Post
Also, last time I checked, Fastmail stores our passwords in *plaintext*, so if anyone gets holds of the server HDDs....
Citation desperately, achingly needed.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 06:44 AM   #9
jcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucalculus View Post
FWIW:

"[...] all passwords are now stored properly salted and hashed using industry-standard bcrypt."
http://emaildiscussions.com/showpost...5&postcount=96
Old 10 Aug 2013, 06:47 AM   #10
Ceramic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc View Post
Citation desperately, achingly needed.
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=52276

I got into into an argument in that thread with a Fastmail rep who claimed this wasnt a big deal.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 06:49 AM   #11
Ceramic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc View Post
FWIW:

"[...] all passwords are now stored properly salted and hashed using industry-standard bcrypt."
http://emaildiscussions.com/showpost...5&postcount=96

Ah THANK GOD. Thanks for the update.
Old 11 Aug 2013, 01:35 AM   #12
Adon

So, as Fastmail's servers are physically located on the American soil, they are subject to the American law. You cannot operate in a country whille not being subject to the country's laws. Say I cannot go the the USA and punch someone and then tell them that in my country punching people randomly is not an offence.
Old 13 Aug 2013, 02:34 AM   #13
PON
Essential Contributor

Relocating Fastmail servers

I think the answers to the first two questions hardly need to be rehearsed (i.e., are too obvious, but fair enough to ask for the avoidance of doubt). I share the interest in the 3rd question.

I have been a customer of Fastmail since fairly early on. I am considering alternatives that are not (or less likely to be) subject to pervasive intrusive surveillance by the US government. I have nothing to hide but, as a matter of principle, if offered a good alternative (Gmail is not one) based in a country with a respect for privacy and which doesn't violate its own constitution, I would be interested.

Properly regarded, it's a business opportunity for Fastmail.
Old 13 Aug 2013, 04:18 AM   #14
Tom Gallagher

What other country would you suggest they relocate to.? Curious.?
Old 13 Aug 2013, 04:32 AM   #15
north

Enos, did you already get an answer?
Closed Thread