EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 23 Oct 2020, 09:07 AM   #46
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

As a quick follow-up, I believe HEY is close to launching the HEY for WORK service, and I'm planning on signing up with one of my business domains as soon as they send out invitations. I don't know how long the waiting list is (or where I am on that list), but I'll post my impressions once they let me sign up. I was convinced it's worth a longer-term "paid" trial based on my recent more thorough testing of the "normal" HEY service. I want to see how they evolve, especially after my last couple of interactions with HEY support, which have been nothing short of outstanding.

HEY is clearly going through those growing pains of features/stability/identity/refinement, but it looks very promising to me for my business. I don't think it will replace "traditional" email providers, and I'll be keeping my other accounts for now as well (in fact I just renewed my Runbox account during their October special deals). But I think HEY is worth a good look by those who are interested in their workflow approach -- I think these guys are on to something good.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2020, 09:51 PM   #47
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Take the plunge in 2021. After a 6 month period of testing, hey.com will be my main e-mail provider. Pobox.com forwards my domain mail for now until their domain option is available.

Happy New Year! 🎆
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jan 2021, 01:18 AM   #48
ioneja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Take the plunge in 2021. After a 6 month period of testing, hey.com will be my main e-mail provider. Pobox.com forwards my domain mail for now until their domain option is available.

Happy New Year! 🎆
Happy New Year! Definitely jumping on Hey.com myself for one of my businesses when they give me a biz invite! Still waiting for the invite! They deserve some real consideration from anyone who is remotely intrigued by their workflow concept! I think for at least one of my businesses, it will be a big help.

BTW, very curious what pushed you over the edge during your testing -- would love to you know your opinion. It took me two tests to arrive at a positive conclusion.

Also, did you notice that Hey for Work has the team discussion/comments and thread sharing features? I thought that was pretty useful so I'm holding out for the invite, but otherwise I would have already signed up. It seems like some of those collaboration features will be Hey for Work exclusives, so I'm sort of in a holding pattern until I can sign up.
Old 2 Jan 2021, 08:11 PM   #49
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioneja View Post
BTW, very curious what pushed you over the edge during your testing -- would love to you know your opinion. It took me two tests to arrive at a positive conclusion.
In short: the workflow. Although the interface still has some rough edges, they have filled this in well.

Quote:
Also, did you notice that Hey for Work has the team discussion/comments and thread sharing features? I thought that was pretty useful so I'm holding out for the invite, but otherwise I would have already signed up. It seems like some of those collaboration features will be Hey for Work exclusives, so I'm sort of in a holding pattern until I can sign up.
I’m not opting voor Hey for Work, but waiting for domain support for personal accounts. It seems that they implement a send-as solution first like Gmail has. See quote.

David Heinemeier Hansson, CTO Basecamp & Hey:
Quote:
Going to slip into 2021 for personal. We have it rolling out for business right now. And we have a send-as solution almost ready for personal. But full custom domains for personal, if you don't want to use HEY for Work, is going to take a bit longer.

Last edited by Berenburger : 2 Jan 2021 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Text added.
Old 2 Jan 2021, 11:16 PM   #50
ioneja

Quote:
In short: the workflow. Although the interface still has some rough edges, they have filled this in well.
Agreed about the workflow -- for me, I know for one of my businesses, it will be very helpful, maybe a game changer once I dive in, especially the features for subject management and thread grouping, notes embedded in a thread (very helpful for some chatty clients and collaborators where we have multiple streams of contact -- email, phone, text, social media, basecamp, meetings, zoom -- that I want to consolidate info/notes in one thread/place!), attachment management, clips, etc... very good features in there that are well executed and well integrated, that I think will just get better with time.

For other email, I need way more granular and technical control over filters, aliases and forwarding, external email apps and access, better jurisdiction and related issues, etc., so I don't know if I'll ever migrate those other domains, but definitely at least one business with a lot of client interaction will hopefully benefit tremendously. So I'm pretty excited actually.

Quote:
I’m not opting voor Hey for Work, but waiting for domain support for personal accounts. It seems that they implement a send-as solution first like Gmail has. See quote.

David Heinemeier Hansson, CTO Basecamp & Hey:
I missed that tweet, thanks for that update -- and at least now other comments I saw on Reddit make more sense about the "send as" vs full domain support coming up. I don't so much mind the "send as" approach for domains for now, at least transitionally, but the extra project/collection and team stuff in Hey for Work look really good to me, so I think I'm stuck holding out for my Hey for Work invite, which is taking a long time... I was pretty quick on submitting my request for that, but I guess they have many folks ahead of me.

The thing that bugs me the most right now about Hey.com is the jurisdiction, but then again, the domain(s) that I am planning on moving over don't meet the threshold where I absolutely want or need a better jurisdiction. It's just unfortunate that jurisdiction even needs to be a consideration for some situations... but that's a totally separate topic.

I have no problem on the pricing, considering how much I already spend on other services to streamline client interactions, and I have no problem with how "new" Hey.com is, considering I'm a long-time customer of Basecamp, and I'm comfortable with them as a company. I am also impressed with their support, as I had some stellar interactions with them during my testing. I just want my invite.

Anyway, please keep us posted with your adventure with Hey.com, I'll be on board soon when I get my invite.

Last edited by ioneja : 2 Jan 2021 at 11:23 PM.
Old 3 Jan 2021, 06:55 AM   #51
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Anyway, please keep us posted with your adventure with Hey.com, I'll be on board soon when I get my invite.
I do. Although my usage is slightly different from yours. I am only a private user.
Old 10 Jan 2021, 07:38 AM   #52
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Latest news about Hey custom domains.
Old 10 Jan 2021, 09:26 AM   #53
ioneja

Thanks for posting the update. I'm glad they're taking their time with it. This isn't something you want to mess up. Still waiting for my Hey for Work invitation! But I'm okay waiting until it's solid.
Old 17 Jan 2021, 12:29 AM   #54
ioneja

Interesting recent presentation and Q+A about Hey for Work features from Jason Fried at Hey/Basecamp: https://www.pscp.tv/w/1eaKbnLoAMYKX

EDIT: FYI -- release date info estimates from Jason in the presentation above -- he says there are about 11,000 people on the Hey for Work waiting list, and starting next week, they will invite about 1000-2000 at a time, then sometime in February will possibly be the "public launch" of Hey for Work.

Last edited by ioneja : 17 Jan 2021 at 12:51 AM.
Old 24 Jan 2021, 05:44 AM   #55
ioneja

Quick update that they are sending out invites. On Jan 21, Jason Fried from Hey wrote:
Quote:
The HEY for Work invites are rolling out! Over 12,000 people on the list. Just sent the first 250, aiming to get through 1000 today. And then we’ll accelerate until the list is done. Then a pause, then full-on public launch. Here we go!
Old 3 Feb 2021, 06:59 AM   #56
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Quick update that they are sending out invites. On Jan 21, Jason Fried from Hey wrote:
Hey Work is open for business now.
Old 3 Feb 2021, 08:10 AM   #57
ioneja

Quote:
Hey Work is open for business now.
Yes! I got my invitation last week (I guess I was part of the last batch) and haven't had a chance to move a domain over yet and give it a real go, and now they've released it to the public already. So much for the invites. Once I get a domain set up and email starting to flow in, I'll update with some thoughts. Looking forward to this, planning on it this week!
Old 4 Feb 2021, 08:13 AM   #58
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Yes! I got my invitation last week (I guess I was part of the last batch) and haven't had a chance to move a domain over yet and give it a real go, and now they've released it to the public already. So much for the invites. Once I get a domain set up and email starting to flow in, I'll update with some thoughts. Looking forward to this, planning on it this week!
There's a Hey for Work walkthrough video demo published by Jason Fried
Old 4 Feb 2021, 08:25 AM   #59
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

New in HEY today: Send-as an external address via SMTP. Note: this doesn’t work with Gmail, Google-hosted domains, and some Office365 setups (their SMTP setups have additional auth requirements/restrictions), but it works with almost everyone else.
Old 5 Mar 2021, 08:34 AM   #60
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Hey really innovates email.
Blogging straight from your email.

Last edited by Berenburger : 5 Mar 2021 at 09:00 AM.