EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 19 Jan 2014, 05:40 AM   #1
MichaelH

Gmail Invisible Mode Question

Usually, when I am in Gmail, I am in "invisible" mode. I don't need my contacts seeing that I am online and knowing what I am up to.

My Gmail account is set up to use the Google Authenticator for two-step verification; it has been working fine for over a year now. I do the exact same thing all the time: enter account info, receive number by text into Google Authenticator, enter number on log-in screen, complete log-in process.

However, two days ago I updated the operating system on my Smartphone (Android). Now whenever I am logged in to Gmail I cannot go in to "invisible" mode. A message there states I am not in "invisible" mode because of the device through which I logged in:
"Oops! You are not invisible because you're logged into Google Talk from another client, device, or location that doesn't support invisibility."

I never used Google Talk and don't plan to start. And I do not see a setting in Gmail to turn this off. Am I missing something?

Anybody here know what this message means? Is this because of some setting in my phone? Or in Gmail? Anybody here know how to get back to "invisible" mode?
MichaelH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 Jan 2014, 07:04 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

See:
http://karthikkn.wordpress.com/2013/...h-google-chat/

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2014, 05:58 AM   #3
MichaelH

Thanks for the info, Bill.

I am surprised that Google would do something like this (turn on a setting without a user's permission, not make it easy to turn off, and require a third-party product to make the fix.)
MichaelH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jan 2014, 12:45 PM   #4
Cory
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelH View Post
Thanks for the info, Bill.

I am surprised that Google would do something like this (turn on a setting without a user's permission, not make it easy to turn off, and require a third-party product to make the fix.)
I am to. They are doing this more and more now. They now show images by default. Soon they are going to turn on a feature allowing people who "may know you" to be able to email you. I am starting to question Gmail/Google to be honest and their decision making and if they even think about user privacy?
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote