EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 22 Jul 2005, 04:49 AM   #1
drumtrucker

reply no longer uses TO address in FROM address

A while back REPLY used to (at least sometimes, wasn't consistent) the FROM address of the email I was replying to <edit: as the TO address of my reply>. I liked that because I assign all my addresses individually (e.g. yourname@mynmame.fastmail.com).

When it doesn't use the FROM address, I have to click 'change' and paste (or type) custom address in.

Anyway to tell it to use (default to) the FROM address of the received email being replied to as the TO address of the REPLY?

Last edited by drumtrucker : 1 Aug 2005 at 12:41 PM.
drumtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Jul 2005, 07:52 AM   #2
David
Ultimate Contributor

If you have a "personality" set up, that has the same address as the address that the message was sent to, then that address will be used as the "from address" when you reply.

If you have no personality set up your "default personality" will be used.

You can create and delete personalities (and set your default personality) by going to the "Options" "Personalities" section, from the menu at the top of the screen.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2005, 06:27 PM   #3
Prognathous
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by David
If you have no personality set up your "default personality" will be used.
Actually, until recently this wasn't needed. The X-Delivered-To header of the original email was used. This means that even external addresses (such as @spamgourmet.com) were automatically used in the From field.

I can confirm that this is a new bug.

Prog.
Prognathous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Aug 2005, 12:43 PM   #4
drumtrucker

thanks Prognathous!

I edited my original post because I realized I might not have explained it clearly. Hope I didn't make it worse, but I think you know what I am referring to. Hope they kill the bug.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 09:13 PM   #5
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by Prognathous
Actually, until recently this wasn't needed. The X-Delivered-To header of the original email was used. This means that even external addresses (such as @spamgourmet.com) were automatically used in the From field.
The problem with using the X-Delivered-To header is that it doesn't work with external addresses. Spamgourmet is a special case because its header rewriting.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Aug 2005, 09:31 PM   #6
Prognathous
Master of the @

What do you mean it doesn't work? It sure used to work until some change in the code caused a regression and now it doesn't.

Prog.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 04:37 AM   #7
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

I mean in the sense that for an external address that's forwarded to Fastmail, the x-delivered-to address is not the correct one to choose, it's often an address one is trying to conceal.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Aug 2005, 04:12 PM   #8
Prognathous
Master of the @

Ok forget the X-delivered-to, let's focus on the fact that it worked perfectly well until recently, but doesn't anymore. It's definitely a regression.

Prog.
Old 8 Aug 2005, 07:46 AM   #9
drumtrucker

here here

was my favorite 'feature'
Old 11 Aug 2005, 01:20 PM   #10
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

For a while (for around 2 weeks, some months ago) we used x-delivered-to, but it broke on forwarded messages, so we reverted that change.

I'm not aware of any other regression - am I missing something?
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2005, 09:51 PM   #11
Prognathous
Master of the @

Are you sure it was only for 2 weeks? it seemed quite a bit longer than that.

Anyway, this was an extremely useful feature, and I hate to see it going away. I must say that whatever the regression was with forwarded messages, I didn't notice it. Was it a serious enough breakage that warranted backing out this feature?

Prog.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 09:31 AM   #12
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Prognathous
Anyway, this was an extremely useful feature, and I hate to see it going away. I must say that whatever the regression was with forwarded messages, I didn't notice it. Was it a serious enough breakage that warranted backing out this feature?
Yes it caused a lot of complaints, since it caused people's real username to be revealed.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2005, 10:20 AM   #13
Sherry

That sounds like a darn good reason so thanks for that but are there still 3 ways a "real" address can be revealed when a user only uses aliases? (sieve rejects, FM rejects of certain file types and FM notices of accounts over quota)
Am I missing any?

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2005, 06:11 PM   #14
eggman
Essential Contributor

Sherry, are those all in the wiki?
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2005, 02:39 AM   #15
Sherry

I don't think so. I rarely go to the wiki so I can't be sure. Also, I don't know if any of those things have been fixed yet or even if I have it right. I just remember different post about what I mentioned and usually remember things if they have something to do with security of my account (real address).

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote