EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 14 Feb 2017, 01:14 PM   #1
rnkn

Question How to not save specific messages to Sent folder

After trying a myriad of read-late services, I’ve settled on what I find the best: emailing the link to myself, and filing the message into a folder called “Reading”. I have wonderful little rules set up so that emails containing “!!” are flagged, or “@@” are marked as read. It’s the best. (Funny how FastMail always ends up being the best option...)

The only downside is having all these emails pile up in my Sent folder.

Is there any way to automatically discard emails (i.e. not save to Sent folder) when sent to a specific address?
rnkn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Feb 2017, 06:04 PM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Change the From identity to one which has save on sent disabled.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2017, 08:24 AM   #3
rnkn

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Change the From identity to one which has save on sent disabled.
Thanks Bill, good solution. This works from the FastMail web UI. For emails sent from my iPhone I guess I'll just delete the sent mail when it annoys me.
rnkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2017, 09:08 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow How sent messages are saved (two methods)

If you use the Fastmail iOS app on your iPhone, this method also works well. If you are using some other email client, how the messages make it to the Sent folder at the Fastmail server depend on how you have that client set up and how you configure the identity (From address when sending) at the Fastmail website Identities setup screen. If you are using an email client on your iPhone, there are two ways to get sent messages into the Sent folder at the Fastmail server:
  1. Your email client can save the sent message to the Sent (Sent Items is the actual internal name) folder directly via IMAP. So the sent message is saved to a local folder, then that local folder is synchronized with the Fastmail Sent Items folder if you are subscribed to that folder via IMAP. Only the email client has control over whether the message is saved or not.
  2. Your email client can send the message through the Fastmail outgoing SMTP server and not save the message. At Fastmail the Identities setting for the matching From address will trigger the message to be automatically saved (or not saved). You could also have the sent messages with a certain From address to be saved to a different Fastmail server folder (such as a new one you create with a different name), and you could set the properties for that folder to auto-discard all messages after some interval (such as a week). This would give you those specific sent messages saved as backups for only a week (or whatever interval you choose).
In general there is no way to change whether a message is saved when sent based on the To address. But if you change the From address (possible with some but not all email clients on a per-message basis), you can use method #2 above to not save those messages (or to save them in a folder where they will auto-discard after some interval).

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2017, 02:22 AM   #5
jhollington
Essential Contributor

To add to what Bill said above specifically for the iPhone... If you're using the built-in iOS Mail app, there's no way to tell it not to save a sent message to a "Sent" folder, but what you can do is set the "Sent" folder to a local folder that's stored only on your iPhone, in which case it will save ALL sent messages there.

You can then use the FastMail Identities, as Bill describes, to control saving of messages to the FastMail IMAP Sent Items folder on a per-message basis, based on which "From" address you use. iOS Mail will let you set up multiple "From" addresses for a single account and select between them when composing a new message.

It's a kludgy sort of solution as you'll still end up with the local "Sent" folder appearing on your iPhone alongside the IMAP Sent Items folder, and you'll have to select the "From" address on a per-message basis, however it will prevent those messages from landing on the FastMail server at least, and therefore appearing in the FastMail web interface or in other IMAP clients.

Note that if you use a desktop mail client, you may be able to set up rules to handle removing these messages on that end, depending on which e-mail client you use and what features it supports. I know that with Apple Mail on macOS this would be doable using AppleScript, for example.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote